collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 671543 times)

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #3405 on: July 27, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
I do like McGinn but thought with the players we have in the middle and possibly adding to it his position might have been under threat, obviously not now.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3406 on: July 27, 2022, 05:35:49 PM »
McGinn struggled when he had a weak No6 behind him, as did the whole midfield. He is a better player than recent form suggests and needs to be 30 yards further forward. Play Doug there and we will struggle, that was obvious throughout last season.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3407 on: July 27, 2022, 05:37:00 PM »
McGinn's stats are pretty damn good though, regardless of what people may feel they see.

From one-versus-one

He has scored 3 times after 38 match days in the season 2021/2022. This makes him the number 102 scorer in the Premier League so far. His conversion rate for shots to goals is 37.

John McGinn has 4 assists after 38 match days in the season 2021/2022. With these statistics he ranks number 41 in the Premier League. He also has a total of 26 chances created. With these statistics he ranks number 36 in the Premier League.

In season 2021/2022. He has won 57 aerial duels and 176 tackles. On top of this he made a total of 14 blocks. Based on these statistics after match day 38 he ranks on number 2 in the Premier League.

He is a Midfielder - Right central in Aston Villa. Within his team of Aston Villa he is currently ranked 1 best player of his team based on our 1vs1 Index Aston Villa.

Also.... McGinn won more tackles than any other Premier League player last season and won more fouls than anyone else bar Zaha. He was the 20th biggest threat going forwards too.

In summary he's an all-round player with a great attitude.

Part of the reason Mings lost it in my view is that he was top of the Yellow Card list last season (and his partner Konsa top of the Red Card list.)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3408 on: July 27, 2022, 05:41:11 PM »
Very strange decision for me. Kind of adds to the suspicion that McGinn is undroppable in Gerrard's eyes despite never really doing it consistently in the top division. General consensus on here, which I agree with, is that McGinn shouldn't be an automatic first pick this season if we are to progress.

No matter what spin Mings puts on it, it certainly is a blow for him. I never really thought being captain put him out too much, whenever he concentrated on the basics he was fine. Not trying to be Maldini and losing the ball in contact. Communicated well on the pitch and certainly a role model off it.

If it's a football decision and ultimately Gerrard wants centre halves better able to bring the ball out from the back then fair enough, that's not Mings strength and his time with us could be up quite quickly if Carlos is seen as ready. But ball retention has never been the friend of McGinn either.

Offline cdward

« Reply #3409 on: July 27, 2022, 05:41:43 PM »
Just because someone’s captain, it doesn’t mean they are guaranteed a game if they aren’t performing. Personally, I couldn’t care who it is and it’s not as big a deal as it used to be.

I can't think of many teams where the captain isn't a guaranteed starter. Why would you make them captain if they weren't?
Maybe the real point is that SG can drop/rotate Mings a lot more now.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3410 on: July 27, 2022, 05:44:20 PM »
Seems a pointless and unnecessary snub to Mings for me.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3411 on: July 27, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
My worry is that signals that we are going to set up as last season with SJM in no mans land and Mings and Watkins up front.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3412 on: July 27, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
Well done SJM. Feel sorry for Mings, though.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3413 on: July 27, 2022, 05:47:57 PM »
My worry is that signals that we are going to set up as last season with SJM in no mans land and Mings and Watkins up front.
Or worse, Ings and Watkins

This is whats giving me the sinking feeling - that this season will just be a re-run of last one

McGinn is a good player - if used right - I dont think that the way that SG wants his team to play suits his strengths.  Having Kamara may help, but to me he is SGM is worse than Luiz and Ramsey

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #3414 on: July 27, 2022, 05:48:37 PM »
I think we can take Gerrard's explanation at face value. We all know Mings is a fine defender but that his problem, such as it is, is maintaining full concentration for 90 minutes. I genuinely think the manager sees this as removing a distraction.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3415 on: July 27, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »
Seems a pointless and unnecessary snub to Mings for me.

Or it shows that this is Gerrard's team and nobody's place is guaranteed.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3416 on: July 27, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »
I can't see on any measure how John McGinns place should be any more guarenteed than Mings

Both have been great for us - but evidence to suggest that both have a) hit theirs ceiling, b) dont suit SG style of play

Promised myself I wouldnt get worked up by shit like this, this season - so will try and stop now and give SG the benefit of my doubt (which I am sure he'll be pleased with)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #3417 on: July 27, 2022, 05:56:34 PM »
I think we can take Gerrard's explanation at face value. We all know Mings is a fine defender but that his problem, such as it is, is maintaining full concentration for 90 minutes. I genuinely think the manager sees this as removing a distraction.

That’s my take too. Help Mings become a better defender.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3418 on: July 27, 2022, 05:59:38 PM »
Just because someone’s captain, it doesn’t mean they are guaranteed a game if they aren’t performing. Personally, I couldn’t care who it is and it’s not as big a deal as it used to be.

This is true. I’ll add,  Mings will behave like a captain in any case just like when Grealish was captain.

Online Nii Lamptey

« Reply #3419 on: July 27, 2022, 05:59:57 PM »
Feel sorry for Tyrone - He's a great ambassador for the club and one of the few footballing role models that you'd feel comfortable your kids looking up to. Perfect captain material in my view.

As for the McGinn decision - It sends alarm bells that he'll be playing week in, week out, when he shouldn't even be first choice imo. Sanson, Kamara and Buendia should be our midfield 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal