collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522182 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5385 on: December 16, 2019, 08:10:00 AM »
Precisely Clampy!
It's not that long ago we took 4 points from the 2 uniteds (it could easily have been 6).
How about a little support (there's a novel concept) for Deano and the team before and around the Christmas fixtures, instead of calling for a new manager and then we'll see where we are going into the new year.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #5386 on: December 16, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Absolutely spot on. I can’t believe what I read on here sometimes. Absolutely unbelievable

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5387 on: December 16, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
I'm 110% behind Dean Smith we will be Ok come the end of the season we need to get behind Dean Smith and the team and give them our full support can't keep sacking managers just because we aren't playing well some of the things I have read on social media are truly unbelievable.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5388 on: December 16, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
Theres an element of our support which really grinds my gears. Walked into the pub on Saturday just after Grealish had missed the pen and my mate who has been slagging off Dean and co since about 4 games into the season come running over to me and said "i told you he's crap. Smith's gotta goo and ranted joyously (cos he likes being right) we're going down, the owners are in it for the money and just wan't the 100 mill parachute payments" Fuck me we have some negative fans that really know how to take being negative to the next level.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #5389 on: December 16, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
I'm as frustrated as anyone but this talk of sacking Smith is highly premature IMO.

He has 3 huge winnable games coming up with which to set things right. Win them all and we could be comfortably mid-table. Win two, draw one, we're still in good shape. Etc. etc.

If we're down in the bottom 3 after those games, I could forgive the talk of sacking him, but does he really deserve to lose his job at this present moment in time? I don't think so.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5390 on: December 16, 2019, 09:53:55 AM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

If I'm honest Risso, I think the optimum time to sack him will be tomorrow so they can bring someone in to have a quick look at the squad in readiness for making a few smart signings in January. It's such a gamble either way.

Ridiculous. Suggesting sacking a manager we've just handed a new contract to, on the even of a cup quarter final? Yes, we are in a bit of a slump and yes things do we need to improve but the lack of patience is truly staggering.

I have never once said that I think we should sack him.  I am simply saying that if the club were to sack him, then this week would seem to be the most sensible time to do it.  Let me be clear Clampy.  I am not suggesting he is sacked at this point.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5391 on: December 16, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm as frustrated as anyone but this talk of sacking Smith is highly premature IMO.

He has 3 huge winnable games coming up with which to set things right. Win them all and we could be comfortably mid-table. Win two, draw one, we're still in good shape. Etc. etc.

If we're down in the bottom 3 after those games, I could forgive the talk of sacking him, but does he really deserve to lose his job at this present moment in time? I don't think so.
Agreed ATAL.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #5392 on: December 16, 2019, 10:08:45 AM »
There's definitely an element amongst our support who just revel in misfortune and seem to naturally gravitate towards only seeing the worst possible outcomes. Each to their own I guess.

Yes this run of results has been brutal but for me, I'm fully behind Dean Smith. We've been down the road of swapping managers constantly and it's part of the reason we ultimately got relegated. We've been so fortunate to get back to the top flight, earlier than expected. We as fans are integral to the mood around the club. We can foster an atmosphere of strength and unity in the face of hardship, or we can panic and help to create a storm.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5393 on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
In my view 100% Smith will build this team and squad that what he does.

Respectfully I acknowledge others thoughts that there are calls to want some sort of change or notable difference in performance or style and tactics

For me no I'm firmly in the Smith is definitely the man for Villa at this time and long term as long as all goes ok.
I genuinely feel comfortable and confident with Dean Smith and his ability as a coach.

And of course Liverpool in the cup and the Southampton and Norwich matches are won and won well then everyone smiling
Certainly winning the two games this week , and with some panache will go some way to
alleviating the discontented.
I can't help thinking if Villa don't win these games comfortably then be grievances by some villa folk.

Most importantly the wins are the key .
I don't see much to fear from the cup and the next 2 matches and in all honesty I expect Villa to show some good football in these matches and a few goals.
It will , expectedly  be a lot easier in these 3 matches that it has all season and then confidence taken into Watford match.
I'm sticking with Smith no reason not too.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5394 on: December 16, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
Begs another question:  how about we yo-yo for a couple of years until we find out feet?

No ta. We've seen already what a slog the Championship is and how hard it is to get out of.  Go down and that's the last time we'll see jack in a Villa shirt.  I hope that Smith keeps us up, but the next three games are enormous and if he doesn't sort it out then he needs to be sacked before January.

If I'm honest Risso, I think the optimum time to sack him will be tomorrow so they can bring someone in to have a quick look at the squad in readiness for making a few smart signings in January. It's such a gamble either way.

Ridiculous. Suggesting sacking a manager we've just handed a new contract to, on the even of a cup quarter final? Yes, we are in a bit of a slump and yes things do we need to improve but the lack of patience is truly staggering.

Given what we spent in the summer, any manager with 15 points after 17 games would be under serious pressure. Particularly one who is simply not learning from his mistakes. Next three games are huge and we go into them on the back of dreadful performances in recent games.

If Smith wasn't a Villa fan there wouldn't be a single poster suggesting we back him all the way back to the championship.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5395 on: December 16, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »

Given what we spent in the summer, any manager with 15 points after 17 games would be under serious pressure. Particularly one who is simply not learning from his mistakes. Next three games are huge and we go into them on the back of dreadful performances in recent games.

If Smith wasn't a Villa fan there wouldn't be a single poster suggesting we back him all the way back to the championship.
Dreadful performances? I was at Old Trafford just 2 weeks ago when we got a well deserved draw and could of won it but for the heel of Jack Grealish. I think some perspective needs to be applied on here by some posters.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #5396 on: December 16, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »

We spent the money in the summer because we had to replace virtually an entire squad who were past it and out of contract, thanks to the previous manager. You can't use the money spent as a stick to beat him with, he's had to bring in 13 players so the total is going to be high. It wasn't an Everton situation where he's had £200m to spend just on a few additions. By all means, comment on performance but money spent has got nothing to do with it as a qualifier.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5397 on: December 16, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
If Southampton turn us over I think attitudes could change.

We would be under huge pressure. It's the biggest match we've played since the play off final so the players need to train well this week, get some confidence from playing Liverpool under 12s and be ready for the match.

We lose to Southampton and we're 3 points behind them all of a sudden. Indeed if Everton draw at home to Arsenal (I expect them to win given what a shower Arsenal are) we'll be 3 points just off 17th.

Hugely disappointing given how comfortable we were after the Newcastle game and there's no doubt Wes and Nas wouldn't just be sat there twiddling their thumbs.

Feelers would start be put out especially as we have a decent run of fixtures up to start of March. Let's hope it dose't come to that.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #5398 on: December 16, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
Lets just remember the first season back in the old First Division after Graham Taylor got us promoted, we stayed up by goal difference over West Ham. If he had been sacked then we would not have had the following season of being runners up to Liverpool. Dean Smith is still the same manager that we were all praising last May so we need to show a bit of class as supporters and give him time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5399 on: December 16, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
Lets just remember the first season back in the old First Division after Graham Taylor got us promoted, we stayed up by goal difference over West Ham. If he had been sacked then we would not have had the following season of being runners up to Liverpool. Dean Smith is still the same manager that we were all praising last May so we need to show a bit of class as supporters and give him time.

Taylor's season has absolutely no bearing on this season whatsoever.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal