collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 671021 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #1920 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
However, the 41 players out for a grand total of £5m income is absolutely shocking and says everything about the absolute mess of a squad the previous regime left us with.

That is what jumped out at me.  Benteke is the only player I can think of that we’ve cashed in since the MON era.  That’s shocking (even if I have missed a few) and also highlights the benefit of, occasionally, selling the odd player at their peak value to generate cash and refresh the squad.

I don't even mind the not cashing in bit to be honest. It's the amount of 5m/10m signings who we've had to give free transfers that annoys me. Even allowing for the retirements and kids in that 41, there's at least 15 first team squad players who we've had to release for nothing.

At least with Connor and Guilbert now we're actively doing something to push their value up in the event that they do leave and would be able at the very least to recoup what we paid. Yet another part of the new regime which is visibly a big improvement.

Totally agree.  I don’t mean cashing in the ‘crown jewels’ but making a profit on El Ghazi and/or Trez (and Hause/Davis?) should be a priority as it’ll free up space in the squad and give us headroom to invest again.  Conversely selling Engles just creates a FFP problem again as it would be deemed a loss (I think).

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1921 on: February 12, 2021, 07:35:04 PM »
It used to piss me off royally even in the well-funded Lerner years that we just let so many players sit out their contracts and didn't seem capable of selling players.

We must have wasted so much fucking money.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1922 on: February 12, 2021, 07:40:03 PM »
We pay good salaries, the players we wanted to get rid of weren't wanted by other clubs or if they were, not at the same rate of salary and never-ending spiral of mediocrity went on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1923 on: February 12, 2021, 07:41:36 PM »

Totally agree.  I don’t mean cashing in the ‘crown jewels’ but making a profit on El Ghazi and/or Trez (and Hause/Davis?) should be a priority as it’ll free up space in the squad and give us headroom to invest again.  Conversely selling Engles just creates a FFP problem again as it would be deemed a loss (I think).

If we sell him in the summer, his amortised value will be about £4m if he was on a four year contract. We'll easily get at least that back for him, there were times last season when he looked quite good.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1924 on: February 12, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »

If we sell him in the summer, his amortised value will be about £4m if he was on a four year contract. We'll easily get at least that back for him, there were times last season when he looked quite good.

'Amortised'. A word that seemed to just appear from nowhere and then started to get used a lot in a Villa context a while back.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1925 on: February 12, 2021, 09:18:15 PM »
Amortisation was invented by Mark Ansell.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1926 on: February 13, 2021, 12:01:46 AM »
It used to piss me off royally even in the well-funded Lerner years that we just let so many players sit out their contracts and didn't seem capable of selling players.

That was the main reason MON dumped us at the alter, he thought he was above trading players. He obviously thought Lerner should keep giving him money and unlike every other manager in the league, he didn't need to sell players. The fact that so many players were on great contracts and not being used didn't mean jack-shit to him. He was the boss no matter what Lerner thought, such was his opinion of himself. The fact that our deadwood was worth peanuts was something he was well aware of but didn't want to ruin his reputation.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #1927 on: February 13, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
Amortisation was invented by Mark Ansell.

Amortisation would get mentioned to a packed Witton Lane stand at AGMs in the 70s. Nobody give a shit, we just wanted to cheer Ron Saunders who looked like he really didn't want to be there listening to a bunch of arsehole directors. It got more interesting when Doug fell out with Harry Parkes & Jim Hartley.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1928 on: February 13, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »

That was the main reason MON dumped us at the alter, he thought he was above trading players. He obviously thought Lerner should keep giving him money and unlike every other manager in the league, he didn't need to sell players. The fact that so many players were on great contracts and not being used didn't mean jack-shit to him. He was the boss no matter what Lerner thought, such was his opinion of himself. The fact that our deadwood was worth peanuts was something he was well aware of but didn't want to ruin his reputation.

Well said

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1929 on: February 13, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »

Well said

Indeed.  MON was a great coach (most of the time) but his outlook was so short sighted. A manger who wanted to build a club rather than elevate/maintain his own reputation could have been a sliding doors moment for the club.  It might have kept Randy engaged (for longer). 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1930 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:10 AM »
NS about to accept a $4.7bn offer for a private jet company. All the monies!

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #1931 on: February 23, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »

Loose change!

Can we have 10% for our summer shopping trip.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1932 on: February 23, 2021, 06:57:11 PM »

Think he only has 7.42% of that but maybe he can persuade his co-stakeholder in that company, Bill Gates, to get involved in the Villa. :)

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1933 on: February 23, 2021, 07:06:38 PM »
So he trousers around $349m for that.  There’s the transfer budget for the summer sorted.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1934 on: February 23, 2021, 07:58:17 PM »
So he trousers around $349m for that.  There’s the transfer budget for the summer sorted.

Pocket money to him! Give DS £100m this summer to spend...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal