collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473183 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2020, 11:14:56 PM »
Great celebration. That passion is sorely needed. As noted above I think there is a real player in there, he's still learning his position and probably isn't being helped by Smith's strange rotation of midfielders. Certainly shouldn't be benched for Drinkwater's benefit; needs to start v Bournemouth.

You're seeing it all wrong. Luiz is fucked after an hour, but coming on when the game is stretched he's a player, and it's winning us points.

Drinkwater is fucked from the word go though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #886 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
Great celebration. That passion is sorely needed. As noted above I think there is a real player in there, he's still learning his position and probably isn't being helped by Smith's strange rotation of midfielders. Certainly shouldn't be benched for Drinkwater's benefit; needs to start v Bournemouth.

You're seeing it all wrong. Luiz is fucked after an hour, but coming on when the game is stretched he's a player, and it's winning us points.

He wasn't that bad. He needs games, and he's getting them. Still more use than the alternatives.

Luiz can win a game but needs at bit of space to do it.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #887 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:03 AM »

I’m not sure continuing to be losing 1-0 and then bringing him on after an hour is the most solid plan though!

But in all seriousness, I get what you’re saying and I do actually think Drinkwater has value but Luiz makes us a better side currently and therefore needs to start in my opinion.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #888 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
Id artwhe have a good 60 mins form luiz than a 10 mins of drinkwater

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #889 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »

Indeed. I can't get behind the notion, given our current lack of quality in midfield, that a clearly very talented player like Luiz is only useful to us off the bench for the last 20/30 minutes. I take the point that he looks gassed at the 60 minute mark, but that goes for several of our regular starters also. That's a conditioning thing and needs to be managed by the coaches and backroom staff. He should still be starting ahead of Drink&drive vs Bournemouth IMO.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #890 on: January 22, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
Id artwhe have a good 60 mins form luiz than a 10 mins of drinkwater

I'd rather have a pint of that than water too.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #891 on: January 22, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
Re; bringing him off the bench - If you look at it on a purely individual basis, then it’s not a bad way of using Luiz, both for the team and his development. We have had to rely on him to play much more than you ideally would for a player at his age and stage of development.

The problem comes in the players that we currently have available to start instead of him.

He’s going to start with Nakamba against Leicester anyway, so we will see how that goes.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #892 on: January 22, 2020, 01:23:43 PM »
I hope you're all right, I honestly do.
Loved the goal and celebration

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #893 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:37 PM »
It was a nicely-taken goal with his weaker foot.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #894 on: January 25, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
I love this bloke, I think with time he will become proper quality.
I agree.  It will take a full close-season to get him fully tuned (ditto Nak and Wes)  but I've seen enough quality to suggest he will become a big contributor.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #895 on: January 25, 2020, 08:08:40 AM »
It was a great celebration. When I got back from the game, I watched the highlights and laughed quite loudly when Douggie disappeared into the Holte.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #896 on: January 25, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Someone said the other day he's younger than O'hare. I think with a player like him at that age some starts and some weeks coming off the bench is right, but he's going to be done player in a couple of years. Sadly after we have done the hard work Man City will no doubt buy him back.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #897 on: January 25, 2020, 09:34:49 AM »
Someone said the other day he's younger than O'hare. I think with a player like him at that age some starts and some weeks coming off the bench is right, but he's going to be done player in a couple of years. Sadly after we have done the hard work Man City will no doubt buy him back.

By 8 days!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #898 on: January 25, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
I think the idea with Drinkwater is to use his experience in the 1st half of games to make sure we go in at halftime still in the match.  this gives confidence to the team that they can come out in the 2nd half believing they can get something out of the game.  After a bright start to the season, it was becoming evident that the team was losing belief if they went behind.

Offline frank black

« Reply #899 on: January 25, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »
I think the idea with Drinkwater is to use his experience in the 1st half of games to make sure we go in at halftime still in the match.  this gives confidence to the team that they can come out in the 2nd half believing they can get something out of the game.  After a bright start to the season, it was becoming evident that the team was losing belief if they went behind.

His experience of watching the opposition as they fly past him. We look better with him on the bench. I think Dean has gambled that it’s match sharpness he lacks and he can only get that on the pitch. Hope he gets up to speed quick smart.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal