collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Current Formation by Vill I An
[February 28, 2020, 11:37:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by amfy
[February 28, 2020, 11:36:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by aldridgeboy
[February 28, 2020, 11:31:11 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread by robbo1874
[February 28, 2020, 11:20:36 PM]

Re: Relegation Watch by PaulWinch again
[February 28, 2020, 11:16:30 PM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Risso
[February 28, 2020, 11:13:09 PM]

Re: Relegation Watch by aj2k77
[February 28, 2020, 11:10:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by aj2k77
[February 28, 2020, 11:08:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 91530 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1530 on: February 15, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
Telegraph Football Nerd predicts we go down as we concede over 17 shots per game.

Thatís a bit misleading without much context though. We conceded over twenty shots against Burnley, for example, but only really one or two of them were decent goal scoring chances.

Iíd also imagine that figure has improved since we changed system to three at the back.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1531 on: February 15, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »
Have we conceded the highest xG too? Not sure how they determine an expected goal but that stat might be more revealing than letting teams take lots of potshots against us from unlikely scoring positions.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #1532 on: February 15, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »
We've played 25 games, and kept 4 clean sheets.  Of course our inability to defend and keep shots out is hurting us.

Online john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #1533 on: February 15, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
just watch a game with your own eyes that will tell you if your playing well or not itís easy

you donít need stats to tell you how you are performing you can actually see it right in front of you

I was discussing stats with someone on here last year who was obsessed with them, every point he made was with a stat
he produced stats which showed that Hourahane was a better player than McGinn I said Iíve seen them both play mate for the last few games I know which ones the best player

Stats are a load of bollocks just there to try and prove right is wrong most of the time

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1534 on: February 15, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
just watch a game with your own eyes that will tell you if your playing well or not itís easy

you donít need stats to tell you how you are performing you can actually see it right in front of you

I was discussing stats with someone on here last year who was obsessed with them, every point he made was with a stat
he produced stats which showed that Hourahane was a better player than McGinn I said Iíve seen them both play mate for the last few games I know which ones the best player

Stats are a load of bollocks just there to try and prove right is wrong most of the time
what I see is teams running and passing through our midfield to create chances. These stats just back that up and maybe,  indicate how big the problem is.

Online john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #1535 on: February 15, 2020, 10:50:42 AM »

what I see is teams running and passing through our midfield to create chances. These stats just back that up and maybe,  indicate how big the problem is.

still donít need stats to prove that

Online Villan82

« Reply #1536 on: February 16, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
All we had to do this year was finish 17th.

So disappointed the way it is panning out. We have been in trouble since the first game. We have never really caught a breather -today has took the wind out my sails..

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1537 on: February 16, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
When you play in a league across 38 games, across many months, few things are ever down to luck. Of course you can be lucky or unlucky across that time but generally speaking it's down to what we deserve by way of the way you play and your overall attitude. Teams that win a lot of game deserve to. Teams that lose a lot of games deserve to. Teams that go down deserve to. You can analyze the details to death but when you play across 26 games in the manner we have or any of the other sides around us, it will come down to what we deserve. And right now we have completely earned our position in the table and very possibly our relegation in the few months time.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1538 on: February 16, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »
16 games we've conceded two or more goals. It's just not good enough.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1539 on: February 16, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
The reason we lose so many games is because, defence midfield and up front, we are a piss poor side who, whenever we look like getting something from a match, try to throw it away every time.

Itís simply not good enough, and it hasnít been since day one.

Offline Bobby Boy

« Reply #1540 on: February 16, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
Defensively we've been poor all season. Just constant individual errors. This can't just be about the personnel. We just never set up to be solid. We are an attractive attacking team, we play well at times, but our defending and defensive set up is absolutely killing us.

Offline passport1

• Underneath their clothes people are sheep
« Reply #1541 on: February 16, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »
It was only a point but it's another point. I felt we were gone after the Bournemouth game although we played better today I haven't changed my opinion.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #1542 on: February 16, 2020, 04:29:47 PM »
Without reading the other posts I imagine I'm not alone in thinking Son goal has relegated us.

That goal knocked the stuffing out of me and when you see the reactions of our 11 at the end I can see our season going into a tailspin again.

Reminded me of losing to Leeds last minute last season. We won one game in two and a half months after that game. No need to think where we're going back to if we repeat that.

You simply can't play aswell as we did first half and go in actually losing. And then a battling 2-2 and a goal kick on the 93rd minute, respect the point ffs.

Instead we had about 7 players in Spurs half when we'd barely threatened for 25 minutes.

In games like this the naivity of the 11 out on the pitch is incredible to see sometimes. Why didn't the actual back 5 just drop back as soon as the goal kick was taken?! It's something Newcastle would've done to grind out another draw and well they're at least six points clear of us currently.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1543 on: February 16, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
Haven't been able to shut games down and battle it out for draws. We have a soft under belly and an open, soft approach to games. Toughen up and concentrate, fight for every block and knock down or we will be playing Reading again next season watching Wesley lumber around not getting a kick against cloggers like Chris Samba (unless he's retired).

Online Villan82

« Reply #1544 on: February 16, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
Defensively we've been poor all season. Just constant individual errors. This can't just be about the personnel. We just never set up to be solid. We are an attractive attacking team, we play well at times, but our defending and defensive set up is absolutely killing us.

I have been really disappointed in Smith and think he was very lucky not to get the sack after Watford away.

Why has he not been more pragmatic and tried to make us more solid? You can draw your way to safety in this league but we are so bloody so open.

A more seasoned and pragmatic manager would have 4-5 extra points on the board with this lot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:40:24 PM by Villan82 »