collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 234056 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley
« Reply #1275 on: February 17, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

Westwood up there with Garry Parker? Ha ha!
If you honestly think that then you either never saw Parker in a Villa shirt or have been brainwashed. Honestly it's an insult to mention him in the same sentence.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1276 on: February 17, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

The only thing he has in common with Garry Parker is a lack of pace.

Parker was capable of some defence splitting passes and scored some cracking goals for us. He was a key player in the best team we had since 1982. Westwood was stand out shite in the most inept Villa side many of us will ever have the misfortune to witness.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1277 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
Yeah, I liked Gary Parker and Westwood has not contributed anything like he did for us.

That said, I am also of the view that Westwood is a reasonably decent player and do think in a better more balanced team he may do a very good job.  I wouldn't be at all surprised he and Dyche have the last laugh.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1278 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »

The only thing he has in common with Garry Parker is a lack of pace.

Parker was capable of some defence splitting passes and scored some cracking goals for us. He was a key player in the best team we had since 1982. Westwood was stand out shite in the most inept Villa side many of us will ever have the misfortune to witness.

Agreed.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1279 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
I do find it odd that of all the unprofessional and poorly behaved players, who have apparently no issue disrespecting the club, it's Westwood, who yes wasn't very good for us, that seems to be a lightening rod for the vitriol of some people. He wasn't good enough, but he never skipped off training or slagged off the club, I don't really have a big issue with him.

He was the mainstay of the worst Villa midfield I've ever seen. The fact that he never skipped training really doesn't make up for it.

That's about ability though, that doesn't mean he deserves personal abuse.

Online wince

« Reply #1280 on: February 18, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
As a player, he annoyed me as his lack of forward passes and bottle was poor. However as a person, he had passion and did try. He is also not an ego and a person who is simply a model pro who never did anything unexpected. My mates and me nicknamed him the hobbit. Good luck to him at Burnley and our scorn really deserves to be thrown at villa man lescott and Santa Richards. They are truly wasters as they had ability yet were lazy with it

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #1281 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the essay, but I know a shit footballer when I see one and Westwood falls into that category.

Really? I've seen little evidence in any of your thousands of posts that you know much about football at all, i know it's all the rage these days, but just making 'Trumpesque' statements that something is the case, doesn't make it so.

So you can spot a 'shit footballer' and a 'wanker' when you see one, i suppose you could test that theory by finding a mirror and reporting back...

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1282 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
Thanks for the essay, but I know a shit footballer when I see one and Westwood falls into that category.

Really? I've seen little evidence in any of your thousands of posts that you know much about football at all, i know it's all the rage these days, but just making 'Trumpesque' statements that something is the case, doesn't make it so.

So you can spot a 'shit footballer' and a 'wanker' when you see one, i suppose you could test that theory by finding a mirror and reporting back...

That's uncalled for. I don't care what Westwood is like as a person and I've never slated him at games as it is counter productive and he doesn't deserve it, but, he definitely is a shit footballer for the leagues he's been playing in. Not average, not tidy, not wrong time or team or role. He's utter shite.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1283 on: February 18, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
Just to add my two penneth, Westwood was utterly shite, and I don't really care if he was a nice chap or not. He was the poster boy for our descent into nothingness. A nothing player, at a failing, once proud club.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1284 on: February 18, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »

Get you!

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1285 on: February 18, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
Just to add my two penneth, Westwood was utterly shite, and I don't really care if he was a nice chap or not. He was the poster boy for our descent into nothingness. A nothing player, at a failing, once proud club.

Spot on. I couldn't give a shit if he was a "nice guy", he was absolutely abysmal as a player and I curse the day he ever turned up. In fact if we hadn't signed players as shit as he we may have still been in the PL right now. I remember well how many fans fell for the "Young and hungry" crap back when Lambert signed all those losers and you could see what was coming from a mile off.
What a rotten era for the Villa.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1286 on: February 18, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »

That's uncalled for. I don't care what Westwood is like as a person and I've never slated him at games as it is counter productive and he doesn't deserve it, but, he definitely is a shit footballer for the leagues he's been playing in. Not average, not tidy, not wrong time or team or role. He's utter shite.

But it's all irrelevant though because he's a lovely chap who's ever so nice!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1287 on: February 18, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »

Do you think you might be spending a bit more time on this subject than might be considered normal and rational?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1288 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »

Do you think you might be spending a bit more time on this subject than might be considered normal and rational?

There's 86 pages on here, Dave. It's not just me.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1289 on: February 18, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
No, but it's getting that way. I'd take a step back if I were you. Before you know it you'll have a wall full of pictures, an Ashley Westwood mask and be calling yourself his biggest fan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal