collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522274 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14385 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:26 AM »
When Bailey was on and Everton had the ball it looked more like a back 4 as Cash retreated more than Bailey and Mings stayed quite wide.  I'm surprised it's such a controversial issue tbh.

If we all agreed, this place wouldn't be what it is.... And let's face it, there's not much else to argue/moan about! Which is nice.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14386 on: September 21, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »
In the first half the three centre backs were definitely spread across in a line and the two fullbacks pushed right forward as wingbacks can’t say for all the time but for much of the time in that first half
So it was defo a 352

Can’t say I’m a big fan of it but that’s the way it is
I still maintain it’s more about players rather than formations so as soon as you bring Bailey on for one of the fullbacks
no matter what position you think he plays in we are going to be a more positive attacking force

My point is why wait an hour Before trying to win the game
I know it’s a Southgate template leaving all your attacking players on the bench to bring on after an hour and obviously that has worked for him and it did for us against Everton
But is that the way to go say against Chelsea tomorrow or Man United if it goes wrong you’re then bringing them on when we’re already two nil down the game is gone
It’s a dilemma

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14387 on: September 21, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
John, I think the Southgate point can be left aside. Nobody at club level seriously takes their cues from Southgate - he takes his from them, from people like Conte etc.

Online john e

« Reply #14388 on: September 21, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »
John, I think the Southgate point can be left aside. Nobody at club level seriously takes their cues from Southgate - he takes his from them, from people like Conte etc.

I know but there still is similarities whether we like it or not

And those similarities are very simple England and Villa are blessed with creative and attacking talent
So we had Buendia Bailey El ghazi Traore On the bench
After the first sub we had three Central defenders 2 full backs and a holding midfield Player (Nakamba)
With all those creative place still sitting on the bench

That is an absolute 100% fact unarguable you can put your head in the sand all you like and pretend otherwise but the game was turned on its head when he used one of those players exactly the same as Southgate did in the Euros

So I’m sorry but the similarity is there whether you like it or not
I’m not saying it’s an exact copy I’m saying it’s a similar tactic, Southgate uses 2 holding midfielders so there is a difference but like I keep saying it’s not always about formations it’s about players
Keeping your creative attacking players on the bench for an hour is a tactic used by Smith and Southgate over the last couple of games

Will it turn into the tactic of choice I’ve no idea

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:26:33 AM by john e »

Online Monty

« Reply #14389 on: September 21, 2021, 11:28:50 AM »
Southgate sits deep and waits for the counter, we step up and squeeze the space in the middle, it's a very different way of playing. It's like Mourinho and Guardiola both like 4-3-3, but they use it completely differently - and anyway, Southgate uses 3-4-3, we use 3-5-2, two central strikers and three midfielders to strangle the opposition and make forward runs rather than two, sitting deep, just blocking. And when Southgate wants to make the change, it's never to make a wing back into virtually an out-and-out winger. That shows you something about how high up he wants them to play, whatever shape they're arranged in.

Online john e

« Reply #14390 on: September 21, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Southgate sits deep and waits for the counter, we step up and squeeze the space in the middle, it's a very different way of playing. It's like Mourinho and Guardiola both like 4-3-3, but they use it completely differently - and anyway, Southgate uses 3-4-3, we use 3-5-2, two central strikers and three midfielders to strangle the opposition and make forward runs rather than two, sitting deep, just blocking. And when Southgate wants to make the change, it's never to make a wing back into virtually an out-and-out winger. That shows you something about how high up he wants them to play, whatever shape they're arranged in.

You look at formations used
I look at players used

That’s the difference between us
We’ll never agree but that’s the beauty of it all
UTV

Online Monty

« Reply #14391 on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:25 AM »
Isn't anyone with eyes looking at both?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14392 on: September 21, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
Mings was as left back as left back gets for a good 15 minutes. Bailey was playing left wing. It may not have been the intention, but it was the formation on the pitch.

Exactly.

So if Mings went to left back and Konsa went to right back, who were the two centre-halves in this imaginary back four?

Konsa didn't go to right back. Cash was playing, you might have noticed his goal?

Online john e

« Reply #14393 on: September 21, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »
Isn't anyone with eyes looking at both?

Good point
But we end up going round in circles in the end so we obviously differ somewhere

It’s going to be interesting to see what he does in the next couple of games,
I just have a problem with having the best part of £100 million worth of attacking talent on the bench and leaving it there for an hour hoping to keep it tight not concede then having a go

But like I say we can go round in circles all day long
I haven’t got a caravan to clean but I do have to go out and get some rice for tonights tea
so Have a good rest of the day

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14394 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:45 PM »
If that wasn't obviously 4 at the back for a good 15 minutes I'm not sure what you lot were watching. Anyone attempting to make a case that Bailey was anything other than a very advanced wide forward either off their rocker.

I love this argument. Utterly pointless and very entertaining.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14395 on: September 21, 2021, 01:12:33 PM »
Shapes are fundamentally defensive anyway. With Rondon going off, they barely occupied us in the final third in any event.

Mings starting point remained the gap between the 6 and 18 Yard line. Smith stated that both Konsa and Mings were pushed wider and instructed to get out.

It was a very cavalier and fluid 3 at the back.

For Baileys goal you had Ings dropping into 10 and Bailey pushing up to the highest point in a wide forward slot. Tough to defend when we're full of confidence and crashing forwards.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:14:07 PM by Ads »

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #14396 on: September 21, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »

I know but there still is similarities whether we like it or not

And those similarities are very simple England and Villa are blessed with creative and attacking talent
So we had Buendia Bailey El ghazi Traore On the bench
After the first sub we had three Central defenders 2 full backs and a holding midfield Player (Nakamba)
With all those creative place still sitting on the bench

That is an absolute 100% fact unarguable you can put your head in the sand all you like and pretend otherwise but the game was turned on its head when he used one of those players exactly the same as Southgate did in the Euros

So I’m sorry but the similarity is there whether you like it or not
I’m not saying it’s an exact copy I’m saying it’s a similar tactic, Southgate uses 2 holding midfielders so there is a difference but like I keep saying it’s not always about formations it’s about players
Keeping your creative attacking players on the bench for an hour is a tactic used by Smith and Southgate over the last couple of games

Will it turn into the tactic of choice I’ve no idea
If they where on from the beginning, the opposing manager can bring on subs very early to counter their positive effect, then the element of surprise & tactical change has been lost.
The set up we started with stopped an unbeaten team in their tracks and allowed our management to see where the weaknesses where during the game.
Just a thought.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #14397 on: September 21, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »
Does this help the formation debate...

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14398 on: September 21, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
It's reminded me to buy a poppy when the time comes.

Offline nigel

« Reply #14399 on: September 21, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »
Does this help the formation debate...

Pretty conclusive

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal