collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tom Heaton: gone  (Read 64209 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Tom Heaton: SIGNED
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2020, 12:58:52 AM »
I applaud his perseverance, but I never want to see Nyland in a Villa team again. Too many mistakes, too many times where he has looked ok and then done something inexplicable. Exceptional shot stopper, but he just gives me nightmares.

Nyland had his moments of excellence (Leicester SF) but most of the time he was very frightening.

Also, not his fault, but he always had that facial expression that looked like he thought he was about to drop a clanger. It's the one he has on his face as he carried the ball over the line against Sheffield United. That one.

Haha that has really made me chuckle.  He had that scared shitless face on several occasions.  Against the Albion when Rodriguez handled.  All of the outfield players are chasing down the officials.  He’s got that ‘oh fcuk I’m in trouble here’ look.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
Butland has turned into what Guzan was for the last 18 months here, worn down by poor defences infront and just a walking mistake now. Even at his peak I didn't think he was any better than say Ben Foster. If people don't think Heaton's distribution is up to much then neither is Butland's.

In any case Heaton back in full training and still three weeks to first game must mean he's got more than a decent chance of making the first or second match. Not like he's got to run all over the pitch so it's a different recovery to an outfield player. If he can't make it I'd just start Steer in the opening couple of games.
In interviews they've said Heaton wont quite be ready - we're prob looking at 3-4 games without him.  I agree with you - I'd go with Steer for those.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »
Butland had the necessary. He just needs a bit of a confidence build. Our coaches are good and would give him that. Heaton is a proper team/squad/club man so he'd provide support too.

I'd rather have Butland than Nyland.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
Butland had the necessary. He just needs a bit of a confidence build. Our coaches are good and would give him that. Heaton is a proper team/squad/club man so he'd provide support too.

They haven't managed to build Nyland's confidence though.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »

That's because he knows he's not good enough. Butland, however, can be.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »

They made him passable in the premier league. If you had told me any coach could do that last season with him I would have laughed for an hour straight.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »

A number of decent keepers have failed to bounce back after a bad spell of form and loss of confidence. I think Butland is a keeper on his way down even if he is only 27. Dave Beasant, Chris Woods, Scott Carson, David James, Rob Green were all England Internationals who quickly went from heroes to zeroes.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »

They made him passable in the premier league. If you had told me any coach could do that last season with him I would have laughed for an hour straight.

Absolutely this.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »

That's because he knows he's not good enough. Butland, however, can be.

Did you see some of the colossal howlers Butland made in the league lower down? Nyland, Dino Zoff he ain’t but he’s never been that bad.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2020, 05:27:46 PM »
So if we take Tom as number 1 but he won't be available till after the October international period then who starts in nets for Villa at season kick off??

I would choose Steer if he's fit?
Unlucky with injury, guy needs a break !
Any news there on Jed?

Tend to agree Nyland as back up but he's the only one we know is fit and played in lockdown Covid 19 match circumstances.

I certainly be in favor of him than signing Butland who seems unreliable.
Nyland has proved shakey at times and don't know if I can stand seeing him deal with Sheff utd free kicks and corners again so has to be Steer.

If not a solid new keeper /loan signing of experience like Claudia Bravo available on a free.

The further concern is how fit Heston is and it he can last and survive or if he's now past it as a number one.
He's solid when fit but that was past he's had quite a lot of time out for last few years now.

So maybe villa will even bring in a new GK??

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Heston Blumenthal won't make a keeper - too creative in a wacky way.

Here's a thought: I wonder if we'll play Nyland against SheffU (given the non-goal during the mini-league)? - perhaps if we do, Deano will instruct him to throw the ball into our net, as a gesture of good sportsmanship?

Just a thought     :-)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
Heston Blumenthal won't make a keeper - too creative in a wacky way.

Here's a thought: I wonder if we'll play Nyland against SheffU (given the non-goal during the mini-league)? - perhaps if we do, Deano will instruct him to throw the ball into our net, as a gesture of good sportsmanship?

Just a thought     :-)

That would at least placate all the self righteous Leeds fans who think that’s pretty much what we should have done at the time!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
In goal today for the under-23s against his old club Burnley. Welcome back.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »
Good to see him back in action.  Really feel for him as he was doing well for us, and has now returned to see that even when fit he'll be very much number two behind Martinez.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
It showed real ambition to originally pay for Tom, i think £8mil for a 33 year old, then see him crocked and pay a further £20m for Martinez knowing full well that the wages paid out to Steer and Kalinic would be pretty much wasted when Tom was fit again.

Would have been easier to persevere with what we had and save the pennies

I think these guys are deadly serious.

Who else has a good GK team as us?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal