collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653835 times)

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2700 on: September 13, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
Haha. I think any impartial person in full possession of the facts would conclude that Rangers are realistically the worse of the two.

But I have witnessed plenty of pro-IRA and anti-protestant nonsense from sections of Celtic supporters, and that shit is unacceptable as well.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2701 on: September 14, 2021, 01:24:20 AM »
At the recent old firm game the Rangers fans were referencing that Celtic fans should go home because the famine was over.
This is vent occurred 170 years ago and pre dates the clubs.
And there was no away fans.
It’s a societal problem and until it’s taken seriously it will always be there.

Yep. As an English guy from an Irish background, I had a very strange experience in Glasgow. I visited Ibrox just to have a look and I was intimidated, followed, suffered sectarian abuse, spat at in the street. It was like they smelled the cabbage and white pudding in my genes.

I thought 'oh great, I got shit around Ibrox for having an Irish-looking head, I'll get shit around Parkhead for having an English accent' but everyone was really nice.

Mirrors almost exactly my experience, except I’m English with no other background and mine was in the pubs in Glasgow. I thought I’d be fine with Rangers fans and hated by Celtic, but it was wrong on both counts. It’s why the ignorant ‘bigot brothers’ jibes wind me up. It’s like saying the blacks and whites in the Deep South USA are all as bad as each other, especially when taking into account the history of Irish persecution in Scotland..

Good job you weren't using your alias Mr Pennell, otherwise you would have been strung up in the West End of Glasgow. 

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2702 on: September 14, 2021, 03:18:33 AM »
At the recent old firm game the Rangers fans were referencing that Celtic fans should go home because the famine was over.
This is vent occurred 170 years ago and pre dates the clubs.
And there was no away fans.
It’s a societal problem and until it’s taken seriously it will always be there.

Yep. As an English guy from an Irish background, I had a very strange experience in Glasgow. I visited Ibrox just to have a look and I was intimidated, followed, suffered sectarian abuse, spat at in the street. It was like they smelled the cabbage and white pudding in my genes.

I thought 'oh great, I got shit around Ibrox for having an Irish-looking head, I'll get shit around Parkhead for having an English accent' but everyone was really nice.

Mirrors almost exactly my experience, except I’m English with no other background and mine was in the pubs in Glasgow. I thought I’d be fine with Rangers fans and hated by Celtic, but it was wrong on both counts. It’s why the ignorant ‘bigot brothers’ jibes wind me up. It’s like saying the blacks and whites in the Deep South USA are all as bad as each other, especially when taking into account the history of Irish persecution in Scotland..

Good job you weren't using your alias Mr Pennell, otherwise you would have been strung up in the West End of Glasgow.

I was using the first name but not the last, which was successfully added to ward off the appointment of the manager of the same name to the Villa job.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2703 on: September 14, 2021, 03:55:19 AM »
I think I need to go back to school and pay attention in history classes. I’ve never even heard of some of the words being mentioned over the last few pages let alone understand what any of them mean.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2704 on: September 14, 2021, 07:24:39 AM »
I think I need to go back to school and pay attention in history classes. I’ve never even heard of some of the words being mentioned over the last few pages let alone understand what any of them mean.

'Rangers' is a word that means obsolete.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #2705 on: September 14, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »
Does McGinn even have a connection with Celtic? We bought him from Hibs, right?

I know Hibs/Hearts is a similar dynamic, but it's not like SJM is Neil Lennon or Martin McGuinness. I've always thought of him as just Scottish.

You really have to be a dedicated prick to find out another team's players' religious denominations! I had no idea which he was, and nor do I care. Sigh. Such utter bullshit it all is.

Offline Rory

« Reply #2706 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »

To be fair, they're never really taught in school. Most people on here who know about them have probably experienced them at some point or other.

Offline Rory

« Reply #2707 on: September 14, 2021, 09:41:53 AM »
Does McGinn even have a connection with Celtic? We bought him from Hibs, right?

I know Hibs/Hearts is a similar dynamic, but it's not like SJM is Neil Lennon or Martin McGuinness. I've always thought of him as just Scottish.

You really have to be a dedicated prick to find out another team's players' religious denominations! I had no idea which he was, and nor do I care. Sigh. Such utter bullshit it all is.

Agreed.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2708 on: September 14, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
Reminds me of a weird experience i had in a Birmingham pub years back when a drunk glaswegian Rangers top-wearing fan accosted me carrying a heavy looking scrap book. I was slightly nervous but he turned out to be tame, but the scrapbook just contained photo's of him following the Chelsea headhunters. No idea what was going on there except they have some vague hoolie link-up based on all that sectarian crap. Mind I once had a very drunk Celtic fan repeatedly ask me if I was Catholic or Protestant in a menacing way in another pub. Church of England seemed to confuse him and he went away. ;D.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #2709 on: September 14, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
Was this the idiot in the corner who kept gobbing off and giving SJM the V's?  I noticed him when watching the game and wondered why, given everyone could see it on the telly and it makes Chelsea look stupid, they didn't haul him out there and then.

It doesn't look like it, the footage seems to be in the opposite corner and the first half.  The bloke we saw on the tv doing all the gesturing, screaming and abusing was in the opposite corner, and in the second half.  Whether the abuse was sectarian in nature I obviously wouldn't know, as any Villa player who happened to be deep in that corner appeared to be being targetted. At the time I was hoping the broadcasters might have panned the cameras right in on him, not least because he seemed to have free rein to run down several rows in order to do his abusing and gesturing etc.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2710 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
Reminds me of a weird experience i had in a Birmingham pub years back when a drunk glaswegian Rangers top-wearing fan accosted me carrying a heavy looking scrap book. I was slightly nervous but he turned out to be tame, but the scrapbook just contained photo's of him following the Chelsea headhunters. No idea what was going on there except they have some vague hoolie link-up based on all that sectarian crap. Mind I once had a very drunk Celtic fan repeatedly ask me if I was Catholic or Protestant in a menacing way in another pub. Church of England seemed to confuse him and he went away. ;D.

As a recovering Catholic and atheist, I've always been a big fan of the CofE (whilst knowing nothing about it). It seems like a religion that sort of believes, but doesn't take it that seriously. As early Alan Partridge put it, he believes in God, but thinks of him as a kind of gas.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2711 on: September 14, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »
He's pure Hibie is SJM. Spoke to a few people who worked there (catering or what have you) and apparently he is the absolute best.

Anyway, credit to Chelsea fans for digging into the bigotry encyclopedia there, really leaving no stone unturned in their quest to be absolute twats.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2712 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:47 AM »

As a recovering Catholic and atheist, I've always been a big fan of the CofE (whilst knowing nothing about it). It seems like a religion that sort of believes, but doesn't take it that seriously. As early Alan Partridge put it, he believes in God, but thinks of him as a kind of gas.

yeah its a sort of universal "well I don't believe in God really but its easier to say COE" Mind the big fellah was obviously protecting me that day..

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2713 on: September 14, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »

I saw Stephen Fry describe Anglicanism as one of the great religions with the only drawback being the need to believe in God. I’d suggest half the vicars I’ve met down the years are pretty flaky on the believing in God part anyway.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2714 on: September 14, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »

I saw Stephen Fry describe Anglicanism as one of the great religions with the only drawback being the need to believe in God. I’d suggest half the vicars I’ve met down the years are pretty flaky on the believing in God part anyway.

I know the Reverend Richard Coles a tiny bit, and that sums him up perfectly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal