collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:25:59 PM]

VAR by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:24:17 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:25:59 PM]

Re: VAR by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:24:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

Re: VAR by PaulWinch again
[Today at 07:20:28 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Re: VAR by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:14:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 234086 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley
« Reply #1260 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »
Well if they need to find him he's up at Burnley playing in the Premiership, a division our club is currently having great difficulty in finding.

We may have still been there if we hadn't signed players as shit as Westwood.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1261 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:15 AM »
I do find it odd that of all the unprofessional and poorly behaved players, who have apparently no issue disrespecting the club, it's Westwood, who yes wasn't very good for us, that seems to be a lightening rod for the vitriol of some people. He wasn't good enough, but he never skipped off training or slagged off the club, I don't really have a big issue with him.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1262 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »
I do find it odd that of all the unprofessional and poorly behaved players, who have apparently no issue disrespecting the club, it's Westwood, who yes wasn't very good for us, that seems to be a lightening rod for the vitriol of some people. He wasn't good enough, but he never skipped off training or slagged off the club, I don't really have a big issue with him.

He was the mainstay of the worst Villa midfield I've ever seen. The fact that he never skipped training really doesn't make up for it.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #1263 on: February 17, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
Yeah. And we are doing much better since he left

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #1264 on: February 17, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »

Oh that's it! The reason we're shit is because we let Westwood go!
Eureka!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1265 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

Oh that's it! The reason we're shit is because we let Westwood go!
Eureka!

We'd better not let Hutton leave then.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1266 on: February 17, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
We bought 3 players to replace Westwood and we appear to be even worse.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #1267 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
I'm yet to be convinced that Lansbury is anything other than Westwood with a hairstyle, yet he seemed to be getting praise on the radio. It's amazing how much more positive people can see a player just because he's new.

There was a point on Tuesday where Lansbury had the ball passed back to him near the halfway line and he did a full turn and passed it back to Baker. I dread to think the abuse had Westwood done that.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1268 on: February 17, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
I'm yet to be convinced that Lansbury is anything other than Westwood with a hairstyle, yet he seemed to be getting praise on the radio. It's amazing how much more positive people can see a player just because he's new.

There was a point on Tuesday where Lansbury had the ball passed back to him near the halfway line and he did a full turn and passed it back to Baker. I dread to think the abuse had Westwood done that.

Sorry but that's massively wide of the mark. Of the January buys Lansbury is the only one vaguely looking like justifying why we bought him so far. His long range passing is a world ahead of anything Westwood will ever be capable of and he can actually put a tackle in, something I never saw Westwood do (successfully) in the four years or so we had him.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1269 on: February 17, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #1270 on: February 17, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »
If this thread ever gets locked or looks like falling from the top of the board, can I make a plea for it to be a sticky. Considering Westwood is a jobbing footballer, seemingly nice bloke, unspectacular and has a bland mediated persona, the emotion he attracts is astonishing. It's also a really good example of how blind hope can turn to hyperbolic bile.

Disclaimer: I like him. Model pro, decent footballer (you simply don't get a career in the pro ranks without being one), clearly cares about his job but sadly wasn't right for us and the job we needed. I reckon the only difference between him and Garry Parker is the club they found themselves in. In the blame list for our current position, he doesn't make my top 100.

agreed 100%

Offline luke95

« Reply #1271 on: February 17, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
Well if they need to find him he's up at Burnley playing in the Premiership, a division our club is currently having great difficulty in finding.

We may have still been there if we hadn't signed a full squad of players as shit as Westwood.

Better

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #1272 on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »
We bought 3 players to replace Westwood and we appear to be even worse.

was my point

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1273 on: February 17, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »

Disagree.  Parker was a better player than Westwood. 

That said, I've always maintained that Westwood can only really play one specific role and that is the defensive midfielder in a three man midfield.  He is lost in any other position.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1274 on: February 17, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »

Disagree.  Parker was a better player than Westwood. 

That said, I've always maintained that Westwood can only really play one specific role and that is the defensive midfielder in a three man midfield.  He is lost in any other position.

Parker had a decent shot too

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal