collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Boxing Day 1968 by dave.woodhall
[Today at 04:21:33 PM]

Aston Villa vs Newcastle Utd pre-match thread (POSTPONED) by ChicagoLion
[Today at 04:16:05 PM]

When I was thirty-five by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:41:54 PM]

January Transfer Window by paul_e
[Today at 03:33:47 PM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

Watching Villa from overseas by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 02:34:59 PM]

f1 by UK Redsox
[Today at 12:38:19 PM]

Jack Grealish - for life? by Drummond
[Today at 12:08:16 PM]

December 03, 2020, 09:02:57 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 225 | Comments: 5

It was a very good year, it wa...
November 30, 2020, 02:14:45 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 348 | Comments: 3

It was a very good year. It wa...
November 28, 2020, 04:35:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 256 | Comments: 0

Long -time H&V stalwart Simon ...
November 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 888 | Comments: 13

Coming to Villa Park in Octobe...
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 635 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 689458 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5370 on: December 15, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
At the start of the season most of us wanted above all to stay up, so the benchmark is 17th in the league. If weíd have taken that before this season kicked off the same theory would have come with a run of games without a win few times in a season, with periods with loss of form. So far we are pretty much in and around that position and pretty much how I expected this season to pan out.

yeah we would have accepted 17th but honestly I was hoping for better than that and still am

maybe Iím being unrealistic but I did think we would be playing better than we are

Offline Ian J

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #5371 on: December 15, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
At the start of the season most of us wanted above all to stay up, so the benchmark is 17th in the league. If weíd have taken that before this season kicked off the same theory would have come with a run of games without a win few times in a season, with periods with loss of form. So far we are pretty much in and around that position and pretty much how I expected this season to pan out.

yeah we would have accepted 17th but honestly I was hoping for better than that and still am

maybe Iím being unrealistic but I did think we would be playing better than we are
Iím still hopeful we will. We havenít turned into a bad team overnight so letís see what the next few matches bring.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #5372 on: December 15, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
Iím fully behind DS. We already knew from his Brentford days that his teams go through long good then bad runs. Iím wondering whether itís is a product of being inflexible tactically. His teams get into a groove, either good, in which case he keeps things similar for obvious reasons, or bad, in which case he doesnít do much to arrest the slump. Iíd like to see Iím learn to adapt a bit more.

Offline Ian J

« Reply #5373 on: December 15, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
Iím fully behind DS. We already knew from his Brentford days that his teams go through long good then bad runs. Iím wondering whether itís is a product of being inflexible tactically. His teams get into a groove, either good, in which case he keeps things similar for obvious reasons, or bad, in which case he doesnít do much to arrest the slump. Iíd like to see Iím learn to adapt a bit more.
Or maybe the bad periods are down to a limited squad? We have a pretty good first 11, maybe only 10 as the jury is certainly out on Wes. Past that it certainly showing some of our players are either not quite ready, or up to speed with this league or maybe not good enough.

Iím sure Brentford never had a big squad either.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 21.08.2021
« Reply #5374 on: December 15, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
We have a pretty good first 11, maybe only 10 as the jury is certainly out on Wes.

Pretty good first 10?

Which of are squad are demonstrably good enough for this level? Not potentially, but clearly as demonstrated thus far this season.

Heaton, Mings, Engels, Guilbert, Grealish, McGinn.

That's it in my opinion.

Our options up front - Kodjia, Wesley, Davis - are particularly poor. How many sides would we expect to stay up with those options up front?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:02:58 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #5375 on: December 15, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
We have a pretty good first 11, maybe only 10 as the jury is certainly out on Wes.

Pretty good first 10?

Which of are squad are demonstrably good enough for this level? Not potentially, but clearly as demonstrated thus far this season.

That's it in my opinion.

Our options up front - Kodjia, Wesley, Davis - are particularly poor. How many sides would we expect to stay up with those options up front?

Very much agree with this. Weíve got 5 places up for grabs in the team at the moment and no one is really doing much to cement their place other than maybe Targett. Nakamba and Luiz are struggling to adapt and our up front options Wesley, Trez, El Ghazi, Davis, Jota have been woeful.

Offline Ian J

« Reply #5376 on: December 15, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »

Pretty good first 10?

That's it in my opinion.

Weíve had some very good performances with the starting 11 but unfortunately we have not got the results we may have deserved which is why I still have hope. I agree weíre barely good enough to stay up, hopefully just about, but I donít think is down to Smithís abilities.

What Iím trying say is before we kicked off this season we hoped to finish above 18th, and if we did just about do that we knew it was going to be a very rough ride before the season started. So what has changed now that is happening?

I do hope we can strengthen in January, we certainly can do with it.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #5377 on: December 15, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »
The football is not great, Dean needs to change things & he doesnít. We have played well & lost, played badly & lost. I just hope we stop up.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #5378 on: December 15, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
As Paulie has indicated, I don't think Dean has the armoury to change things too much.  The bench isn't great, many players are out of form, Dean is not altering the way we play to fit the match.  Not good signs. We cannot afford to sign the up and comings in January unless the CEO has accepted that we might go down and we put things in place for a quick return.  Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #5379 on: December 15, 2019, 09:07:44 PM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5380 on: December 15, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
Lose Saturday and they will be tempted to call Poch.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #5381 on: December 15, 2019, 09:26:50 PM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

If I'm honest Risso, I think the optimum time to sack him will be tomorrow so they can bring someone in to have a quick look at the squad in readiness for making a few smart signings in January. It's such a gamble either way.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #5382 on: December 15, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »

Well that will be a short conversation.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5383 on: December 15, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »

Yeh,when can I start.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #5384 on: December 15, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »

Yeh,when can I start.

Not sure if you've been drinking or are just trolling a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal