collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 266578 times)

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #1305 on: February 28, 2023, 09:13:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm not too worried about Jacob. I think it's probably quite natural for him to have a bit of a blip in terms of form, both because of his age and the change of manager. He thrived under Gerrard, who seemed to give certain players the freedom to create 'that little bit of magic', unburdened by any real tactics. As a player that has a natural ability to run at players, but is still quite raw, Ramsey excelled.

It's a bit different now - he's being asked to do a lot more. There will be more one and two-touch passing to get us up the pitch, and very quick decision making, which will hopefully create more space for him to run into and do what he does best. But it's just taking a bit of time for the team as a whole, and Ramsey, to adapt to that. We saw glimpses of that on Saturday, and I'm confident that with more coaching and a bit of patience, Ramsey will come out of this as a much more rounded footballer.

He's still so young, really. It's probably going to take him a little more time to adapt than some of the others, but he'll get there.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1306 on: February 28, 2023, 09:18:59 AM »
I don't think anybody's written him off, have they? Most people have just said he's not been at his best recently, and probably shouldn't be starting. He improved second half against Everton, and showed glimpses of what he's capable of.

Online boozey182

« Reply #1307 on: February 28, 2023, 09:28:20 AM »
I don't think anybody's written him off, have they? Most people have just said he's not been at his best recently, and probably shouldn't be starting. He improved second half against Everton, and showed glimpses of what he's capable of.

Sorry, yes you're right. I didn't really mean for that to come across so defensive on his behalf. I'm actually really excited about what he will become under Emery - I think his all round game will improve and we'll have an incredible player on our hands, but it just might take a bit of time. After Arsenal, I probably would have taken him out of the team for a little bit, but I'm glad he played against Everton now because, as you say, he did start to look more comfortable.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1308 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »
On Saturday he had 3 very good carries with the ball, I don’t remember much else in terms of linking up, tackling or interceptions shots on target etc.
Whilst I agree he has talent I don’t think his overall contribution is enough
yet, but hopefully will develop into a top player.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1309 on: February 28, 2023, 09:46:02 AM »
My prediction is that next season he'll be linked with moves to a lot of Champions League sides.

Online boozey182

« Reply #1310 on: February 28, 2023, 10:22:40 AM »
On Saturday he had 3 very good carries with the ball, I don’t remember much else in terms of linking up, tackling or interceptions shots on target etc.
Whilst I agree he has talent I don’t think his overall contribution is enough
yet, but hopefully will develop into a top player.

He played a very nice ball in behind the full back for Digne to run onto and put the cross in for Watkins' header. I agree that he needs to do more, and that he'll get there. I suppose the benefit of this season being pretty secure is that we can afford the time for players like Ramsey, and maybe Durán, to get up to speed and bed into this new way of playing. It could save us a lot of time and hassle in the summer.

As an aside, is it a coincidence that the players that seem to have a bit more about them, intellectually, seem to be responding to Emery a bit quicker than others? I've always thought people like Mings, McGinn and Watkins appeared to be a bit more switched on than your stereotypical footballer, and those three in particular have started life under Emery very promisingly. Will we be looking for the next Albert Camus in the summer? I quite like the idea of a team of authors, philosophers and poets.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1311 on: February 28, 2023, 10:47:17 AM »
I think opposition teams have got a bit wiser to him as well this season and are probably adapting their tactics accordingly to try and nullify his deep runs for example.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1312 on: February 28, 2023, 10:50:55 AM »
I'd really like to see Emery try 4-2-3-1, as I think it would suit the likes of Ramsey much better than being stuck wide in a fairly rigid 4-4-2, as in

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne/Moreno

Kamara Luiz

Buendia McGinn Ramsey

Watkins

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1313 on: February 28, 2023, 11:44:33 AM »
I'd really like to see Emery try 4-2-3-1, as I think it would suit the likes of Ramsey much better than being stuck wide in a fairly rigid 4-4-2, as in

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne/Moreno

Kamara Luiz

Buendia McGinn Ramsey

Watkins

I agree with this, i think Ramsey is more effective driving through the middle causing the opposition to literally shite themselves. He does feel a bit wasted out wide.
Either way, for me he’s shown he can compete against the best in this league and whatever dry patch he’s going through form wise, will end soon enough.
Even the best young players lose form, look at Foden.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1314 on: February 28, 2023, 01:12:46 PM »
I think the plan is that, with more possession, that's exactly what we should be doing. I don't see it as a 442 really but rather 4222 where Ramsey and McGinn are moving between when we have the ball but get back into a bank of 4 to defend. That's very much how we looked in earlier games but shipping a bunch of goals and playing against the 2 teams most likely to dominate possession in the league has meant we've been locked in the defensive shape more in the last few.

If you look at https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/aston-villa/40 then click on the games and the lineups tab you get an option to view average positions.

From there take a look at the Southampton match (where we had over 60% possession) and it clearly wasn't a 442. Everton on the other hand looks much more like a traditional 2 banks of 4 approach. I suspect we'll see the more expansive shape again once the defensive stuff is fixed.

Offline crewster73

« Reply #1315 on: March 10, 2023, 01:53:26 PM »
Hes just posted a story on Instagram where hes right at the front in the away end when Grealish scored at the Sty. Lovely stuff

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1316 on: March 11, 2023, 01:31:39 AM »
I recall Tommy Elphick being near the front for that game, as well.

Tommy probably would have been playing but he picked up a bad injury against Derby in the previous match.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1317 on: March 14, 2023, 06:35:34 PM »
Ramsey says

"...the boss has been clear, right from when he came in, that he wants us to take time on the ball. Emi [Martinez] doesn’t rush to play it out to the centre-backs. It has taken time to get used to but we’ve got to.
It’s been difficult at times. I’ve played on the left, on the right. It’s taken a while but I think with each game everyone is getting that bit more comfortable and, with 12 games left, hopefully we can keep pushing up the table.”

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1318 on: March 14, 2023, 07:32:57 PM »
What Martinez does with the ball, looking for the space to be created, is exactly what Man City do, except they tend to do it between the two centre backs (who are better on the ball than ours are), we use the keeper more in that way, but the principle is the same.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1319 on: March 17, 2023, 12:59:59 PM »
Named in the U21 squad for England along with Archer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal