collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 668262 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain 2022/23)
« Reply #4665 on: March 27, 2023, 01:22:55 PM »
*clears throat, waits for BE*

:)

I'm saying nothing.

Ha ha, very good.
I've not followed but just skimmed through and seen this so I'm a bit nonplussed but YES or NO as the case may be. I'm working so you'll have to point me to it later. Ta! :-)

Mute / moot.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #4666 on: March 27, 2023, 01:36:53 PM »
I think it will be similar for all strikers at international level.  This is Kanes record ( from Twitter )

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4667 on: March 27, 2023, 01:39:07 PM »
I think it will be similar for all strikers at international level.  This is Kanes record ( from Twitter )

Which as mentioned on the previous page isn't accurate as a number of his pens were against the sides listed. Two against Panama at the World Cup for example.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #4668 on: March 27, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »

I'm saying nothing.

Ha ha, very good.
I've not followed but just skimmed through and seen this so I'm a bit nonplussed but YES or NO as the case may be. I'm working so you'll have to point me to it later. Ta! :-)

Mute / moot.
Ah, yes.  My eyes had already glazed over at some apostrophe crime and various misdemeanours and the final word in the post didn't register.

But I hear you.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4669 on: March 27, 2023, 02:02:29 PM »
Not accurate but indicative that every* international striker will have a record that is dominated by goals against teams that are miles below the standard they are used to playing at club level. It's why I don't look at domestic cup goals either as they can often be misleading. Even the champions league and Europa league can be difficult to read into.

All of which suggests that singling out McGinn for scoring against shit international teams and not scoring for us is a bit unfair. The biggest difference is how he's used.
For us in 23 league appearances he's had 27 shots.
For Scotland in 7 appearances he's managed 21.

He should definitely have a couple of goals for us but comparing his record to how he is for Scotland is a bit pointless.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4670 on: March 27, 2023, 02:08:19 PM »
Not accurate but indicative that every* international striker will have a record that is dominated by goals against teams that are miles below the standard they are used to playing at club level. It's why I don't look at domestic cup goals either as they can often be misleading. Even the champions league and Europa league can be difficult to read into.

All of which suggests that singling out McGinn for scoring against shit international teams and not scoring for us is a bit unfair. The biggest difference is how he's used.

He should definitely have a couple of goals for us but comparing his record to how he is for Scotland is a bit pointless.
Then comparing his shots for international and club is also pointless isn't it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4671 on: March 27, 2023, 02:21:06 PM »

Oh come on footy, surely you can see that he plays in a very attacking role for Scotland, and that for a long time he’s played in a more defensive role for Villa. Under Smith he lined-up alongside, or slightly ahead of Dougie in a 4-2-3-1, while under Gerrard he was expected to cover his full-back. I’m not his biggest fan but in his few games for Emery you can see he has been involved more in the attacking play, especially before Dougie’s regular partner Kamara got injured.

If he continues to be goal and/or assist-shy in the more attacking role Emery assigned him to before Bouba’s injury I’m sure UE will look to address that in the summer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 02:25:21 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4672 on: March 27, 2023, 02:24:08 PM »
Oh come on footy, surely even someone a clueless as you can work out that he plays in a very attacking role for Scotland

Not really called for.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4673 on: March 27, 2023, 02:24:51 PM »
Oh come on footy, surely even someone a clueless as you can work out that he plays in a very attacking role for Scotland

Not really called for.

Sorry. Edit incoming.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #4674 on: March 27, 2023, 02:27:22 PM »
No harm done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 02:30:43 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4675 on: March 27, 2023, 02:32:03 PM »
I have already said " He's been looking fitter and leaner and has performed well in recent matches for us.
Remember when we first arrived back in the Prem McGinn ahead of anyone was the one who looked most comfortable at the top level.

I'll just say no more and wait on outcome now on goals, but hopefully, he scores vs. Spain AND Chelsea! That would be Super."

I'm hardly clueless as reeled of actual stats.
Facts
SJM has appaeraed in 123 matches in the Premier League.
Started in 118 matches and scored 9 goals.

He has scored 3 goals each season in his 3 seasons at Prem Level.

I don't wish to talk on this anymore till after the matches.

Anyone can look up statistics. You lack the insight to see them in context.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4676 on: March 27, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »

Honestly, yes but it's a better insight into why he scores more goals for them. The very basic concept of 'you can't score goals if you don't shoot' covers most of the difference recently.

The only important question for anyone to be asking on this is why does he take nearly 3x as many shots per game for scotland than he does for Villa?
We can put forward some theories, for example: Is it just a positional thing? is it confidence? Is it that they're comparatively weaker defences so he gets more time? Is it because he knows he NEEDS to score for them whereas for us he trusts the players in front of him more?

If we want more goals from him we need to work out the answer(s) to that and address it. I don't think it's gonig to be down to any single one of those points though, probably elements of all of them, and other things on top that no one on here has mentioned.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4677 on: March 27, 2023, 09:28:48 PM »

I'm saying nothing.

Ha ha, very good.

Mute / moot.
Ah, yes.  My eyes had already glazed over at some apostrophe crime and various misdemeanours and the final word in the post didn't register.

But I hear you.

I apologise for the mute/moot error, but absolutely not for my various misdemeanours.

Offline avfcdale

« Reply #4678 on: March 29, 2023, 08:14:53 AM »
Well done John and all your Scots teammates epic win over Spain

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #4679 on: March 30, 2023, 09:28:41 PM »
McGinn has said Scotland were absolutely time wasting against Scotland. Has to be wise to his comments as both captain of Villa but also that he is coached by Spainish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal