collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621575 times)

Offline Scott Nielsen

Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #2280 on: July 31, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »
If the "big" clubs want our players every summer then we must be doing something right.

Every player is different and every player has their price. If Man Utd offered us £100m for Konsa next summer I'd drive him to Old Trafford myself!

As long as every year we progress, and that sometimes means cashing in on players at their peak value, then that's the main thing.

And if Europe's brightest and best want to come to the Villa because they know it'll benefit their career in the long run them what's the problem? It hasn't done Dortmund any harm and they've just sold one of their best players too.

I appreciate the argument you make but Dortmund are about as likely to win Bundesliga as we are winning the PL. That's because they keep selling their best players. Best case for us is we become another Leicester but I think very, very difficult to repeat their sustained success in the transfer market.

In the last decade Dortmund have won the league twice, the German FA Cup once, have finished in the top 4 in all but one of those seasons and played European football every season - almost all of those in the Champions League. On top of that they've got a tremendous stadium and are seen as the place to be if you're one of Europe's best young players.

If the Villa can replicate that, I'll take it.

That is true. It is also true Bayern Munchen has now won the league nine times in a row. Buying Lewandowski, Gotze and Hummels, Dortmund's best players, were a big reason for that. I don't want us to just become a feeder club to the top 4 in England.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2281 on: July 31, 2021, 10:45:57 AM »
As I said last night these owners have done more than enough to deserve some latitude. Jack would have been gone years ago for peanuts and we’d have been in financial ruin were it not for them. How about don’t turn on them the first time something happens we don’t like? We have no idea of the circumstances around this.
I think this is putting it mildly. Both owners and player have done so much for this club in a very short time. Jack deserves his move-if he wants it, and the owners have kept him loyal (and well paid) through some very difficult years.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #2282 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
I have absolute full faith that these owners will be doing everything they can to deliver the right outcome for Aston Villa, and I think most people here will agree with me. I honestly don’t think we could be in better hands right now. Up the Villa.

I agree but if Grealish is sold this will be their biggest test. It will make their job of selling the ambition of the club to new players a little more difficult.
a little ? I would suggest an awful lot and it’s not just new players I would worry about.

Yeah exactly. Say Man Utd come in for Konsa next summer for example, what's he going to be thinking.

Any new big ish players from Europe would see us a good platform to show their ability in the top league to impress the 'big' teams.

If the "big" clubs want our players every summer then we must be doing something right.

Every player is different and every player has their price. If Man Utd offered us £100m for Konsa next summer I'd drive him to Old Trafford myself!

As long as every year we progress, and that sometimes means cashing in on players at their peak value, then that's the main thing.

And if Europe's brightest and best want to come to the Villa because they know it'll benefit their career in the long run them what's the problem? It hasn't done Dortmund any harm and they've just sold one of their best players too.

I don't want to be Villa to be a stepping stone though, with oil money clubs taking our players as and when they feel like it.

In an ideal world we would progress each year selling players as the top value with another cheapo player ready to step up, but it very rarely works out like that, although Leicester are doing very well in that regard.

Dortmund are already a massive Clun who can offer champions league football and be in with a fairly competitive shot at a trophy most seasons. There're too many teams ahead of us for us to realistically do the same, especially if we are used as stepping stones to strengthen the already stronger teams above us.

A lot of 'what ifs' in that gibberish, but you get the general idea.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2283 on: July 31, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
As I said last night these owners have done more than enough to deserve some latitude. Jack would have been gone years ago for peanuts and we’d have been in financial ruin were it not for them. How about don’t turn on them the first time something happens we don’t like? We have no idea of the circumstances around this.
I think this is putting it mildly. Both owners and player have done so much for this club in a very short time. Jack deserves his move-if he wants it, and the owners have kept him loyal (and well paid) through some very difficult years.
If he was looking to move, he shouldn’t have signed a 5 year deal less than a year ago and given it the ‘my club’ bullshit.
Every bit as snakey as the snake.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:54:37 AM by andyh »

Offline kipeye

« Reply #2284 on: July 31, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
For me the feeder club is missing the point: We are just a couple of seasons off (and we can afford to buy our way there) establishing ourselves in Europe. Once we do, we will be able to keep our very best. Shame in some ways, because I hate the whole concept of European leagues as they are at the moment. But, there it is.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #2285 on: July 31, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
If he was looking to move, he shouldn’t have signed a 5 year deal less than a year ago and given it the ‘my club’ bullshit.
Every bit as snakey as the snake.
Not at all. This guarantees a club as well as the player, maximum benefit from a transfer.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2286 on: July 31, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
What benefit? We’re already rich apparently

Offline kipeye

« Reply #2287 on: July 31, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
What benefit? We’re already rich apparently
What is your point? We sell him for £20m less because we are rich?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2288 on: July 31, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
My point is that there is no benefit to this because our owners are already outrageously wealthy.  Selling Grealish weakens us massively and strengthens them.  We won’t be able to spend that 100m on same-level players, but had a chance to do that with one world class player already at the club. 

What benefit do you see in this? 

Offline kipeye

« Reply #2289 on: July 31, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
My point is that there is no benefit to this because our owners are already outrageously wealthy.  Selling Grealish weakens us massively and strengthens them.  We won’t be able to spend that 100m on same-level players, but had a chance to do that with one world class player already at the club. 

What benefit do you see in this? 
I think you know well and just need the last word. The club gets the best deal and so does the player. That is a benefit to both.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2290 on: July 31, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
They've given up. An absolute crossroads and they've laid down and took it. Pathetic.

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #2291 on: July 31, 2021, 11:27:58 AM »
I would love to know how difficult Grealish and his agent have been to deal with for our owners for the past few summers.
Maybe they are hacked off with dealing with them and given his injury record feel it is time to cash in before he becomes crocked?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2292 on: July 31, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
They've given up. An absolute crossroads and they've laid down and took it. Pathetic.

The evidence points to a player/agent agitating to get out so I think that's why this has progressed so far.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #2293 on: July 31, 2021, 11:31:07 AM »
This hasn't happened yet. He may stay, we may reject the bid.

Offline frank black

« Reply #2294 on: July 31, 2021, 11:35:39 AM »

The evidence points to a player/agent agitating to get out so I think that's why this has progressed so far.

To me it’s blatantly obvious that there’s a clause in the contract.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal