collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654022 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2070 on: September 02, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
...Have McGinn and Grealish ever played particularly well for us at the same time?
Last season, Naaarrrich away, they played really well together. one or two other early games, they did so too; but it was flashes rather than a solid performance.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2071 on: September 02, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »
Interesting interview with McGinn in The S*n the other day (I know, I know...i only clicked to see the Matty Cash story that Ads had jumped the gun on) where he said that Edens  had messaged a few of the top players after the West Ham game saying congratulations and that they didn't plan to be in the same situation ever again.

Sure look...here's the quotes:
I never want to experience that again, so the feeling at West Ham was one of relief. But also of pride — because it’s naive to think we don’t listen to criticism or read negative stories.

“We were driving to games and, whether it was talkSPORT or some other station, not one person gave us a chance of staying up with four games to go when we were seven points behind.

“We used that negativity to stay up. It came down to professional pride.
“No one gave us a chance — and that made it even sweeter.

“Wes Edens private-messaged a lot of us after West Ham to say congratulations.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.

He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on.

“The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football.

“It’s not going to be easy. But we’re behind each other, backing each other. We’re on the same page.”

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2072 on: September 02, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
They were pretty good during the 10 game run-in but other than that not really!

I don't agree with that, McGinn was really poor for most of it.

I think he meant the season before?

Yep the promotion 10 wins on the spin.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2073 on: September 21, 2020, 11:39:55 PM »
McGinn's form isn't just a rut any longer. Was tried in at least three different positions tonight and was rubbish. Putting passes out of play when under no pressure. Not showing for possession, not taking players on, not breaking into the box.

If ever there was a player that needs competition for his place it's McGinn.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2074 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:23 AM »
McGinn's form isn't just a rut any longer. Was tried in at least three different positions tonight and was rubbish. Putting passes out of play when under no pressure. Not showing for possession, not taking players on, not breaking into the box.

If ever there was a player that needs competition for his place it's McGinn.
Just said the same in the transfer thread. He was worse than Targett last night and that is a statement.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2075 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

He's class, he'll get there.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2076 on: September 22, 2020, 08:42:54 AM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

Agree, he needs football and fitness.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2077 on: September 22, 2020, 08:46:41 AM »

Rushed back in?!  He was back in training in March and played his first competitive league game in June!!!

He's then played just as much first team football as everyone else for the past six months.

I get that he's a fan favourite but how long does his free pass last?!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2078 on: September 22, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »

Agree, he needs football and fitness.

Agree. It's obvious he hasn't quite reached the heights of  when he first came but he has been out injured. All this 'he was training in March and came back in June' is not strictly true because I think he picked another injury and no-one really trained as team after the lockdown anyway. Let's just give him time shall we?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2079 on: September 22, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »

Rushed back in?!  He was back in training in March and played his first competitive league game in June!!!

He's then played just as much first team football as everyone else for the past six months.

Didn't I read he had an injury setback that would likely have seen him miss the rest of the season? Did I dream that? I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that when we restarted he was only just back to full training.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2080 on: September 22, 2020, 09:05:40 AM »

It ended last night for me, his performances need to improve or else he needs a spell on the bench.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2081 on: September 22, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »

Is he class though?  Personally I'm not sure he's good enough at any one aspect of the game to be a Premier League starter.  He was absolute gash yesterday and has been for ages now.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2082 on: September 22, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2083 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

As opposed to English people all absolutely committed to a healthy lifestyle 24/7.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2084 on: September 22, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
Good Championship player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal