collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654030 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2085 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:24 AM »
Thought he looked a lot better when he dropped a bit deeper last night and was alongside Luiz.  Not sure the more advanced role suits him really.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2086 on: September 22, 2020, 09:43:00 AM »
A lot of his game is based on adrenaline and buzzing around. He does have some  technical qualities but like Hourihane, I'm not sure if a handful of well-taken goals in the PL prove he's a top player at this level.
£2.5m players from Scotland (or anywhere) rarely are.

I get the impression that his first instinct is to draw a foul when he receives the ball in tight situations which could speak volumes about the lack of confidence in his game. The bum-roll will only get him so far. We need someone else in the middle who has an undoubted touch of class about them like has always been clear with Jack and Hey Dougie.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2087 on: September 22, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
Thought he looked a lot better when he dropped a bit deeper last night and was alongside Luiz.  Not sure the more advanced role suits him really.

He struggled there in the championship though, didn't have the position discipline really. Probably a return to the right of the three needs to be considered (where Trez played last night) but I guess we have bought Traore to play there. In any case, the excuses are running out for McGinn. He is in the team on reputation only at the moment.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #2088 on: September 22, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
The banter on Twitter about McGinn is funny though also cringeworthy... Jack, John and Cash involved so far.

Twitter

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2089 on: September 22, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

No racism intended but I will just go ahead and smear three nations. Class act.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2090 on: September 22, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
I don't think Brian did that.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2091 on: September 22, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

As opposed to English people all absolutely committed to a healthy lifestyle 24/7.

I don't think he nationality has anything to do with it.

I also think he is good enough, both technically and mentally for this level. I just think he takes a bit of time to get to peak fitness. In fairness to him, I thought he actually looked stronger in the last 10 than he did the middle part of the game, almost like a second wind hit him.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2092 on: September 22, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

He's class, he'll get there.

Is he class though?  Personally I'm not sure he's good enough at any one aspect of the game to be a Premier League starter.  He was absolute gash yesterday and has been for ages now.

I think he did enough at the start of the season before getting injured to show he could be a decent player at this level. However he has been awful since the injury, and has had plenty of time to gain form now. We need better competition for places, so he can be benched whilst he finds form. At the moment I would be picking Hourihane and Nakamba ahead of him.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2093 on: September 22, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
I'm starting to think he's not cut out for this level.  Great player in the Championship obviously, but other than a couple of games he just hasn't done it at PL level.   Hourihane the same.   Badly need something in midfield to complement Doug, who is exceptional.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2094 on: September 22, 2020, 01:50:40 PM »

No racism intended but I will just go ahead and smear three nations. Class act.

Roy Keane said something similar a few years back about some unnamed Irish players.

The condition McGinn came back from injury last season wasn't really acceptable as was clearly carrying surplus weight. couldn't really tell last night  if it was still an issue but it should be the easiest thing for a professional footballer to correct. I'm still a big fan and confident he will turn it around. But Smith letting him try to play himself into form needs to end.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2095 on: September 22, 2020, 01:52:54 PM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

He's class, he'll get there.

Rushed back in?!  He was back in training in March and played his first competitive league game in June!!!

He's then played just as much first team football as everyone else for the past six months.

I get that he's a fan favourite but how long does his free pass last?!

He broke his ankle again in March.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2096 on: September 22, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
I thought he was looking better in Arsenal and West Ham games. Looked like he was back up to speed and then gets another 7 week break where he loses intensity.

Was really poor last night so it's frustrating.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2097 on: September 22, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »
Some players just take longer to get back to full fitness, whether that's due to injury or the summer break. I think he hasn't been up to speed since the injury, probably his metabolism and not because he's spent the summer on a diet of buckfast and deep fried mars bars. Certainly wouldn't drop him at the moment, play him against bristol andif  in 4 games time he's still off the pace, then maybe start worrying.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2098 on: September 22, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
It doesn't really matter why he's playing shit. The fact is, he's playing shit.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2099 on: September 22, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
It doesn't really matter why he's playing shit. The fact is, he's playing shit.

Well it depends. If you think he's shit because he's off the pace, then we have to get him match fit otherwise he will remain shit. If you think he's shit through loss of form or just being found out in the Premier then yeah drop him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal