collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192262 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1020 on: January 13, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »

He might be able to do a job for now, but sooner or later (ideally sooner) Grealish has to take his place. 

Gill should on the 'get rid' list as ultimately he's not good enough.

Grealish has done absolutely nothing this season to be anywhere near the side. He may eventually get there but I think it will be at another club.

I'm not trying to argue that Grealish is better than Gill at the present.  What I'm saying is that Gill is limited and ultimately he isn't good enough. 

I can't see Grealish and Gill in the same team at the moment, so that means either/or.  OK, for now keep Gill in the team by all means, but as soon as relegation is (even more?) nigh on certain I'd replace him with Grealish in a bid to unlock his undoubted potential.  If he fucks it up then get rid of both. 

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1021 on: January 13, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
Watched gil closely last night and was impressed with his work ethic. I don't think his touch can be questioned. The think that I did notice though was nothing to do with gil really. The striking thing for me was that he had very few team mates to find that were in front of him. Most of the times the only options were inside or behind him. We just don't seem to create the space up front that we need to. 2 attacking full backs would make all the difference in the world to Giles game.imo.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1022 on: January 13, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
Get rid of Gil? I despair at these type of comments.

You don't agree, fair enough.  But why despair? 

He's not good enough and never will be for the reasons I've cited.  He lacks vision, touch and pace.  He's one of the (many) players who got better the more he didn't play.

Come back in a few months, years whenever and show me I'm wrong .....

He's not good enough and never will be for the reasons I've cited.  He lacks vision, touch and pace.  He's one of the (many) players who got better the more he didn't play.

May be not the quickest. But lacks touch and vision? Really? Those are 2 of his strongest points.

Yes, lacks touch.  The good players we've seen who didn't have great pace had an excellent first touch which allowed them to beat a man.

Over the years players like Robertson at Forest and Sherringham spring to mind.  Perhaps a little more prosaically think about Petrov and Barry?

As for vision, I can;t recall him ever making anything other than the obvious pass - usually across the pitch to a wide player as he cuts back inside.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1023 on: January 13, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »

May be not the quickest. But lacks touch and vision? Really? Those are 2 of his strongest points.

Yes, lacks touch.  The good players we've seen who didn't have great pace had an excellent first touch which allowed them to beat a man.

Over the years players like Robertson at Forest and Sherringham spring to mind.  Perhaps a little more prosaically think about Petrov and Barry?

As for vision, I can;t recall him ever making anything other than the obvious pass - usually across the pitch to a wide player as he cuts back inside.

I know what you mean Oldhill. Im not totally convinced. He may be limited by the lack of movemnt around him which is awful.

Rather have himmim the team, than not though, at the moment

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1024 on: January 13, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »

And the brilliant set up for Okore's header against Chelsea last season? And the clever set up for the Richards goal at Wycombe? Short memory.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1025 on: January 13, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
I don't think Gil is a wide player. I like him more playing in the hole behind the front players.

In the hole you say...

Another chance to post the greatest ever gif

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1026 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »

I don't think it's a great problem that he generally limits himself to picking out the obvious pass - I mean, not every chance that an Ozil or Silva creates is attributable to them spotting and executing some brilliant pass that nobody else sees, a lot is because of their sense of timing and sensible decision-making. The important thing is that Carles at least keeps his head up when he's gotten into a position and looks for whoever is available rather than panicking and blasting some aimless cross in a general direction.

The bigger problem is that the players on this team generally don't have much of an idea as to getting open in the box - and once that happens, I think he's the type who would rather keep possession and try again rather than forcing the issue.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1027 on: January 13, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
I do agree, but surely that's just a coaching issue that can be addressed.

Or a movement issue from others.

If there's no bugger moving ahead of him to open up a pass or create space for him to run into then it restricts his options somewhat.

This doesn't help him at all. There were a few occasions when Gil had the ball on the right edge of the box, looked up and there was simply nothing to hit.

Offline Boz

« Reply #1028 on: January 14, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
Everyone has their opinion, but for me, Gil is one of our more skilful players, but his benefits are reduced by the inability of other players finding space in front of him. He's probably a little lightweight against some of the Premiership defenders but as he's played more regularly, is coming to terms with these. In technical skills, IMO he's superior to Grealish, who seems a bit limited and is being found out by other teams after he emerged last season.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #1029 on: January 14, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »
If we somehow stay up then yes, move Gil on and get better midfielders in, but he will be an excellent player at Championship level and in our current predicament we haven't a hope of persuading anyone better to come in this month.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1030 on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »
I don't particularly rate Gill for all his technique and I very definately don't rate Grealish, whether he's 'one of our own' or not.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1031 on: January 14, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Gil doesn't release the ball quick enough. That might be down to the lack of movement from other players

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #1032 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »

He might be able to do a job for now, but sooner or later (ideally sooner) Grealish has to take his place. 

Gill should on the 'get rid' list as ultimately he's not good enough.

Grealish has done absolutely nothing this season to be anywhere near the side. He may eventually get there but I think it will be at another club.

I'm not trying to argue that Grealish is better than Gill at the present.  What I'm saying is that Gill is limited and ultimately he isn't good enough. 

I can't see Grealish and Gill in the same team at the moment, so that means either/or.  OK, for now keep Gill in the team by all means, but as soon as relegation is (even more?) nigh on certain I'd replace him with Grealish in a bid to unlock his undoubted potential.  If he fucks it up then get rid of both. 

You do know he only turned 23 in November right?

Offline KRS

« Reply #1033 on: January 14, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
Everyone has their opinion, but for me, Gil is one of our more skilful players, but his benefits are reduced by the inability of other players finding space in front of him. He's probably a little lightweight against some of the Premiership defenders but as he's played more regularly, is coming to terms with these. In technical skills, IMO he's superior to Grealish, who seems a bit limited and is being found out by other teams after he emerged last season.
This. Gil has skills but he was a cheap buy and always seen as a squad player...but now he's actually one of the best players at the club regardless of his failings. If we had more players with genuine natural ability like Gil, Ayew, Amavi and Jack then I doubt we'd be in this mess in the first place.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1034 on: January 14, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
I think Gil definitely has skill in abundance and some of his touches on the ball are great to watch.  I said it somewhere else, but my main concern is that he lacks the pace and dynamism to get away from players.  He beats players, sometimes effortlessly, but then hasn't got that burst to get away from them.   A number of times on Tuesday, there were opportunities to break, but we couldn't because Gil hadn't got the speed.  In contrast the likes of Zaha and Puncheon were able to transition defence into attack quickly with their pace. 

I was watching the Fantasy Football Club recently and someone (can't remember who) put Merson in their team and was talking about him.  He was saying that one of his real qualities was that he was able to move just as quick with the ball as he was without it.  For all his other faults, I see that quality with Grealish, for when he beats players he is able to get away from them.  There are other parts of his game (and life!) that need work on, but I think he might be the better option of the two in the future. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:37:20 PM by tomd2103 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal