collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:52:23 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1535871 times)

Offline Neil Hawkes

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14325 on: September 19, 2021, 09:07:07 AM »
I'm not sure but  think he's got a good shout as the best in that time if you look at it beyond where people finished in the league.

Little overall did a better job but 25 years means you have to take out the cup win and just go on his last season and a bit.

After that every manager had problems:

Gregory - boring football and left us with a squad that was a mess.
Taylor - inherited said mess and didn't have the time to fix it.
DOL - was a wanker
MoN - got handed a golden ticket but hit a brick wall at 6th and then left us with a mess
Houllier - took completely the wrong approach to fixing the mess in first half of the season
McLeish - worst manager we'd ever had up to that point
Lambert - started badly, stumbled on to a decent formula for half a season and then fell to pieces - lasted at least a year longer han he deserved to
Sherwood - replaced McLeish as the worst ever left us with a squad so badly fractured that we were doomed
Garde - Wrong man, wrong time and got fucked over by everyone at the club
RDM - kid in a sweetshop in the summer and forgot that he needed to actually form all the signings into a team
Bruce - been done to death but I'm not a fan, underachieved in his 2nd season and left us with a unbalanced joke of a squad despite having plenty of money and quality to work with.

A few of them had higher highs than Smith has managed but he's not had any lows so far and, importantly, if he left this year I think he'd be leaving a squad that his replacement wouldn't need to do loads to fix, something none of the managers above ever really did. There are things about Smith that I find really frustrating but his squad building and player development has been superb and he deserves massive credit for that.
Spot on, until Deano hit's his brick wall, I'm happy with the continual progression; as intimated above, keep the lows less than the highs.

PS: I'm also hopeful that he will not hit a brick wall, would love to see this guy lift some more Silverware

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #14326 on: September 19, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
Personally I'd have started Bailey today although of course it was better he was used the way he was tonight rather than go off after 20 minutes.

He's obviously going to start next weekend. Interested what else happens. Axel can't play for a start so assume we'll go back to back 4 and guess SJM is ruled out with concussion if rules are followed.

Did think Buendia would drop into midfield but could easily be what played the first half.

Nakamba in for Axel Bailey in for McGinn and play Bailey and Watkins either side of Ings. It's a game we expect nothing from so fuck it lets go for it make them scared of letting us in behind. Bailey's goal today will have a few teams worrying about a high press and/or high defensive line against us he has pace on a par with the very quickest in the league.

I think it would be a shame to move away from the 352 against Man U. What are the thoughts on Targett moving into the back 3 and Young playing WB? I think Matty could do a Staunton like job in there…Possibly Bailey coming into the midfield 3

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #14327 on: September 19, 2021, 03:14:53 PM »
No Deeboy1, absolutely not.  Why change the back three, we are not Gareth Southgate.   Stick with Konsa, Tuanzebe and Mings unless we go to four at the back.  I cannot see Targett being a left centre back when we have Hause and Mings ready for that role.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:17:02 PM by Steve67 »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14328 on: September 19, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
There are some sickening posts on here.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14329 on: September 19, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »
No Deeboy1, absolutely not.  Why change the back three, we are not Gareth Southgate.   Stick with Konsa, Tuanzebe and Mings unless we go to four at the back.  I cannot see Targett being a left centre back when we have Hause and Mings ready for that role.

Axel can't play v Man. United so would have to be Hause. Get him on Ronaldo for every set piece.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #14330 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
Very true SHQ.  I reckon we go back to a back four and get Bailey in the starting line up.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #14331 on: September 19, 2021, 04:48:10 PM »
I'm not sure but  think he's got a good shout as the best in that time if you look at it beyond where people finished in the league.

Little overall did a better job but 25 years means you have to take out the cup win and just go on his last season and a bit.

After that every manager had problems:

Gregory - boring football and left us with a squad that was a mess.
Taylor - inherited said mess and didn't have the time to fix it.
DOL - was a wanker
MoN - got handed a golden ticket but hit a brick wall at 6th and then left us with a mess
Houllier - took completely the wrong approach to fixing the mess in first half of the season
McLeish - worst manager we'd ever had up to that point
Lambert - started badly, stumbled on to a decent formula for half a season and then fell to pieces - lasted at least a year longer han he deserved to
Sherwood - replaced McLeish as the worst ever left us with a squad so badly fractured that we were doomed
Garde - Wrong man, wrong time and got fucked over by everyone at the club
RDM - kid in a sweetshop in the summer and forgot that he needed to actually form all the signings into a team
Bruce - been done to death but I'm not a fan, underachieved in his 2nd season and left us with a unbalanced joke of a squad despite having plenty of money and quality to work with.

A few of them had higher highs than Smith has managed but he's not had any lows so far and, importantly, if he left this year I think he'd be leaving a squad that his replacement wouldn't need to do loads to fix, something none of the managers above ever really did. There are things about Smith that I find really frustrating but his squad building and player development has been superb and he deserves massive credit for that.
Spot on, until Deano hit's his brick wall, I'm happy with the continual progression; as intimated above, keep the lows less than the highs.

PS: I'm also hopeful that he will not hit a brick wall, would love to see this guy lift some more Silverware
I agree totally here. Out of the many managers we've had since I started going to games (1988), I'd say there's only SGT (1st spell), Big Fat Ron, Brian Little, John Gregory, and MON who've enjoyed anything like the success that Dean Smith has. It's hard to compare managers after that as they're very different eras and have had to work in different circumstances .. but right now i'd be fairly comfortable with putting Dean in the first 3 in that list rather than the second 2. I think he's a great manager and there's every chance that he'll be remembered very fondly when he finally does leave.

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #14332 on: September 19, 2021, 05:07:07 PM »

Was only because Axel can’t play. I guess Hause is the safer option but the more I see Targett the less I’m convinced he’s a creative wing back without that Man City player in front of him.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #14333 on: September 19, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »

Was only because Axel can’t play. I guess Hause is the safer option but the more I see Targett the less I’m convinced he’s a creative wing back without that Man City player in front of him.

It's probably suicidal but I'd love to see this:

Martinez
Cash      Konsa     Mings    Targett
               Luiz    SJM
                 Buendia
Traore       Watkins.       Bailey

Go for broke against United.  Ings, Hause, Sanson, Ramsey (perhaps instead of Buendia) all on the bench and potentially ready to help to change the game.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14334 on: September 19, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
I don't like Luiz and McGinn sat in front of the back four Steve. They're both useless at it, and look far more effective in a midfield 3. If that means it has to be a 5-3-2 then so be it, but I'd rather go 4-3-3.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14335 on: September 19, 2021, 05:42:03 PM »
Bailey has to start now so that's the main crux of what formation we play. Personally I'd leave Ings out as he really wasn't great in similar game v Chelsea.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14336 on: September 19, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
I don't like Luiz and McGinn sat in front of the back four Steve. They're both useless at it, and look far more effective in a midfield 3. If that means it has to be a 5-3-2 then so be it, but I'd rather go 4-3-3.

With apologies to cd and LeeB for being a turncoat, after yesterday and last week my new most hated formation is 4-2-3-1. It's neither one thing or the other. We have shown that three (and it must always be three and never five) at the back can work for us.

My gun and my badge have been placed solemnly on the desk.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14337 on: September 19, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
I agree with Sexual Ealing. 4-2-3-1 is the devil's work.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #14338 on: September 19, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
Bailey has just recovered from a hamstring injury, has just sustained a quadrucep injury.  Why the arse, oh why, would we be playing him in the 2 bob cup?? 

Smith had the foresight to understand his formation wasn't working, he changed it, we scored 3 in 10 minutes.  Let's give hum some credit.  The options are available and he is using them.  Well done.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14339 on: September 19, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »
I agree with SE and Risso, we haven’t got the two right players to sit there for starters and I can’t see how we can leave Ramsey out either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal