collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by olaftab
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 06:12:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tom Heaton: gone  (Read 64719 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Tom Heaton: SIGNED
« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2020, 02:48:31 AM »
I would keep Reina In the squad.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
I would keep Reina In the squad.
Will be difficult as he's signed a 2 year contract at Lazio.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
I would offer Stoke £5m for Butland and let Cutler do his thing. Young enough to get back to being a top keeper and would give us a very decent 1 and 2.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #348 on: August 24, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
I would offer Stoke £5m for Butland and let Cutler do his thing. Young enough to get back to being a top keeper and would give us a very decent 1 and 2.
This isn't a bad idea, keep Steer too; sell Nyland and Kalinic.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #349 on: August 24, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, but I'd be worried starting the season with Butland given what's happened to him in the last 2 seasons.  If Steer is fit I'd rather give him a run until Heaton is back.  Id be ok starting the season with Steer and Nyland in the knowledge that Heaton is nearly back to full fitness and then spend the 5-10m money securing the attacking targets we really want.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #350 on: August 24, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »
I applaud his perseverance, but I never want to see Nyland in a Villa team again. Too many mistakes, too many times where he has looked ok and then done something inexplicable. Exceptional shot stopper, but he just gives me nightmares.

Steer I am ok with, but he has been out a long time too. Did anyone see Kalinic at Toulouse, was he any good there?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #351 on: August 24, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »
I'm not ok with Steer, not because he's a poor keeper but because I don't trust him to last for a run of games. other than the run of games in the promotion season I don't think he's ever been fit enough to be relied on as a regular, he just seems to pick up niggly injuries any time it would be useful to us for him to play a handful of games (with the one obvious exception as mentioned).

I'd honestly not be upset to see all the keepers except Heaton moved on, a new 2nd choice in and then give Sinisalo a chance to be 3rd choice. I'd have been happy for Sarkic to be the 2nd choice but after years of getting nowhere near the first team I'm not surprised he decided to move on.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #352 on: August 24, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
I'm not ok with Steer, not because he's a poor keeper but because I don't trust him to last for a run of games.

I'm not only 'Fine' with giving Steer a chance but I hope he gets to put pressure on Heaton to justify his return. We need high quality competition for first team places not just warm bodies available. Steer has proven himself perfectly capable of keeping for us and in fact gives confidence to the defense, is a good shot-stopper and quality member of the team. We need him for 5 games or so to start the season, with Nyland or Kalinic as reserve if injury hits. I hope Steer plays them all and pushes Heaton to win his place back. He's a very capable keeper who would be automatic first choice at quite a few other PL teams; we're lucky to have him and have him be so calm about being second choice.

Obviously I'd be happy if Heaton comes back raring to go, at his best and grabs the first team place back but in the meantime I welcome seeing Steer display his skills because he is good.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #353 on: August 24, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
I applaud his perseverance, but I never want to see Nyland in a Villa team again. Too many mistakes, too many times where he has looked ok and then done something inexplicable. Exceptional shot stopper, but he just gives me nightmares.

Nyland had his moments of excellence (Leicester SF) but most of the time he was very frightening.

Also, not his fault, but he always had that facial expression that looked like he thought he was about to drop a clanger. It's the one he has on his face as he carried the ball over the line against Sheffield United. That one.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
Yes, the expression that says " I can catch this. No, I'll punch it. No, I can catch it. No, I'll punch it....phew, I caught it...fucking hell Davis where did you come from..I got away with that I think?" that sort of face?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »
Yes, the expression that says " I can catch this. No, I'll punch it. No, I can catch it. No, I'll punch it....phew, I caught it...fucking hell Davis where did you come from..I got away with that I think?" that sort of face?

I think that's the face. I wouldn't want to see the inside of his underpants either. (at any time but in particular, for this reference, at the end of a match).

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »

Aye. I didn't want Butland over Heaton last year (and definitely not at the reported £20 million). 

But £5-6 million with the rest built up on appearances could work.

Offline algy

« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »
I think you have to look at what message it sends to younger players coming through the club if you'd rather spend money on a non-performing Championship keeper then give them a shot. I'm happy with Heaton/Steer as the first 2 choices. In honesty, I'm probably ok with Nyland as a third choice too, although I'd have preferred Sarkic. He's alright as an emergency backup sub keeper, even if I'd rather not see him actually playing ever.

I just don't see that spending money in that position is a particularly good use of funds right now. We have an England international and a keeper who would probably be first choice in at least a couple of PL sides. For me, there's half a dozen other positions that are more pressing.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #358 on: August 25, 2020, 07:06:25 AM »
I think you have to look at what message it sends to younger players coming through the club if you'd rather spend money on a non-performing Championship keeper then give them a shot. I'm happy with Heaton/Steer as the first 2 choices. In honesty, I'm probably ok with Nyland as a third choice too, although I'd have preferred Sarkic. He's alright as an emergency backup sub keeper, even if I'd rather not see him actually playing ever.

I just don't see that spending money in that position is a particularly good use of funds right now. We have an England international and a keeper who would probably be first choice in at least a couple of PL sides. For me, there's half a dozen other positions that are more pressing.

When you go to the supermarket knowing you need vegetables, chips, coffee, beer and bog roll as part of your shopping, do you walk past all of them and go to the beer first because that's what you've completely run out of? Or do you pick up all the things you need knowing you can get the beer when it's time?

Offline algy

« Reply #359 on: August 25, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »

When you go to the supermarket knowing you need vegetables, chips, coffee, beer and bog roll as part of your shopping, do you walk past all of them and go to the beer first because that's what you've completely run out of? Or do you pick up all the things you need knowing you can get the beer when it's time?
I'd liken it more to - you've got £10 and you need vegetables, chips, bog roll, coffee and beer. Do you buy some more cod even though there's already some in the freezer?

We've not got an absolutely limitless budget, I'd rather bring in 3 or 4 quality players in our weakest areas than repeat last season again. It was necessary to buy a dozen players filling practically every position then - it isn't now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:05:55 AM by algy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal