collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 666742 times)

Offline JuanMartinez

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2385 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
Excellent post, totally agree Drummond.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2386 on: March 15, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
Oh shit.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2387 on: March 15, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »
Well said Drummond

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2388 on: March 15, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
I thought that it was a load of nonsense personally! ;)

Why do people get so het up with people having a differing opinion?  It seems to me that opining that McGinn not being good enough for where we want to be isn't really something to get so worked up over.  At his consistent best he's probably good enough for the top 6-8; the way he's playing recently, he looks more like a mid to lower table player. However, I do think he's mostly been played out of position this season, as a lot of the time when chosen as a defensive midfielder he's looked quite poor. While still not quite back to his best he's looked better recently, playing in a more orthodox midfield three.  At present I think there are a good number of players who need replacing before him, assuming a similar level of investment this summer as in the last couple of years.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #2389 on: March 15, 2021, 05:19:33 PM »
Too many posters react as though this is FIFA 2021 or whatever the latest Football manager game is. In real life we should be glad the likes of SJM are happy to play for Villa, a club on the up and hopefully they will be rewarded.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2390 on: March 16, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »
Too many posters react as though this is FIFA 2021 or whatever the latest Football manager game is. In real life we should be glad the likes of SJM are happy to play for Villa, a club on the up and hopefully they will be rewarded.

McGinn has been average enough this season in truth. Some decent performances at times in the deeper role but over time he has struggled there. It's hardly heresy to suggest he needs competition for his place. Perhaps should have been rotated out of the side at times this season as has played a lot of football for club and country.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2391 on: March 16, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
It sounds - and is - harsh to call him a good Championship player. He's way too good for the Championship, but at this level I don't think he does any one thing so excellently that he ought to be a guaranteed starter for us. A squad player for me.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2392 on: March 16, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »
Easy to forget with McGinn, he’s come from the Scottish premier, not the highest quality at the moment. Had one year in the championship, where he was excellent, then less than half a season in the premier league before a pretty serious injury. This is his first full season in the premier league and he’s being played in an unfamiliar position. Needs to have another season I think, before being judged as to whether he’s good enough for a team with top six aspirations.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2393 on: March 16, 2021, 08:50:55 AM »
Easy to forget with McGinn, he’s come from the Scottish premier, not the highest quality at the moment. Had one year in the championship, where he was excellent, then less than half a season in the premier league before a pretty serious injury. This is his first full season in the premier league and he’s being played in an unfamiliar position. Needs to have another season I think, before being judged as to whether he’s good enough for a team with top six aspirations.

Hibs are my 'Scottish team', in that if I chance upon them playing I want them to win, so I'm no expert, but I think he might have been playing in the Scottish second tier when we bought him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2394 on: March 16, 2021, 10:53:19 AM »
He played one season in the Premiership with Hibs before signing for us.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2395 on: March 16, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »

Hibs are my 'Scottish team', in that if I chance upon them playing I want them to win, so I'm no expert, but I think he might have been playing in the Scottish second tier when we bought him.

They're mine too for the same reason and I have a mate who supports them who used to live up that way. 

McGinn has been okay this season. I wish that disallowed goal he scored at Arsenal stood or that rasping shot he had against Chelsea had gone in as he needs a goal or two to give him a bit more confidence in his game.  That's what he's lacking in my opinion.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2396 on: March 19, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
He's been interviewed for Football Focus tomorrow. In the preview clip he discusses his nickname in Scotland (inventive - "Meatball"), at Villa (boring - "Ginny") and his new one back in Scotland again (resourceful - "Guinea Pig").

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2397 on: March 19, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »
He's been interviewed for Football Focus tomorrow. In the preview clip he discusses his nickname in Scotland (inventive - "Meatball"), at Villa (boring - "Ginny") and his new one back in Scotland again (resourceful - "Guinea Pig").

I'd go with McGinnster's Pasty

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2398 on: March 19, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »
Ginny's more practical when you're calling for the ball.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2399 on: March 19, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
Good point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal