collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 491320 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3300 on: January 03, 2023, 02:24:54 PM »
Consistency is the key for a good number of the squad including Luiz. At their best they're probably all good enough for a top 6 club, but they can all also be sloppy on their day and look poor. We now seem to have a manager prepared to drop and rotate people, so they're all going to have to be at it, all the time. How many times under Smith and Gerrard did we say "if we play like that in the rest of the games we'll be OK" only for us to then string together three or four terrible performances. I want to see an end to players like Luiz, Mings and McGinn being 4/10 one week, and then 8/10 the next. No more "I hope this is our bad half" please Mr Emery. Signs are very promising so far though.

Absolutely agree with that.

It is years of meek acceptance of low standards that has seen players of the 8/10 then weeks of 4/10 type persist here for years.

We need to thoroughly raise standards consistently, not just every now and then.

Meek acceptance from who? I assume you mean managers not fans because every single player that fits into that group gets slagged off relentlessly and often has the 8/10 performances dismissed so they can be called 'championship' and offered lifts to whatever team we can convince to take them on a from us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3301 on: January 03, 2023, 02:52:54 PM »
It's been apparent for a good while that Luiz would probably be our best No 8 if he was playing alongside a decent DM.  Now he is i'm suprised how many people are surprised by his form.  He and Kamara have the makings of an outstanding partnership. 

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3302 on: January 03, 2023, 05:27:50 PM »
It's been apparent for a good while that Luiz would probably be our best No 8 if he was playing alongside a decent DM.  Now he is i'm suprised how many people are surprised by his form.  He and Kamara have the makings of an outstanding partnership.

Totally agree.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3303 on: January 03, 2023, 06:15:20 PM »
Consistency is the key for a good number of the squad including Luiz. At their best they're probably all good enough for a top 6 club, but they can all also be sloppy on their day and look poor. We now seem to have a manager prepared to drop and rotate people, so they're all going to have to be at it, all the time. How many times under Smith and Gerrard did we say "if we play like that in the rest of the games we'll be OK" only for us to then string together three or four terrible performances. I want to see an end to players like Luiz, Mings and McGinn being 4/10 one week, and then 8/10 the next. No more "I hope this is our bad half" please Mr Emery. Signs are very promising so far though.

It is years of meek acceptance of low standards that has seen players of the 8/10 then weeks of 4/10 type persist here for years.

We need to thoroughly raise standards consistently, not just every now and then.

Meek acceptance from who? I assume you mean managers not fans because every single player that fits into that group gets slagged off relentlessly and often has the 8/10 performances dismissed so they can be called 'championship' and offered lifts to whatever team we can convince to take them on a from us.

The club.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3304 on: January 03, 2023, 07:43:39 PM »
Maybe centre mid is a bit like centre half in that its' about partnerships and a good one can make players look better. 

Offline bob

« Reply #3305 on: January 03, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »

If you assumed he meant managers why did you go off on one about fans?

You can Google projecting and find out about it you know.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3306 on: January 03, 2023, 08:58:44 PM »

Maybe you should try, projecting means putting your own thoughts and or opinions onto someone else, which has absolutely fuck all to do with my post. I said I assumed he meant the manger (which I consider to be the same as the club) and then gave a reason why I asusmed that because I don't think what he said applies to the fans. Still, words are hard for you I know.

Of course, it's not quite as stupid as giving a subjective opinion about something and then when it gets countered with objective facts claiming the facts are subjective.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3307 on: January 04, 2023, 09:46:20 AM »
I agree with the points made about consistency.  Luiz consistently playing at his best is a key player and a maybe dark horse for future captain.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3308 on: January 04, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
Maybe centre mid is a bit like centre half in that its' about partnerships and a good one can make players look better.

I would take it further and as long as players play as a "team", then they can win against better players and they all look better then individual skills. Look at Leicester in 2016 for the most recent example of that.

Offline bob

« Reply #3309 on: January 04, 2023, 02:42:51 PM »

Maybe you should try, projecting means putting your own thoughts and or opinions onto someone else, which has absolutely fuck all to do with my post. I said I assumed he meant the manger (which I consider to be the same as the club) and then gave a reason why I asusmed that because I don't think what he said applies to the fans. Still, words are hard for you I know.

Of course, it's not quite as stupid as giving a subjective opinion about something and then when it gets countered with objective facts claiming the facts are subjective.

You are an extremely literal person. You do project, uninvited. Perhaps that's a little too nuanced for you, but not everything is always expressed in a post.

Relax.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3310 on: January 31, 2023, 11:15:47 AM »
Arsenal making moves for other midfielders is only positive for us and Luiz remaining.
I think hes improved immensely and is a chief supplier on set plays providing opportunities for goals.
Carry on his trajectory with El Maestro coaching and he'll be a staple in the Brazilian national team midfield.
I love him and how he plays the game.
Class.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3311 on: January 31, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm a bit relieved they got Jorginho as I was half-expecting them to come sniffing after Douglas again.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3312 on: January 31, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »
Seems very settled here now and can see him and Kamara only getting better together.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3313 on: January 31, 2023, 05:27:31 PM »
Glorious insight.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3314 on: January 31, 2023, 05:27:37 PM »
That's a good move for Arsenal. Good player for closing games out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal