collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
October 20, 2020, 12:29:57 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1064 | Comments: 16

[url=https://ibb.co/Wxcn...
October 14, 2020, 03:30:23 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 558 | Comments: 3

In December 1950 the directors...
October 05, 2020, 12:24:02 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1401 | Comments: 7

[url=https://ibb.c...
October 04, 2020, 12:05:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 583 | Comments: 4

All the machinations at the fo...
October 02, 2020, 04:50:53 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 557 | Comments: 0

There’s an old saying, O...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed  (Read 215984 times)

Online ozzjim

• GM : 14.09.2017
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2070 on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
So I've developed a minor obsession with the idea of moving SJM to a kind of inside right forward position in a 4-2-3-1. This would free up Jack to play at no 10 while still having some solidity in midfield behind him (Luiz and Conor staying deep, for instance), and also would solve one of our wide-forward problems by allowing McGinn to do what he does best - get the ball, run at defences, get into goalscoring positions, and pester opposition defenders off the ball without worrying about leaving a huge gap in the middle of the pitch.

Didn't he essentially start there at Everton. I certainly think he's an option  further forward, it gives you the orion of a very high press. Needs to get back to his fighting fitness though, and treated with a bit more care next season.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2071 on: September 02, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »
An option, though 4-2-3-1 typically means you need a lot from the fullbacks in terms of supporting and getting past the midfield player on their side and then decent delivery on crosses and passes.

Guilbert has shown, in patches, he can do that though to deliver a consistent and major improvement it might need an upgrade of both fullbacks - with Matty Cash the target (no pun intended) for RB.

The other option is to switch to three at the back - as DS seems to like and which would mean (most likely) Mings - Engels - Konsa.

I've not given up on Engels and I think that could work as both Mings and Konsa like to bring the ball out. Though it is quite a fundamental change when a bit of continuity and stability might be the better bet in terms of delivering a steady start to the season. As ever - the decision is long-term plan versus short-term gain.

Anyone know whether Shakespeare has a preferred formation?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2072 on: September 02, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
So I've developed a minor obsession with the idea of moving SJM to a kind of inside right forward position in a 4-2-3-1. This would free up Jack to play at no 10 while still having some solidity in midfield behind him (Luiz and Conor staying deep, for instance), and also would solve one of our wide-forward problems by allowing McGinn to do what he does best - get the ball, run at defences, get into goalscoring positions, and pester opposition defenders off the ball without worrying about leaving a huge gap in the middle of the pitch.

I like that idea, get in someone very defensive im midfield and tel lthe fullbacks to play more like wing backs and I think that could work really well. I think one of the biggest problems early in the season was us trying to get Grealish and McGinn in as 2 8s, which just didn't work.

Offline Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #2073 on: September 02, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »

I like that idea, get in someone very defensive im midfield and tel lthe fullbacks to play more like wing backs and I think that could work really well. I think one of the biggest problems early in the season was us trying to get Grealish and McGinn in as 2 8s, which just didn't work.

Yeah, you'd need peak-Javi Martinez or someone to make that 4-3-3 work. I'm a huge fan of Doug but he's not that player, and in fact you could free him up to play the Xabi Alonso role in deep alongside a more orthodox defensive player if we sign the latter (or if Nakamba steps up, as OCD says).

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #2074 on: September 02, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »

I sincerely hope we don't try that 2x8s again this upcoming season. No matter what Grealish might think his best position is or most likely to get him firmly into the England reckoning.

Have McGinn and Grealish ever played particularly well for us at the same time?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2075 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
They were pretty good during the 10 game run-in but other than that not really!

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #2076 on: September 02, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »

I don't agree with that, McGinn was really poor for most of it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2077 on: September 02, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
I think they've played well together when Jack is playing wide, in the centre together and they're definitely worse than the sum of their parts.

Online ozzjim

« Reply #2078 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

I think he meant the season before?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #2079 on: September 02, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
...Have McGinn and Grealish ever played particularly well for us at the same time?
Last season, Naaarrrich away, they played really well together. one or two other early games, they did so too; but it was flashes rather than a solid performance.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2080 on: September 02, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »
Interesting interview with McGinn in The S*n the other day (I know, I know...i only clicked to see the Matty Cash story that Ads had jumped the gun on) where he said that Edens  had messaged a few of the top players after the West Ham game saying congratulations and that they didn't plan to be in the same situation ever again.

Sure look...here's the quotes:
I never want to experience that again, so the feeling at West Ham was one of relief. But also of pride — because it’s naive to think we don’t listen to criticism or read negative stories.

“We were driving to games and, whether it was talkSPORT or some other station, not one person gave us a chance of staying up with four games to go when we were seven points behind.

“We used that negativity to stay up. It came down to professional pride.
“No one gave us a chance — and that made it even sweeter.

“Wes Edens private-messaged a lot of us after West Ham to say congratulations.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.

He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on.

“The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football.

“It’s not going to be easy. But we’re behind each other, backing each other. We’re on the same page.”

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2081 on: September 02, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »

I think he meant the season before?

Yep the promotion 10 wins on the spin.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #2082 on: September 21, 2020, 11:39:55 PM »
McGinn's form isn't just a rut any longer. Was tried in at least three different positions tonight and was rubbish. Putting passes out of play when under no pressure. Not showing for possession, not taking players on, not breaking into the box.

If ever there was a player that needs competition for his place it's McGinn.

Online ozzjim

« Reply #2083 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:23 AM »
McGinn's form isn't just a rut any longer. Was tried in at least three different positions tonight and was rubbish. Putting passes out of play when under no pressure. Not showing for possession, not taking players on, not breaking into the box.

If ever there was a player that needs competition for his place it's McGinn.
Just said the same in the transfer thread. He was worse than Targett last night and that is a statement.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2084 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

He's class, he'll get there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal