collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 233061 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley
« Reply #1305 on: February 18, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
Ashley Westwood being a decent footballer is fake news. So fake, really. The fakest news. Believe me.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1306 on: February 18, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »

Super Garry Parker!

His goal away against Man Citeh that year was one of the goals of the season for me, yet it rarely gets mentioned.

Though he did have a fair bit of competition that year, in fairness.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1307 on: February 18, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

Westwood up there with Garry Parker? Ha ha!
If you honestly think that then you either never saw Parker in a Villa shirt or have been brainwashed. Honestly it's an insult to mention him in the same sentence.

I went to probably 75% of Parker's games for us. I didn't rate him, and that's the point. He was clearly a very good player and part of a side I couldn't get enough of seeing. But because I saw things in his game I didn't like, I had a skewed view of him. Ditto John Gregory as a player, and Ayew for that matter. It's clear there's a lot of people who are the same about Westwood, just multiplied several times over. Works the other way of course. I was very forgiving of Tony Daley's crosses.

I'd quit while I was miles behind if I was you.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1308 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
Oh and there's a video of Saint Ashley Nice Guy III spitting on an opposition player today doing the rounds.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #1309 on: February 18, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
i'm glad i was sat down when i heard the comparison of Garry Parker and Ashley Westwood.

Westwood was a neat passer, which in 9.25 times out of 10 went back or square.

Parker switched play, saw a forward pass, and boy, could he bag!

Absolutely no contest (IMO of course)

Nick

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1310 on: February 18, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

If you honestly think that then you either never saw Parker in a Villa shirt or have been brainwashed. Honestly it's an insult to mention him in the same sentence.

I went to probably 75% of Parker's games for us. I didn't rate him, and that's the point. He was clearly a very good player and part of a side I couldn't get enough of seeing. But because I saw things in his game I didn't like, I had a skewed view of him. Ditto John Gregory as a player, and Ayew for that matter. It's clear there's a lot of people who are the same about Westwood, just multiplied several times over. Works the other way of course. I was very forgiving of Tony Daley's crosses.

I think your point is somewhat lost because your view of Parker would be very much a minority one.  Whereas I think the view that Westwood was at best "meh" is very much a majority one.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1311 on: February 18, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
What I would say in defence of Simon is that outside of that purple patch in 1992/93, he didn't do a great deal either the season before or after (nice goal at home to Chelsea in 1991/92 aside).

But what a purple patch.  In contrast, Westwood delivered five years of hearing aid beige.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1312 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
I came away from Bramal Lane after Parker's brace to find my car on bricks. Did I care? Westwood made me come away from VP wishing I had cataracts.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1313 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
One thing Garry Parker could do that Westwood can't is kick a football. But when it comes to doing that stampy thing a yard away from a player, occasionally raising one knee as though attempting a tackle as said player comfortably strides away with the ball, Westwood is admittedly world class.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #1314 on: February 18, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Parker never really got back into the team after Ron signed Townsend, which was a shame

Offline wince

« Reply #1315 on: February 18, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
Think we all secretly love him as plenty of discussion of a now ex player going on. Wonder how long it will be until we admit we miss him....i reckon the same amount of time it takes to reach the edge of our solar system in the chuckle brothers peddle car

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1316 on: February 18, 2017, 07:01:36 PM »

Like you never do?

Offline supertom

« Reply #1317 on: February 18, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
They had the Burnley game on the radio today. I listened in and wondered if Westwood was playing. For a clear 20 minutes his name wasn't mentioned once. I was beginning to think he'd been rested. Then the first mention he got was slicing a shot near the corner flag.

Shit player.

Comparisons to Garry Parker are ludicrous. The babbling, frothy lipped nonsense of total lunacy.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1318 on: February 18, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »

Like you never do?

I haven't just compared Parker to Westwood.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1319 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
You mean Garry Parker the "very good player"?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal