collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555230 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1125 on: July 03, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »
The bit I find odd is the comments I've seen here and multiple other places about him coming in and organising the defence.  The defence was, generally, solid most of last season.  We had plenty of clean sheets in the new year so I don't know what people expect.  All of our problems are down to organisation in midfield and training and I just don't see how Terry addresses those issues.  He might add a few goals from corners, which will just further my belief that Bruce would be happy winning 1-0 and only committing people forward to set pieces.

Thou I agree the defence was one of the best statistically in the league , there was times when we went ahead and we then turned into headless chickens , we were not good under pressure and how many late goals did we concede.   

We struggled to kill games off didn't we. That was through not taking our chances more than anything else I think though.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1126 on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
How long before someone makes a picture of JT holding aloft the European Cup in Rotterdam in a Villa shirt?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1127 on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Well I for one welcome our new racist, full kit wanker overlord.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1128 on: July 03, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Well, the signing has made the 1 pm news headlines. Can't remember the last time we had a signing that did this. Let's see what they have to say...

David Ginola.  16 year old me went on Midlands Today and said I was looking forward to Ginola linking up with Dublin, Merson and...Nilis!

This is the main news ...national and international, not something which doesn't accommodate HD viewing.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1129 on: July 03, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
The bit I find odd is the comments I've seen here and multiple other places about him coming in and organising the defence.  The defence was, generally, solid most of last season.  We had plenty of clean sheets in the new year so I don't know what people expect.  All of our problems are down to organisation in midfield and training and I just don't see how Terry addresses those issues.  He might add a few goals from corners, which will just further my belief that Bruce would be happy winning 1-0 and only committing people forward to set pieces.

The 19 goals Kodjia scored and the 9 or 10 Adomah set up last season doesn't really bear your 'only committing people forward to set pieces' theory very well really.

I think you should read it again, "I think Bruce would be happy" doesn't mean I think that we did that. Yes we scored some goals from open play, that's the advantage of having one of the best strikers in the league who is capable of making goals from nothing and a winger who, despite the criticism he gets on here, get 1-2 decent crosses over pretty much every game which means you always have a chance.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1130 on: July 03, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
On the plus side the kit he's wearing looks a proper claret. Silver linings and all...

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1131 on: July 03, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »

Thou I agree the defence was one of the best statistically in the league , there was times when we went ahead and we then turned into headless chickens , we were not good under pressure and how many late goals did we concede.   

Though we had a good defensive record under Bruce last season, a lot of that was as much to do with having 10 men behind the ball and not committing men forwards as it was to the defenders suddenly becoming good at defending. If we want Bruce to tactically be a tad more expansive then you could be looking at the defence stats being more like those under RDM at the start of the season. I am hoping having a more solid option than Baker alongside the generally excellent Chester will let us be more expansive in midfield without the defence going to shit.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1132 on: July 03, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
Thought he came over well in the interview.

I hope he can help get us back to where we should be.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1133 on: July 03, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »

The 19 goals Kodjia scored and the 9 or 10 Adomah set up last season doesn't really bear your 'only committing people forward to set pieces' theory very well really.

I think you should read it again, "I think Bruce would be happy" doesn't mean I think that we did that. 

No, you're right, we didn't do that.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1134 on: July 03, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »

The erm and you know count was surprisingly low.

Very knowledgeable to be fair.

"Winning this league" - we won the league in South London? Not quite the same ring to it.

Thinking about him repeating that aim, winning the league, it has taken me aback a bit to hear a Villa player use those words in that order. Makes me feel this may just be a very good thing.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #1135 on: July 03, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
I don't like the man and am not thrilled that he's here but good luck to him. We need to go back up this season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1136 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
He might be a massive racist, but he's our massive racist now.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1137 on: July 03, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
Please bring this up to prove me wrong in May. Please.

It will all end in tears, recriminations and another 100 plus page thread.

On the plus side: I'd say Terry and Bruce will be long gone in 12 months.

Welcome, FKW.

How's that a plus side? It will mean we've fucked up again and have an extended stay in the lower leagues in store.

It might force us to finally ditch the short cut approach.  And I say that as someone who wanted Bruce last October.

We'll soon see, but the majority of the clubs who have gone up recently have had something approximating an ethos and a modern style of play. Playing boofball, murderball or anything else other than football just to get up -and then having to adopt a modern approach only then- isn't the way to go.

The likes of Southampton, Swansea and now Bournemouth have all been able to make the transition from Championship to top flight with relative ease. They didn't do that by recruiting 'name' footballers on the way down. Even that other basketcase club Newcastle didn't go that route last year.

I wouldn't want to be out of the top division for as long as Southampton were. Or Leeds, or Forest or the rest still are.   But we need to get our house in order. We make jokes about it, but the lack of the basics over the years -movement off the ball and so forth, is criminal.  Until we address that, signings like Terry, Whelan or whoever are as effective as sticky plasters on shattered limbs.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1138 on: July 03, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »
Luckiest ****** in football. Actually has a chance at the finest club in the world to repair some of his much sullied reputation

Offline Five Villa Tattoos

« Reply #1139 on: July 03, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »
I've always loved John Terry.

Anyone who claims I have previously referred to him as a "Dirty, cheating,racist,cockney wanker who's mum allegedly appears in gentlemans relaxation films and who's Dad allegedly deals happy powder and tablets" is a dirty liar. Anyone who also goes onto claim I once sang to him "John Terry we know what you are" is also a big fat fibber.

I love John Terry and I'm going to call him JT from now on.😳

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal