collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622030 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #1905 on: February 12, 2021, 12:31:47 AM »
Also, according to that, Parma have signed 149 players in 2 years. Has Barry Fry gone there?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1906 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:28 AM »
I think maybe Parma sign loads of players to loan out. Or they did. Or I'm getting them mixed up with a different Italian team. Were Parma the ones that kept loaning players to Watford?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1907 on: February 12, 2021, 01:25:33 AM »
Udinese I think.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1908 on: February 12, 2021, 01:31:31 AM »
Ah, ignore that theory then.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1909 on: February 12, 2021, 07:31:01 AM »
We need to win a cup or challenge to get into the top 4 with the money that our 2 owners are currently ploughing into the club

Next season Dean will need to ensure that we start to challenge for honours otherwise I think a few of the squad will start to look for moves away to other teams

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1910 on: February 12, 2021, 07:51:14 AM »
We need to win a cup or challenge to get into the top 4 with the money that our 2 owners are currently ploughing into the club

Next season Dean will need to ensure that we start to challenge for honours otherwise I think a few of the squad will start to look for moves away to other teams

A few of them have signed new deals so they're probably happy with the clubs future plans. Maybe in a couple of seasons if we haven't progressed or have gone backwards, one or two might want to look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:20:58 AM by Clampy »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1911 on: February 12, 2021, 07:52:09 AM »
Being top of that chart is probably something our owners hate but it was always going to be something that happened for a few years before the academy started paying off and we started selling off players that are in demand. I suspect the long term plan is to have a net loss on transfers of no more than about £20m a season they've spoke about the club being sustainable a lot and if you look on that list clubs like Dortmund are probably the closest to how I think they want to go.
Yeah ... that's pretty much how I'd see it.  My guess would be that we'll probably not have a strict budget as of such, but longer term not make many 'big' signings - mostly youngsters (e.g. Louie Barry) and undervalued players (Sanson, Cash).

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1912 on: February 12, 2021, 08:39:15 AM »
I was today years old when I realised NSWE stood for the initials of the owners.  FFS just remove me from this forum or something, I deserve it! 

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #1913 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
Parma sign tonnes of players and loan them out, with a view to developing and selling them for a profit.

Chelsea do the same too.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1914 on: February 12, 2021, 09:27:49 AM »
I was today years old when I realised NSWE stood for the initials of the owners.  FFS just remove me from this forum or something, I deserve it! 

I always think its the Not Safe For Work acronym and when I browsed in the office I would always glance both ways to make sure nothing dodgy was on the next click.

Now, working from home, I click on the new posts button with care-free abandon and if it happens to be Richard Hubbard, lost on his way from Off Topic posting images of females "fit over forty", so be it.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1915 on: February 12, 2021, 10:31:29 AM »

I always think its the Not Safe For Work acronym and when I browsed in the office I would always glance both ways to make sure nothing dodgy was on the next click.

Ha ha, me too.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1916 on: February 12, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
Lerner's biggest failing wasn't to do with not putting enough money in, certainly not in the early days. It was that, having put said money in, he utterly failed at any point to build up a decent management team to get the most out of his investment.

Even the Man City owners, who are way, way richer, made a point of doing that.

Lerner by comparison put in General Krulak, who had no experience in the game, and then Faulkner, who was someone who ran credit card call centres for him. Even when he finally did appoint someone with a football background, it was Tom Fox, who combined said background with being a fucking idiot.

When you run a company like that, it's going to drift big-time. Relegation was pretty much inevitable on the basis of the previous 5 seasons. I was surprised it took so long, if anything.

Yes, crazy way to go about things. He started off with the right ideas I think, when he brought blokes like that Kain in, but then very quickly decided life would be easier with his mates around him so just relied on Krulak and Faulkner instead. They were undoubtedly well-intentioned, just completely unqualified for the job at hand.

Tom Fox though, I don't even know where to start with him. He was the boardroom equivalent of Ross McCormack. You look at his record and think he should do a decent job, but he was an utter, utter disaster at every single facet of the job. I can't think of a single thing he got right, and in fact just about everything the bloke said or did was an absolute shitshow.
Without absolving Randy of blame here, wasn't a lot of this down to MON? He couldn't deal with having a "proper" CEO disrupting his access to the owner, which is a trend that seems to have followed on to his time in Sunderland. Obviously there's an argument to be made that lerner should have been stronger on it, but considering a lot of this was in the honeymoon period, and more importantly when O'Neill had a large amount of support, it could have resulted in other problems had they dug their heels in.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1917 on: February 12, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »
That's why I'm so critical of Bruce, the only significant asset he left us with (of his signings) is McGinn. Smith has done things so much better because we're probably looking at a squad value of about half a billion now considering Watkins, Jack, Luiz and Konsa would get us about halfway there right now and most of other starters are in the £20-40m bracket.

Even then, McGinn is rumoured to be someone that had been recommended to the owners and who the owners acted on and Bruce was just the lucky beneficiary. Who knows though.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1918 on: February 12, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
However, the 41 players out for a grand total of £5m income is absolutely shocking and says everything about the absolute mess of a squad the previous regime left us with.

That is what jumped out at me.  Benteke is the only player I can think of that we’ve cashed in since the MON era.  That’s shocking (even if I have missed a few) and also highlights the benefit of, occasionally, selling the odd player at their peak value to generate cash and refresh the squad.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1919 on: February 12, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »
However, the 41 players out for a grand total of £5m income is absolutely shocking and says everything about the absolute mess of a squad the previous regime left us with.

That is what jumped out at me.  Benteke is the only player I can think of that we’ve cashed in since the MON era.  That’s shocking (even if I have missed a few) and also highlights the benefit of, occasionally, selling the odd player at their peak value to generate cash and refresh the squad.

I don't even mind the not cashing in bit to be honest. It's the amount of 5m/10m signings who we've had to give free transfers that annoys me. Even allowing for the retirements and kids in that 41, there's at least 15 first team squad players who we've had to release for nothing.

At least with Connor and Guilbert now we're actively doing something to push their value up in the event that they do leave and would be able at the very least to recoup what we paid. Yet another part of the new regime which is visibly a big improvement.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:02:56 PM by SheffieldVillain »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal