collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:12:03 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:11:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Diego Carlos by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 11:06:25 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 11:03:32 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 11:03:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tom Heaton: gone  (Read 64709 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Tom Heaton: SIGNED
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
I think you have to look at what message it sends to younger players coming through the club if you'd rather spend money on a non-performing Championship keeper then give them a shot. I'm happy with Heaton/Steer as the first 2 choices. In honesty, I'm probably ok with Nyland as a third choice too, although I'd have preferred Sarkic. He's alright as an emergency backup sub keeper, even if I'd rather not see him actually playing ever.

I just don't see that spending money in that position is a particularly good use of funds right now. We have an England international and a keeper who would probably be first choice in at least a couple of PL sides. For me, there's half a dozen other positions that are more pressing.

When you go to the supermarket knowing you need vegetables, chips, coffee, beer and bog roll as part of your shopping, do you walk past all of them and go to the beer first because that's what you've completely run out of? Or do you pick up all the things you need knowing you can get the beer when it's time?
I'd liken it more to - you've got £10 and you need vegetables, chips, bog roll, coffee and beer. Do you buy some more cod even though there's already some in the freezer?

We've not got an absolutely limitless budget, I'd rather bring in 3 or 4 quality players in our weakest areas than repeat last season again. It was necessary to buy a dozen players filling practically every position then - it isn't now.

Yes if the cod isn't ready. Steer is very injury prone, he's had 3 or 4 at Villa and probably needs to go and play somewhere, Nyland is crapping himself at the thought of playing already, so needs to go. Kalinic just didn't look remotely good enough (although hardly given the chance in fairness), so while there is a lovely bit of cod in freezer, it's not ready yet, and ask the other bits you thought were cod are actually cheap and nasty whitefish that just need binning. If take that lad from Arsenal if  he wants out because Leno is back soon.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
We need Steer to survive 3 or 4 games then Heaton is back.  We then have a good No1 & No2.  Of course there's a chnace they'll both get injured at the same time, but that's the same in all positions really. 

When we have an outstanding keeper nearing fitness and a very capable understudy, I just don't see it as best use of our funds.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
We need Steer to survive 3 or 4 games then Heaton is back.  We then have a good No1 & No2.  Of course there's a chnace they'll both get injured at the same time, but that's the same in all positions really. 

When we have an outstanding keeper nearing fitness and a very capable understudy, I just don't see it as best use of our funds.

100% agree.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
I would offer Stoke £5m for Butland and let Cutler do his thing. Young enough to get back to being a top keeper and would give us a very decent 1 and 2.

If it was true we had a £15m offer rejected by Stoke last summer you'd think we'd still be interested in Butland only twelve months down the line at a cut price deal.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
We've been interested in Henderson too.

I think we're all agreed that Kalinic and Nyland can go. Steer is ok but for some reason he's never been fancied by anyone. Sarkic has gone.

Having a decent keeper is really important. Most decent teams have 2 keepers they have the confidence to give a run of games to. If Heaton got injured again, would you want Steer to be our number one for 3 months?

Butland would be an upgrade on everyone bar Heaton, and for a while he was considered as being better. Perhaps he can be again.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
Yes, I'd be happy with Steer covering for Heaton if he picks up another injury.

Possibly Butland be better, but would he want to come and compete with Heaton?

I'd just rather us spend the £10m we may spend on a keeper ensuring we get our main targets rather than missing them over a few million here and there like we seemed to last season.  (By all accounts we chose not to pay £10m for Watkins and c £20m for Benrahma / Maupay  hoping that Brentford would cave in and they didn't)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2020, 01:07:25 PM »
Yes, I'd be happy with Steer covering for Heaton if he picks up another injury.

Possibly Butland be better, but would he want to come and compete with Heaton?

I'd just rather us spend the £10m we may spend on a keeper ensuring we get our main targets rather than missing them over a few million here and there like we seemed to last season.  (By all accounts we chose not to pay £10m for Watkins and c £20m for Benrahma / Maupay  hoping that Brentford would cave in and they didn't)

Butland would be better. And competition is key in the Premier League if you want to improve. Heaton won't be around forever, I'm sure Butland would be happy in the knowledge of getting Cup games with the view to a long-term place.

I think we chose not to spend the extra last season, this we have more money available to us (and givne the Man City FFP ruling, potentially our owners have more up their sleeve).

For the sake of a few million quid we should strengthen where we can. The defence needs faith in whoever is behind them and in the top division you need three keepers. I suspect Nyland and Kalinic will move on (or maybe Steer is lining up a move).

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2020, 01:52:39 PM »
You make a good case Drummond.  IF he's prepared to come and IF we can get him for c£5m then yes you're right it would be a useful move.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »
I think Cutler would have his hands full with Butland.
He comes over as pretty fragile to me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »

I agree, I think that when a keeper's confidence goes, it's a massive uphill struggle to get it back.  We saw it with Enks and Carson, and I'd say lack of belief is the main issue stopping Nyland being a really top keeper.  Confidence and the ability to command the back line are really important attributes for keepers.  Despite his lack of athleticism, these traits made the defence look better with Reina in goal after the restart.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »

I agree, I think that when a keeper's confidence goes, it's a massive uphill struggle to get it back.  We saw it with Enks and Carson, and I'd say lack of belief is the main issue stopping Nyland being a really top keeper.  Confidence and the ability to command the back line are really important attributes for keepers.  Despite his lack of athleticism, these traits made the defence look better with Reina in goal after the restart.

Even playing Sunday League, having a vocal and confident lad behind me when playing centre half made a massive difference, as opposed to looking round and seeing someone shaking like a shitting Alsation.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
Maybe getting Butland in as an eventual replacement for Heaton makes sense.  Have a good crack at rebuilding his confidence.

Online stubbsyandy

« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2020, 11:19:52 PM »
Maybe getting Butland in as an eventual replacement for Heaton makes sense.  Have a good crack at rebuilding his confidence.
We did a good job with James

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »

Even playing Sunday League, having a vocal and confident lad behind me when playing centre half made a massive difference, as opposed to looking round and seeing someone shaking like a shitting Alsation.

Aye, I worked this out as fill in/semi regular goalie, shouting lots and commanding the game from the back made a significant contribution. I should add beyond 5-aside I’m talking about London Buddhist Centre FC annual tournaments.  And that I know more about Ivor Cutler than Neil Cutler.   

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2020, 11:49:46 PM »
Butland has turned into what Guzan was for the last 18 months here, worn down by poor defences infront and just a walking mistake now. Even at his peak I didn't think he was any better than say Ben Foster. If people don't think Heaton's distribution is up to much then neither is Butland's.

In any case Heaton back in full training and still three weeks to first game must mean he's got more than a decent chance of making the first or second match. Not like he's got to run all over the pitch so it's a different recovery to an outfield player. If he can't make it I'd just start Steer in the opening couple of games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal