collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654298 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2325 on: February 17, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »
I think you could count SJM 7+ performances this season on one hand. That is not good enough to be ar regular top 6 , euro comp player.

I love the guy  and would love him to stay in the squad but we will need better 1st team starters to progress im afraid

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2326 on: February 17, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »
People seem to think the top six is made up exclusively of Galacticos. There are plenty of far worse players than McGinn at, for instance, Man U.

You get solid players like McGinn, who can produce moments of brilliance to accompany their all round endeavours, and supplement them with megastars.

We have one already in Grealish, I can see us adding another one or two this summer and they will love having someone like McGinn in the squad doing the dirty work for them.

Exactly, Des Bremner was just as important as Gordon Cowans.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2327 on: February 17, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »
People seem to think the top six is made up exclusively of Galacticos. There are plenty of far worse players than McGinn at, for instance, Man U.

You get solid players like McGinn, who can produce moments of brilliance to accompany their all round endeavours, and supplement them with megastars.

We have one already in Grealish, I can see us adding another one or two this summer and they will love having someone like McGinn in the squad doing the dirty work for them.

To be fair to him, I think Smith is shoehorning him into the side. He's not a defensive midfielder and he looks shit trying to be one.  Can't see why Smith doesn't give him a go in Barkley's position, and bring Nakamba in to partner Luiz.

Offline danno

« Reply #2328 on: February 17, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »

To be fair to him, I think Smith is shoehorning him into the side. He's not a defensive midfielder and he looks shit trying to be one.  Can't see why Smith doesn't give him a go in Barkley's position, and bring Nakamba in to partner Luiz.

I'd love to see that. Maybe when Sanson is settled it might happen. For whatever reason I don't think Smith trusts a midfield of Nakamba and Luiz.

McGinn has four assists in the PL this season, second only to Grealish with ten. So that might be why he's reluctant to take him out. As we rely on Grealish for creativity so much already.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2329 on: February 17, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »

Nakamba is nowhere near good enough unfortunately. Our big problem at the moment is that our midfield duo aren't able to break the opposition press so Mings has to go long too often to Watkins. Nakamba won't improve that at all. I'm hoping that's Sanson's best position, certainly seems to have tidy footwork but the EPL is far more physical than the French league. Suspect he may need a summer in the gym to be fully ready to start regularly there.

Perhaps McGinn was one of those with covid. I don't think he has had a 7 or 8 /10 performance since (exception may be the Newcastle game). Medium/Long term I don't think he has the skill set or tactical discipline to play in that midfield two. In off the right I think is his best position with Cash overlapping outside him.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2330 on: February 17, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »

yep, he is not a defensive midfielder and nor is Luiz. So we are shohorning both of them but Luiz looks the more natural in that position. Would love to see what SJM would do in the Barkley position, lots more than Ross I suspect.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2331 on: February 17, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »

Exactly, Des Bremner was just as important as Gordon Cowans.

Agree.

SJM has returned from a serious injury and played a significant part of the season “out of position.” When we have won this is taken for granted but when we lose he goes from “Super” to plain John. Douglas Luiz is also acclimatising to a new position, both in my opinion have, on the whole, done pretty well especially taking into account 12 clean sheets! I do think that it’s not SJMs best position but he’s doing a good job for the team and I applaud that. I’m sure that Dean recognises all this and will have a cunning plan and addition to fill this role in the summer. I am definitely in SJM camp and think that he’s still got more to offer than we’ve already seen

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2332 on: February 17, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
...I am definitely in SJM camp
I used to be but not anymore.
He was outstanding in the Championship but I've not seen it replicated since we were promoted.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2333 on: February 17, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
...I am definitely in SJM camp
I used to be but not anymore.
He was outstanding in the Championship but I've not seen it replicated since we were promoted.
I definitely am, I just think like Risso said he’s playing out of position. He’s so more effective higher up the pitch. Before our Covid break he was playing very well and he was starting to look like his old self before his injury.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2334 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:35 PM »
Best fat arsed midfielder since Barry, and he was alright too.  Playing deeper this year so I think we aren't getting the best from him.  Would like to see Sanson in his spot and McGinn replace Barkley on Sunday.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2335 on: February 17, 2021, 06:08:02 PM »
Best fat arsed midfielder since Barry, and he was alright too.  Playing deeper this year so I think we aren't getting the best from him.  Would like to see Sanson in his spot and McGinn replace Barkley on Sunday.

i love the man, but I can't see Dean Smith doing anything as radical as that.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2336 on: February 17, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
McGinn has been a brilliant bargain for us and is a good player but he's doesn't have the attributes or consistency for top 6.
I think he's already a first team midfielder in a top 8 side, who are 4pts behind a top 6 side with 2 games in hand.

I don't think it's a ridiculous leap to say that SJM is a top 6 midfielder.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2337 on: February 17, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »
I don't think having a 10 is working right now, I'd play McGinn and Sanson as box-to-box midfielders either side of Luiz who needs to get back to doing the Pirlo role and not having to track into the fullback areas so much.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2338 on: February 17, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »
I don't think having a 10 is working right now, I'd play McGinn and Sanson as box-to-box midfielders either side of Luiz who needs to get back to doing the Pirlo role and not having to track into the fullback areas so much.

It's not.  We've gone back to giving away 20+ shots a game, and that's not a good way of winning games. A more usual flat 4-3-3 with Sanson next to McGinn and Luiz as you suggest should be the way forward. Grealish and Traore/Trez either side of Ollie, depending on the circumstances. I'd be starting Trez there at the weekend.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2339 on: February 17, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »

I don't think Luiz is good enough (yet) to play that role by himself. Any time we play with "two 8s" like against West Ham we get destroyed in midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal