collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621758 times)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3690 on: January 26, 2022, 07:38:42 PM »
Surely the stand at Old Trafford and the new one at Anfield  go back, and up, further than the Holte?

Haven't been there but the ends at West Ham look far from the pitch as well. I've never found it to be an issue in the Upper Holte.
Ive been to West Ham - and was sitting at the top of what we be Doug Ellis Upper at Villa Park - and it felt way further than anywhere I have ever sat anywhere.  The running track cerates a real strange distance

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3691 on: January 26, 2022, 08:16:45 PM »
I really am excited to see some stadium plans and renders. I hope its good. Any day now?  8)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3692 on: January 26, 2022, 08:30:12 PM »
Wets Ham is easily the shittest of the big new grounds. Spurs is great, and  feels like it's been designed to be as good a new football stadium as possible. West Ham feels like an athletics stadium with a football team shoehorned in as an afterthought, which I suppose is what it is.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3693 on: January 26, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »
Spurs was purpose built for PL and NFL which they seem to have done a superb job of. Shame then that the punters have to watch Tottenham and mainly the Jacksonville Jaguars play there

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3694 on: January 26, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »
A cheap stadium at that too. Open concourses, temporary seats, miles from a decent pub. It’s crap.

West ham that is, not spurs.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #3695 on: January 26, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »
A cheap stadium at that too. Open concourses, temporary seats, miles from a decent pub. It’s crap.

West ham that is, not spurs.
Cheap. That's Brady and the Gold brothers all over. I assume you were talking about West Ham and not Spurs.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3696 on: January 27, 2022, 09:31:13 AM »
Spurs was purpose built for PL and NFL which they seem to have done a superb job of. Shame then that the punters have to watch Tottenham and mainly the Jacksonville Jaguars play there

A family member of mine, who isn't a Spurs fan but went there when given a ticket by his mate, said that the sound system there is so good, it's practically like being in a club. He was hugely impressed.

It looks impressive to me and I am sure the food and commercial / hospitality bits are as brilliant as people say they are (certainly compared to ours) but what disappoints me is the outside, it looks so cheap and nasty, with that multi-tone cladding that builders put on the crappy buy-to-rent apartment blocks that choke every city centre these days.

I felt more or less the same about Wembley - it just looks crap, cheap and dated on the outside. With the added extra that the concourse areas (not in the posh seat areas where they're at least a bit nicer) are so hideously stark - concrete, like they ran out of money and thought "fuck it, that'll do" whilst somehow still managing to spend the equivalent of the national debt of a medium sized country on building it.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3697 on: January 27, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »
I’ve been to both and I preferred White Hart Lane to the new ground

In fact I prefer all the old grounds to the new ones with the possible exception of Ayresome Park

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3698 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »
Wembley lost a lot of mystique when they ditched the twin towers instead of incorporating that iconic image into the new stadium. The other thing about the stadium was the fact that it stood alone in an very flat area with little or no development, that along with the fact that it was white, made it a striking landmark and as you approached you could feel the excitement and tension ahead of a big match or gig. Fans were used to attending football grounds that were markedly different, think the backstreets around Maine Road, the residences almost invading the terraces at Highbury or our own location where the traffic passes within yards of the turnstiles.

Now it's been almost swallowed up by buildings and the area feels claustrophobic and airless, were it not for the very ordinary and unremarkable arch you wouldn't even know it was there.

The southerly approach to Villa Park, from the Lichfield Road, heading under the Expressway, the Church on the right, the park on the left and The Holte Pub ahead is magical and something I would hate to see change.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #3699 on: January 27, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »

I was at the Spurs training ground last week and it is stunning. Apparently the plan is to add an NFL standard training ground to it.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3700 on: January 27, 2022, 10:55:07 AM »
Wembley lost a lot of mystique when they ditched the twin towers instead of incorporating that iconic image into the new stadium. The other thing about the stadium was the fact that it stood alone in an very flat area with little or no development, that along with the fact that it was white, made it a striking landmark and as you approached you could feel the excitement and tension ahead of a big match or gig. Fans were used to attending football grounds that were markedly different, think the backstreets around Maine Road, the residences almost invading the terraces at Highbury or our own location where the traffic passes within yards of the turnstiles.

Now it's been almost swallowed up by buildings and the area feels claustrophobic and airless, were it not for the very ordinary and unremarkable arch you wouldn't even know it was there.

The southerly approach to Villa Park, from the Lichfield Road, heading under the Expressway, the Church on the right, the park on the left and The Holte Pub ahead is magical and something I would hate to see change.
Yeah, I think if we are to develop Villa Park - which personally I think is the most sensible option in the short-to-medium term future - then we should really go out for making it as striking as possible.  A landmark that people who aren't even interested in football will recognise, like Wembley was.

A big, brick-clad clocktower in the corner is the way to go IMO, like the one at Birmingham uni.  It's all about impressions, isn't it?  You hear players coming and saying that they didn't realise how big a club Villa were ... well, change that.  Make it abundantly clear that the Villa aren't the biggest club in the second city - we absolutely dominate both the city itself, and everywhere else for miles around.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3701 on: January 27, 2022, 11:15:55 AM »
Yeah, I think if we are to develop Villa Park - which personally I think is the most sensible option in the short-to-medium term future - then we should really go out for making it as striking as possible.  A landmark that people who aren't even interested in football will recognise, like Wembley was.

A big, brick-clad clocktower in the corner is the way to go IMO, like the one at Birmingham uni.  It's all about impressions, isn't it? 

Not sold on a clocktower but I would like us to bring back the lion rampant on a new stand. For me the one on the old Trinity was one of the most iconic things at Villa Park.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3702 on: January 27, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
Ellis wanted that approach to be called Villa Way, to ape that at Wembley but his plan included demolishing the Holte Pub the fucking vandal.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3703 on: January 27, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
I was at the last home game (Man Utd) and this is only my perspective, but to me little had changed in 30 years in terms of getting away from the ground after the game - and I mean that in a good way - we had no problems.  We parked in our usual spot the other side of Lichfield Road by Thimblemill, it's a longer walk, but once back at the car you get away easily.  I'm not as familiar with the North side of the ground, so can't talk to that.  However, anyone parking on the Southern side within the Lichfiled road and the ground is asking for trouble IMO.

The only issue we did have was the stupid lorries parked outside the church blocking the road and funneling everyone through a narrow gap.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #3704 on: January 27, 2022, 02:17:47 PM »

The only issue we did have was the stupid lorries parked outside the church blocking the road and funneling everyone through a narrow gap.

Tbf they are there to stop any looney tunes mowing us down in a car...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal