collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:01:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522630 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5400 on: December 16, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
I am worried for Dean but at this moment and on balance I am not for changing the manager.  Three winnable games as has been said.  But look at the runs the jack average teams in this league tend to go on.  Arsenal didn't win for two months then fluked a win at Wet Spam - so have won once in that two month spell. Wet Spam - how long since they won before they played well and won against Chelsea before being back to turgid against Arsenal.  Burnley didn't win for a while.  Bournemouth went on a horrendous run - then they somehow manage to win at Chelsea.  This is what the league is about below I would say the top two - because even Citeh with all their billions have been inconsistent this season.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5401 on: December 16, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »
Very good posts Supertom and KT.

Including the bots about Whelan, Hutton and Sturridge?

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #5402 on: December 16, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Lets just remember the first season back in the old First Division after Graham Taylor got us promoted, we stayed up by goal difference over West Ham. If he had been sacked then we would not have had the following season of being runners up to Liverpool. Dean Smith is still the same manager that we were all praising last May so we need to show a bit of class as supporters and give him time.

Taylor's season has absolutely no bearing on this season whatsoever.

Your missing the point, it was about us fans keeping faith.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5403 on: December 16, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

If I'm honest Risso, I think the optimum time to sack him will be tomorrow so they can bring someone in to have a quick look at the squad in readiness for making a few smart signings in January. It's such a gamble either way.

Ridiculous. Suggesting sacking a manager we've just handed a new contract to, on the even of a cup quarter final? Yes, we are in a bit of a slump and yes things do we need to improve but the lack of patience is truly staggering.

Given what we spent in the summer, any manager with 15 points after 17 games would be under serious pressure. Particularly one who is simply not learning from his mistakes. Next three games are huge and we go into them on the back of dreadful performances in recent games.

If Smith wasn't a Villa fan there wouldn't be a single poster suggesting we back him all the way back to the championship.

We spent the money in the summer because we had to replace virtually an entire squad who were past it and out of contract, thanks to the previous manager. You can't use the money spent as a stick to beat him with, he's had to bring in 13 players so the total is going to be high. It wasn't an Everton situation where he's had £200m to spend just on a few additions. By all means, comment on performance but money spent has got nothing to do with it as a qualifier.

Fair enough was going to take time to bed them in, though Mings and AEG were re-signed and many others are just squad filler replacing squad filler. But our performance levels are falling off a cliff in recent weeks, at this stage the team should be improving. It wasn't as if Smith was picking up players from the bargain basement either. 15m on a left back, 22m on a striker, 15m on a playmaker, 16m or so on our two backup centre backs.....

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #5404 on: December 16, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

If I'm honest Risso, I think the optimum time to sack him will be tomorrow so they can bring someone in to have a quick look at the squad in readiness for making a few smart signings in January. It's such a gamble either way.

Ridiculous. Suggesting sacking a manager we've just handed a new contract to, on the even of a cup quarter final? Yes, we are in a bit of a slump and yes things do we need to improve but the lack of patience is truly staggering.

Given what we spent in the summer, any manager with 15 points after 17 games would be under serious pressure. Particularly one who is simply not learning from his mistakes. Next three games are huge and we go into them on the back of dreadful performances in recent games.

If Smith wasn't a Villa fan there wouldn't be a single poster suggesting we back him all the way back to the championship.
Dreadful performances? I was at Old Trafford just 2 weeks ago when we got a well deserved draw and could of won it but for the heel of Jack Grealish. I think some perspective needs to be applied on here by some posters.

Man Utd are a bog standard mid table team these days. Everton also got a deserved point there yesterday. Decent performance but a point at Old Trafford isn't what it once was. Martial also missed from two yards out late on. Arguably the final score in the three performances since flattered us.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5405 on: December 16, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
It's not because he's a Villa fan. It's because he's been here barely a year,  worked one miracle already and we've had a few bad performances against better teams than us. If you want him sacked after that, good luck persuading any decent manager that joining the Villa would be anything other than disastrous for his career.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:46:42 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5406 on: December 16, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
good luck persuading any decent manager that joining the Villa would be anything other than disastrous for his career.

I don't think that argument stands up to much scrutiny. People said it last year about Bruce in respect of him getting us to the play off final and his family situation, but Dean Smith still joined.  I don't think many managers would not take a job because they think the previous incumbent was sacked too quickly.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5407 on: December 16, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
good luck persuading any decent manager that joining the Villa would be anything other than disastrous for his career.

I don't think that argument stands up to much scrutiny. People said it last year about Bruce in respect of him getting us to the play off final and his family situation, but Dean Smith still joined.  I don't think many managers would not take a job because they think the previous incumbent was sacked too quickly.

Do you not think Dean Smith just might be a unique case where Villa are concerned, and Bruce had two tears of failurw to justify his sacking. There's your scrutiny.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5408 on: December 16, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Very good posts Supertom and KT.

Including the bots about Whelan, Hutton and Sturridge?
I mentally glossed over the names but agree on the sentiment.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #5409 on: December 16, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
It's not because he's a Villa fan. It's because he's been here barely a year,  worked one miracle already and we've had a few bad performances against better teams than us. If you want him sacked after that, good luck persuading any decent manager that joining the Villa would be anything other than disastrous for his career.

Villa Park has been a career ender for many a promising or decent manager for nigh on 30 years. Yet they still come, why is that?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5410 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
I think it is too early to talk about sacking Smith.
But he does need to get a response from this team starting Saturday.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #5411 on: December 16, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

Villa Park has been a career ender for many a promising or decent manager for nigh on 30 years. Yet they still come, why is that?

Probably because in terms of size of club, we have been a step up for all of them and they would have also increased their wages sizeably.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5412 on: December 16, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »

Because for most of them it was either a step up or their destiny. Most of them also failed.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #5413 on: December 16, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Promising or decent managers haven't worked for over 20 years. We are now richer than ever, owners with success in mind.....why not go for Pochettino? I like Dean, but how long will the owners give him?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5414 on: December 16, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »
Lets just remember the first season back in the old First Division after Graham Taylor got us promoted, we stayed up by goal difference over West Ham. If he had been sacked then we would not have had the following season of being runners up to Liverpool. Dean Smith is still the same manager that we were all praising last May so we need to show a bit of class as supporters and give him time.

This is the attitudes I'm all for!
Dean Smith knows the game .
If he felt he wasn't up to it he walk for the sake of Villa.
however he is up to it and this post is a good indication to remind of what can happen
Allen allez allez
In Dean we trust

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal