collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:58:40 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:58:20 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:57:58 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 07:57:29 PM]

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:55:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 493988 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3330 on: February 03, 2023, 05:40:09 PM »
Hardly ! I keep Douglas very current as he's a key player and I actually predict him to be our top assist maker come season end.
He has produced some lovely deliveries in open play and from set plays.
Deliveries Evri one would be proud of.

That's a pretty low bar.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3331 on: February 18, 2023, 12:41:59 PM »
Love Dougals Luiz.
He's started game on fire. Great energy.  Really improving. Must be refreshed with his new hair and colour cut!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3332 on: February 19, 2023, 08:00:29 AM »
He was excellent we got worse when he was subbed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 09:37:11 AM by ChicagoLion »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3333 on: February 19, 2023, 08:10:05 AM »
I think he was subbed because he'd been booked. I can't think of any other reason because he was having a decent game.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3334 on: February 19, 2023, 10:22:51 AM »
I think he was subbed because he'd been booked. I can't think of any other reason because he was having a decent game.

Yeah he chased a player down in Arsenals left back position, pushed him and then kicked the ball away which I thought was risky as he was on a yellow. He went off next break in play.

He was really good, calm with the ball, spiky and energetic without.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3335 on: February 19, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »

Not sure why he got a yellow. It was like the ref had to give out a couple of yellow cards after that bit of handbags post the Saka challenge. Maybe the new hair style went against him!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:50:36 PM by brontebilly »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3336 on: February 19, 2023, 10:43:20 AM »

Not sure why he got a yellow. It was the like had to give out a couple of yellow cards after that bit of handbags post the Saka challenge. Maybe the new hair style went against him!
He stepped in after Saka had tied to deck Phil; ref implicated Luiz in the fracas.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3337 on: February 19, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
He was excellent we got worse when he was subbed.

You said elsewhere that Kamara was excellent too yet our midfield was clearly inferior to Arsenal in the second half with Jorginho and Odegaard increasingly more influential. I don't think you can pin all of our collapse on the defence.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3338 on: February 19, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
I don't think Kamara or Luiz have been excellent recently at all, they're both tidy on the ball, but both give it away too much and provide no support in front of the defence. I think they're too similar basically, and we need somebody with a bit more grit to play alongside Kamara who probably has the higher ceiling.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #3339 on: February 19, 2023, 03:14:00 PM »
I don't think Kamara or Luiz have been excellent recently at all, they're both tidy on the ball, but both give it away too much and provide no support in front of the defence. I think they're too similar basically, and we need somebody with a bit more grit to play alongside Kamara who probably has the higher ceiling.

Disagree with this entirely. Luiz and Kamara are some of the only players that we have that can retain possession and make a smart pass. Both of them did a decent job of breaking up play yesterday in the oppo’s build up. As of right now, they are the safest people to pass the ball to in the squad. Everyone else has a better chance of turning it over. Way too critical on these two.. and the club in general in recent weeks Risso.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3340 on: February 19, 2023, 03:19:39 PM »

I think Luiz was pretty good yesterday with the ball and he is a decent player, but you’ve hit the nail on the head that he’s too similar to Kamara but not as good, and we need a destroyer in there instead. Basically a better and quicker version of Dendonkar.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3341 on: February 19, 2023, 03:28:09 PM »

I think Luiz was pretty good yesterday with the ball and he is a decent player, but you’ve hit the nail on the head that he’s too similar to Kamara but not as good, and we need a destroyer in there instead. Basically a better and quicker version of Dendonkar.

Pretty controversial take, but I think central midfield might be better balanced with Kamara and Dendoncker in there.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #3342 on: February 19, 2023, 03:36:07 PM »
Douglas was playing well when he got subbed. I thought it was strange. Duran and Bailey looked lively when the came on. Bailey so unlucky with that shot against the bar, although it was a great save by Ramsdale.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3343 on: February 19, 2023, 03:42:21 PM »
I thought dougie had his best game for ages yesterday. I said during the game, he was getting himself into some excellent defensive positions and closing down and breaking up their play.
In the first half the game was really narrow and very congested with most of the play across the width of the 18 yard box. Dougie was everywhere in that space and help keep them well away from our goal.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3344 on: February 19, 2023, 03:52:21 PM »

Pretty controversial take, but I think central midfield might be better balanced with Kamara and Dendoncker in there.

Balance wise it probably would be but Luiz level of performance on the whole is better than Dendonkar’s. Dendonkar was in the team when we hammered Brentford and comfortably beat Man Utd but I think I’d stick with Dougie unless Dendonkar makes himself undropable the next time he plays or until we can get that better version in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal