collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653887 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2355 on: March 08, 2021, 06:15:45 PM »
I might be mad, but I'd look at playing him wide right. He can take the ball into feet and turn the full back, cut inside to put in shooting range or whip in crosses. I just think with his fairly unique skillset it might work and get the most out of him, and it's a position not nailed down in the team at present.

He's got the skill and the quick feet but possibly not the pace to make that a success.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2356 on: March 08, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »
An attacking
midfielder for me , he is best at finding  a threaded pass at the moment

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2357 on: March 08, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
I might be mad, but I'd look at playing him wide right. He can take the ball into feet and turn the full back, cut inside to put in shooting range or whip in crosses. I just think with his fairly unique skillset it might work and get the most out of him, and it's a position not nailed down in the team at present.

He's got the skill and the quick feet but possibly not the pace to make that a success.

He's got decent acceleration though and he's clever enough to work half a yard, I don't think he needs to be full on rapid.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2358 on: March 08, 2021, 09:26:30 PM »

He's got decent acceleration though and he's clever enough to work half a yard, I don't think he needs to be full on rapid.

You could be right. He'd almost certainly not be as shite there as the other three consistently are.  Need to develop him as the new Snodgrass.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2359 on: March 08, 2021, 09:31:01 PM »

You could be right. He'd almost certainly not be as shite there as the other three consistently are.  Need to develop him as the new Snodgrass.
I like this idea. I really like McGinn and he’s so much better further forward. He can really cause havoc and get amongst the goals which were really lacking at the moment.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2360 on: March 08, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
Yeah agree, we have really missed his goals this season, obviously due to playing a more defensive role. A waste in my opinion

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2361 on: March 08, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »

Snodgrass was exactly the player I had in mind when thinking of it.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2362 on: March 08, 2021, 09:50:31 PM »
McGinn is an average to decent attacking midfielder in Premier League terms. As a defensive midfielder, I think he's below average to poor. When he plays as a two in front of the defence with Luiz he's crap, he looked quite a bit better in a proper 4-3-3 getting forward more.

Crap is very strong....there were games like Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal where he played very well in a deeper role next to Luiz. But I think ultimately he isn't that comfortable receiving the ball facing his own goal. Teams I think have copped onto that in recent weeks and pressed our midfield leaving Mings with little option but to go direct to Watkins. It's worse when Jack isn't there obviously as another option but the Luiz/McGinn combo was dreadful against Southampton and Brighton too. Nakamba obviously isn't going to help ball retention either so it's an area we need to strengthen.

As with others I think in off the right is likely his best position. It's where he played a lot for us in the championship and early last season if I recall correctly.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2363 on: March 09, 2021, 09:32:28 AM »
He still slows things down too much when receiving the ball in a tight space. He doesn't back himself to have the strength or skill to fend off an opponent at will hence the bum steering and looking for a foul where possible.

Then again, he's always trying to push us forward and his first time through balls are consistently top notch.

Such a frustrating player but then we have a lot of them hence upper mid-table is where we live.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2364 on: March 13, 2021, 07:25:28 AM »
Poor again for me last night.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2365 on: March 13, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
I thought he did alright last night, but he doesn’t have to same drive from midfield he used to have. That might be because he’s being asked to play a different role, but if that’s the case we need someone else to get forward from the midfield. At the moment we just end up with this huge chasm of space between Ollie and everyone else.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2366 on: March 13, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »
Definitely a position we can improve on in the Summer. Games are just passing him by this season.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #2367 on: March 13, 2021, 09:53:46 AM »
A busy bee who has lost his sting.

Alas, not top six material.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2368 on: March 13, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »
that major injury has had the same debilitating effect Kodjia's had on him. The super prefix has gone.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2369 on: March 13, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »
Cant see that prefix going.
The song doesn't sound the same
" We've got Mcginn"
"John Mcginn"
As far as I'm concerned for what he's done for us its staying.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal