collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653659 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2055 on: July 12, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Interesting that he had another stress fracture as he had looked off the pace. Promising for the last 3 games that he's looked better in the last 2 games.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2056 on: July 13, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
2 pretty bad injuries then back to back is going to take a while to get over. No friendlies or real warm up period before the re start despite being longer than a normal summer break won't have helped, and Mcginn clearly hasn't got the fitness levels he had pre injury. I hope he stays next season and is the driving force of the side to come back up.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2057 on: July 26, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
He was fantastic today.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2058 on: July 26, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2059 on: September 02, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
So I've developed a minor obsession with the idea of moving SJM to a kind of inside right forward position in a 4-2-3-1. This would free up Jack to play at no 10 while still having some solidity in midfield behind him (Luiz and Conor staying deep, for instance), and also would solve one of our wide-forward problems by allowing McGinn to do what he does best - get the ball, run at defences, get into goalscoring positions, and pester opposition defenders off the ball without worrying about leaving a huge gap in the middle of the pitch.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2060 on: September 02, 2020, 11:05:12 AM »
if either Nakamba steps up a level or we can find a sitting midfielder who's on a par with Luiz so that we can have the option of 2 defensive midfielders, it would give us options with the formation.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #2061 on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
So I've developed a minor obsession with the idea of moving SJM to a kind of inside right forward position in a 4-2-3-1. This would free up Jack to play at no 10 while still having some solidity in midfield behind him (Luiz and Conor staying deep, for instance), and also would solve one of our wide-forward problems by allowing McGinn to do what he does best - get the ball, run at defences, get into goalscoring positions, and pester opposition defenders off the ball without worrying about leaving a huge gap in the middle of the pitch.

Didn't he essentially start there at Everton. I certainly think he's an option  further forward, it gives you the orion of a very high press. Needs to get back to his fighting fitness though, and treated with a bit more care next season.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2062 on: September 02, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »
An option, though 4-2-3-1 typically means you need a lot from the fullbacks in terms of supporting and getting past the midfield player on their side and then decent delivery on crosses and passes.

Guilbert has shown, in patches, he can do that though to deliver a consistent and major improvement it might need an upgrade of both fullbacks - with Matty Cash the target (no pun intended) for RB.

The other option is to switch to three at the back - as DS seems to like and which would mean (most likely) Mings - Engels - Konsa.

I've not given up on Engels and I think that could work as both Mings and Konsa like to bring the ball out. Though it is quite a fundamental change when a bit of continuity and stability might be the better bet in terms of delivering a steady start to the season. As ever - the decision is long-term plan versus short-term gain.

Anyone know whether Shakespeare has a preferred formation?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2063 on: September 02, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »

I like that idea, get in someone very defensive im midfield and tel lthe fullbacks to play more like wing backs and I think that could work really well. I think one of the biggest problems early in the season was us trying to get Grealish and McGinn in as 2 8s, which just didn't work.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2064 on: September 02, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »

I like that idea, get in someone very defensive im midfield and tel lthe fullbacks to play more like wing backs and I think that could work really well. I think one of the biggest problems early in the season was us trying to get Grealish and McGinn in as 2 8s, which just didn't work.

Yeah, you'd need peak-Javi Martinez or someone to make that 4-3-3 work. I'm a huge fan of Doug but he's not that player, and in fact you could free him up to play the Xabi Alonso role in deep alongside a more orthodox defensive player if we sign the latter (or if Nakamba steps up, as OCD says).

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2065 on: September 02, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »

I sincerely hope we don't try that 2x8s again this upcoming season. No matter what Grealish might think his best position is or most likely to get him firmly into the England reckoning.

Have McGinn and Grealish ever played particularly well for us at the same time?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2066 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
They were pretty good during the 10 game run-in but other than that not really!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2067 on: September 02, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »

I don't agree with that, McGinn was really poor for most of it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2068 on: September 02, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
I think they've played well together when Jack is playing wide, in the centre together and they're definitely worse than the sum of their parts.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #2069 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

I don't agree with that, McGinn was really poor for most of it.

I think he meant the season before?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal