collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654621 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2475 on: April 26, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
Could it be that the super star status he has been gifted in the Scotland team gone to his head?  Good against weaker opposition but found wanting againot sterner opposition?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2476 on: April 26, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
Could it be that the super star status he has been gifted in the Scotland team gone to his head?  Good against weaker opposition but found wanting againot sterner opposition?

You don't get much weaker than the second worst team in the division! It was an easy night to play in midfield with the ball as there was zero pressing or tackling really. McGinn lacks a bit of patience with the ball and opponents have wised up to his arse roll. It disguises a heavy touch as seen in the first half when his first touch gifted them possession in front of their box. Like Luiz, once they are turned they don't seem to have any recovery speed.

McGinn would be better higher up the pitch I think. Instead of Traore possibly. 

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2477 on: April 26, 2021, 09:07:15 AM »
Was he always so careless with his passing? I don’t remember it being an issue up until last season.  He needs to get his mind more focused on what he’s doing and for starters cut out tricky cross field long balls as they rarely come off and worse, it puts us in danger of a counter. I like him overall as he’s a trier and gives his all. But like the rest of them he looks far better when Jack’s playing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2478 on: April 26, 2021, 09:09:51 AM »
A lot of pundits and the press are claiming he was great yesterday, a lot on here thought he was shit, I think the reality is he was somewhere in between, a couple of heavy touches let him down badly and there were a few passes where I don't think he looked before playing the ball but he also pressed them well, kept the ball moving through midfield and made himself available.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #2479 on: April 26, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
A lot of pundits and the press are claiming he was great yesterday, a lot on here thought he was shit, I think the reality is he was somewhere in between, a couple of heavy touches let him down badly and there were a few passes where I don't think he looked before playing the ball but he also pressed them well, kept the ball moving through midfield and made himself available.

Made a couple of great passes as well. His through ball for Watkin's chance in the 2nd half was top class and it was nice pass for Davis's goal

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2480 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »

Made a couple of great passes as well. His through ball for Watkin's chance in the 2nd half was top class and it was nice pass for Davis's goal

Indeed, as I say very much a mixed bag for me and I'm not sure why he's been singled out for so much criticism on here. All I can think is that it's mostly a result of that one really bad first touch in the first half which really sticks in the mind.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2481 on: April 26, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »

Indeed, as I say very much a mixed bag for me and I'm not sure why he's been singled out for so much criticism on here. All I can think is that it's mostly a result of that one really bad first touch in the first half which really sticks in the mind.

That was funny, it went further than I can kick it these days.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2482 on: April 26, 2021, 11:46:10 AM »
Not as funny as Traore attempting to head the ball in an acre of space. It's like me on a Tuesday night when somebody skies one and I don't fancy it, so pretend to be blinded by the lights or fooled by the bounce.

Online LeeB

« Reply #2483 on: April 26, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
Not as funny as Traore attempting to head the ball in an acre of space. It's like me on a Tuesday night when somebody skies one and I don't fancy it, so pretend to be blinded by the lights or fooled by the bounce.

That was funny too, just as the commentary was lauding Mings for his clearing header. Still, Luke Ayling attempting a cross field pass with the outside of his foot against Man Utd was funnier than both put together, the top knott twat.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2484 on: April 26, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »
SJM is becoming a problem, playing in midfield only highlights his lack of control, constantly not controlling the ball or just plain bad passing is hurting us in midfield. He has not regained the form that made him a stand out two years ago.

In the Championship. In two years in the Premier League, how many times has he looked the part? Center Mid is the heart of a team and we don't have control of games because we don't have the center mids to do it.

He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter next season if we mean to move onwards.

He was good when we first came up, better than Jack imo who didn't fully get going until October/November. 3 goals in first 6 games I think.

Obviously the injury set him back but he did start the season well in terms of general performance.

We all want him to be another Milner for us but there's a gulf between the two.

It is odd how he never ever gets taken off. Fair enough yesterday he was still fighting and getting on the ball plenty at the end which created chances but also many games in recent times when it's fizzled out and he's offered as little as anyone else second half in final third.

Luiz has had spells on the bench in last 3 months so don't get why SJM is protected species, guess DS just showing incredible loyalty to him for the promotion season but I think we will have to snap out of that mentality sooner or later.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:17:11 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #2485 on: April 26, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »

That was funny, it went further than I can kick it these days.

'Doing a Benteke'. Fantastic 19 goal season but boy, could he miscontrol a football.

As has been said I felt that McGinn was a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous yesterday. I wonder whether at times he is trying to too hard to instill some urgency into our play but the execution can be off.

I really like him though. He's a class act.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:21:06 PM by Bobby Boy »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2486 on: April 26, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
I admire his confidence to keep trying though, we'd all be moaning if he turned into a square ball merchant.

Online LeeB

« Reply #2487 on: April 26, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »
I admire his confidence to keep trying though, we'd all be moaning if he turned into a square ball merchant.

It's why he'll come through and be a better player for it. As Bobby Boy says, he's a class act, we're a long way off upgrading on him.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2488 on: May 16, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
Is today the day he'll score a long range screamer ?

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2489 on: May 16, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
I think it qualifies.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal