collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:45:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:44:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:44:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:44:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:43:59 PM]

[Today at 08:43:15 PM]

[Today at 08:41:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 08:40:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 669128 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2460 on: April 11, 2021, 10:46:32 PM »
As I've said a few times now the issue is that the balance of the midfield isn't right. A fit and in form Barkley ahead of McGinn and Luiz looked easily top 6 standard but Barkley just isn't capable of playing at that level consistently. On that basis the first signing this summer needs to be a replacement for him, someone with pace, strength and a good shot on them who wants to boss the midfield and take advantage of the space that Jack creates.

I'd like to see McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson playing alongside someone like that before we change anything else in there. I also think Chukwuemeka will break-through as the backup for that player pretty soon so someone he can learn from would be fantastic. The problem is I have no idea who the right player is, I haven't watched any European football this year and I've only half-watched domestic games other than ours (usually as something in the background whilst I'm working).

I think all the midfielders could make that circular argument "It's not me, it's the other ones!"  McGinn and Luiz are good central midfielders - probably good enough for the top half but only if they have someone else in there alongside them who is better. Barkley and Nakamba aren't and it's too early to say if Sanson or Ramsey will be. It's a key position we need to strengthen in the summer - a genuinely top-class midfielder who will walk into the team. Probably would help if he has athleticism and height too. I hope Lange has been scouting someone like Soucek.

This mostly covers it but I don't agree with the bold bit. Midfield is all about finding a group of players that complement each other in a way that lets them all play their natural game.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2461 on: April 12, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
As I've said a few times now the issue is that the balance of the midfield isn't right. A fit and in form Barkley ahead of McGinn and Luiz looked easily top 6 standard but Barkley just isn't capable of playing at that level consistently. On that basis the first signing this summer needs to be a replacement for him, someone with pace, strength and a good shot on them who wants to boss the midfield and take advantage of the space that Jack creates.

I'd like to see McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson playing alongside someone like that before we change anything else in there. I also think Chukwuemeka will break-through as the backup for that player pretty soon so someone he can learn from would be fantastic. The problem is I have no idea who the right player is, I haven't watched any European football this year and I've only half-watched domestic games other than ours (usually as something in the background whilst I'm working).

I think all the midfielders could make that circular argument "It's not me, it's the other ones!"  McGinn and Luiz are good central midfielders - probably good enough for the top half but only if they have someone else in there alongside them who is better. Barkley and Nakamba aren't and it's too early to say if Sanson or Ramsey will be. It's a key position we need to strengthen in the summer - a genuinely top-class midfielder who will walk into the team. Probably would help if he has athleticism and height too. I hope Lange has been scouting someone like Soucek.

This mostly covers it but I don't agree with the bold bit. Midfield is all about finding a group of players that complement each other in a way that lets them all play their natural game.

Agreed, and for a fleeting moment it had looked like Barkley had done just that.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2462 on: April 12, 2021, 10:38:41 AM »
I'd like to see a good defensive midfielder who can use the ball signed this summer - then ahead of him, two of Sanson, Luiz and McGinn. I'm not convinced by any of them recently - but in that setup with box to box roles for McGinn and Luiz I think they'd improve.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2463 on: April 21, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
Meatball speaks:

Aston Villa midfielder John McGinn, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was just my feeling on the pitch but that was the best 90 minutes I have seen [from an opposition team]. It was a nightmare to be perfectly honest."

Did he play in the 1-6 defeat last season?! Fair play for his honesty, though. That goal should give him and Dean confidence to keep playing him further forward. He must have been annoyed that he had to drop deep again to accommodate Barkley when he came on.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2464 on: April 21, 2021, 10:48:14 PM »
Wee John took his goal well.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2465 on: April 21, 2021, 11:00:07 PM »
Meatball speaks:

Aston Villa midfielder John McGinn, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was just my feeling on the pitch but that was the best 90 minutes I have seen [from an opposition team]. It was a nightmare to be perfectly honest."

Did he play in the 1-6 defeat last season?! Fair play for his honesty, though. That goal should give him and Dean confidence to keep playing him further forward. He must have been annoyed that he had to drop deep again to accommodate Barkley when he came on.

I think he's spot on there, it's what I was getting at when I said I don't think we were out of that because of a lack of fitness or effort, that was all about them moving the ball around quickly and accurately and us just not being able to get hold of it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2466 on: April 21, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »
That goal should give him and Dean confidence to keep playing him further forward. He must have been annoyed that he had to drop deep again to accommodate Barkley when he came on.

It's a shame SJM has had to play so long as a defensive midfielder this season and it was only his goals for Scotland that forced Dean to have a rethink. There's more and better to come from him.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2467 on: April 22, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »
That goal should give him and Dean confidence to keep playing him further forward. He must have been annoyed that he had to drop deep again to accommodate Barkley when he came on.

It's a shame SJM has had to play so long as a defensive midfielder this season and it was only his goals for Scotland that forced Dean to have a rethink. There's more and better to come from him.

Doesn's suit him one iota playing deep, he's like a fish out of water or a blue's player in a villa kit

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2468 on: April 22, 2021, 11:10:53 PM »
Peter Withe did alright...

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2469 on: April 23, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »
Yeah, but....

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2470 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »
Ffs mate, where was the NSFW tag?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2471 on: April 26, 2021, 07:50:17 AM »
SJM is becoming a problem, playing in midfield only highlights his lack of control, constantly not controlling the ball or just plain bad passing is hurting us in midfield. He has not regained the form that made him a stand out two years ago.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2472 on: April 26, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »
SJM is becoming a problem, playing in midfield only highlights his lack of control, constantly not controlling the ball or just plain bad passing is hurting us in midfield. He has not regained the form that made him a stand out two years ago.

In the Championship. In two years in the Premier League, how many times has he looked the part? Center Mid is the heart of a team and we don't have control of games because we don't have the center mids to do it.

He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter next season if we mean to move onwards.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2473 on: April 26, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
It's unclear to me what he does right now to warrant his place. Even the ball-carrying that was so impressive for the last couple of years is letting him down now (and even that was always more of a winter's attribute anyway). He's giving the ball away, he's not winning it back enough, his shooting is erratic, his positioning is off, his creativity nowhere. Id6rather play Marvellous at the minute.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2474 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:01 AM »
He gave the ball away a bit yesterday but he does need to play further forward. I reckon a few games out of the side and he would be missed. He does put a shift in, he always has.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal