collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523456 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14355 on: September 20, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
Quite glad the players ignored him tbh, seeing as we scored zero goals playing Dean's formation and three goals when we didn't.

They didn’t.

The whole point of 352 is to try to get additional players into the opposition half. It’s why the substitute was initially Bailey and not Young as we were being allowed so much space down that side.

I am pleased that we now have the players to be less predictable in how we line up after being so dependent on one player over recent years.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14356 on: September 20, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
for me the key to beating Man U is to get their defence turned and put pressure on them int the centre of the park. For that reason it's the perfect game to try

Martinez
Cash  Konsa    Mings  Targett
  Luiz    Nakamba   Ramsey
                 Ings
   Watkins            Bailey

So 433 but with Ings slightly deeper between the defence and midfield and Watkins and Bailey starting wider (and swapping sides) to either pull the full backs in or centre backs out. The 3 in midfield for us means we have support for our full backs when they attack (because the 3 behind Ronaldo tend to target the same areas as I mentioned above).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14357 on: September 20, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
Quite glad the players ignored him tbh, seeing as we scored zero goals playing Dean's formation and three goals when we didn't.

They didn’t.

The whole point of 352 is to try to get additional players into the opposition half. It’s why the substitute was initially Bailey and not Young as we were being allowed so much space down that side.

I am pleased that we now have the players to be less predictable in how we line up after being so dependent on one player over recent years.

See what you want to see. If you think Bailey was a wingback, I can't convince you otherwise.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14358 on: September 20, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »
Players were popping up all over the pitch in that last half hour, it was total football.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #14359 on: September 20, 2021, 01:11:06 PM »
The formation gives a lot of flexibility, that subs don't play exactly the same way as those they replaced doesn't mean the formation was altered. If Targett was playing so far up the field at a time we needed a goal, then replacing him with Bailey shows good insight from Smith and co. Trying to explain it as Smith eventually catching on his formation wasn't working is trying

They didn’t.

Exactly right and it does seem that the manager now has a lot of options for using different formations and changing personnel. In the last two games I've seen a lot to be positive about.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14360 on: September 20, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

They didn’t.

See what you want to see. If you think Bailey was a wingback, I can't convince you otherwise.

For me the team shape when he came on was not something you can easily put into a little number. It definitely wasn't 352 but it wasn't a back 4 either. It was something like this:

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/61487a2bd998900ebe440038

Bailey was playing almost as high up the pitch as Watkins but Mings definitely didn't go to left back and Cash didn't change position from wing back. I think part of the reason it worked was because it confused the fuck out of them as to who they were supposed to be marking.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #14361 on: September 20, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
Dean Smith gave him the brief to go and do what he does. That’s pretty much like saying do what you want. Bailey is not a wing back, he’s a forward and something of a maverick based on that cameo.  Against ManU we’ll have more of an idea of what kind of player he is.

Online nigel

« Reply #14362 on: September 20, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »

They didn’t.

Likewise.

You don’t like the 3-5-2, which isn’t a problem, each to there own, but just because you don’t like it you can’t just spin it to suit what you want to see.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14363 on: September 20, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »
Whether we can or can’t agree on the system, you have to hand it to Smith for the change in dynamics with the substitution, it was genius and perfect timing.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14364 on: September 20, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »
Mings was as left back as left back gets for a good 15 minutes. Bailey was playing left wing. It may not have been the intention, but it was the formation on the pitch.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14365 on: September 20, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »
for me the key to beating Man U is to get their defence turned and put pressure on them int the centre of the park. For that reason it's the perfect game to try

Martinez
Cash  Konsa    Mings  Targett
  Luiz    Nakamba   Ramsey
                 Ings
   Watkins            Bailey

So 433 but with Ings slightly deeper between the defence and midfield and Watkins and Bailey starting wider (and swapping sides) to either pull the full backs in or centre backs out. The 3 in midfield for us means we have support for our full backs when they attack (because the 3 behind Ronaldo tend to target the same areas as I mentioned above).

Id go with that, apart from mcginn for nakamba if he’s fit enough to play.

As a complete aside, as we were hammering Everton on Saturday, it was exactly 3 years ago that we were beating Rotherham 2-0, the team that night;
Nyland
Elmo
Chester
Jedinak
Hutton

El Ghazi
Mcginn
Hourihane
Grealish
Bolasie

Abraham.

That defence! Weve come a long way in those 3 years!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:55:39 PM by RamboandBruno »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14366 on: September 20, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
Harsh on Chezzie, we fcuked-up his career.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #14367 on: September 20, 2021, 09:22:57 PM »
Harsh on all the defence

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14368 on: September 20, 2021, 09:39:11 PM »
They all did a fantastic job for us, just imagining them here and now playing the opposition we have to play week in week out. Unfair comparison i suppose, we just seem to have travelled far in 3 years imo.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14369 on: September 20, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »
Mings was as left back as left back gets for a good 15 minutes. Bailey was playing left wing. It may not have been the intention, but it was the formation on the pitch.

Exactly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal