collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 94021 times)

Offline Villanation

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
One last amble down the rogues gallery of violent tackles.   Worst and most cold blooded act of premeditated brutality was of course Ali Brown on Alex Cropley.

The most high velocity shudderingly awesome tackle was in the early 60s when Smith the Tottenham centre forward launched himself feet first like a human cannonball at Nigel Sims on the Villa goal line.   The impact made the pigeons fly out of the roof of the Trinity Stand.

It took them fully five minutes to revive Smith and another five to get him to his feet and totter to the tunnel.   To make matters worse for Smith's kamikaze assault Nigel "fell" on him all twenty stone in a wrestling type slam.

Legend has it that the groundsman had to dig Smith out of the turf before they could administer the smelling salts.   God, you young lads don't know what you missed.

;D Yep in those day's it wasn't just football it was all out war....

Offline supertom

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
Hutton is bloody woeful and has been very lucky to have not got a 2-3 (maybe more) reds since he signed for us. His tackling at times is frightening. At times frighteningly inept, and in others, almost with Roy Keanesque frenzy (without any ability to go with it).

Luke Young, who lets face it, is an average player, is sorely missed. At least you could count on him to give you a 7/10 most games.

But in anycase, Hutton is just one part of a whole host of problems we currently have. After a safe start, our backline is beginning to show signs of laziness and inconsistency once more. Dunne's not been at the races of late, and Collins remains inconsistent.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
Hutton is bloody woeful and has been very lucky to have not got a 2-3 (maybe more) reds since he signed for us. His tackling at times is frightening. At times frighteningly inept, and in others, almost with Roy Keanesque frenzy (without any ability to go with it).

Luke Young, who lets face it, is an average player, is sorely missed. At least you could count on him to give you a 7/10 most games.

But in anycase, Hutton is just one part of a whole host of problems we currently have. After a safe start, our backline is beginning to show signs of laziness and inconsistency once more. Dunne's not been at the races of late, and Collins remains inconsistent.

For me Hutton looks better going forward than he is actually a defender, not as good as Kyle Walker, hasn't the pace, but he's a heads down, feet first merchant.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
To be fair i don't think he's a dirty player, just got a bit over-excited - he certainly seemed a bit hyped to me. And i like hard tackles as much as the next man - i actually think tackles from behind, for example, if performed correctly were every bit as skillfull as any flick or fient, but you can't do them, mainly because most defenders nowadays are so hopeless at them. We can argue about whether it was a foul, a sending off or just a hard tackle but i think most people would agree on balance that it he does many more of them he's not gonna get the benefit of the doubt too often. Saturday's ref didn't send him off but then we already know he's completely clueless

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »
Anybody remember Tommy Smith, Liverpool, the commentator used to say after one of his tackles, "this man wasn't born he was quarried" .

I just spotted this one: 'Tommy doesn't tackle opponents,' quipped Bill Shankly, 'so much as break them down for resale as scrap.' Born and bred within a mile of Anfield, he once handed Jimmy Greaves a hospital menu before a game.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
aye, but i'm pretty sure tommy smith has trouble walking now and has plastic knees which probably explains the rule changes :0)

Offline Villanation

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »
Anybody remember Tommy Smith, Liverpool, the commentator used to say after one of his tackles, "this man wasn't born he was quarried" .

I just spotted this one: 'Tommy doesn't tackle opponents,' quipped Bill Shankly, 'so much as break them down for resale as scrap.' Born and bred within a mile of Anfield, he once handed Jimmy Greaves a hospital menu before a game.

Brilliant, mind you i would imagine if you where a forward back then just looking at Tommy Smith was enough to scare the kids. hardly a pin up.

Offline Villanation

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
Good read...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-tommy-smith--the-iron-man-who-became-the-bionic-man-1122181.html

It is, I liked this bit.

'I don't think Houllier's picking the right team. Playing Carragher, a good midfield player, at centre-back? '

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »
Anyone remember Neale Cooper? He only played a few times but he liked a tackle, I seem to remember him flattening a young Stuart Pearce in a game against Forest.

One good thing about Hutton is that, with Heskey in the twilight of his mediocrity, we are addressing the need for some younger blood in the scapegoat department.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:38:48 AM by PeterWithe »

Offline eastie

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Anyone remember Neale Cooper? He only played a few times but he liked a tackle, I seem to remember him flattening a young Stuart Pearce in a game against Forest.

One good thing about Hutton is that, with Heskey in the twilight of his mediocrity, we are addressing the need for some younger blood in the scapegoat department.

Yes i remember cooper , pity injuries wrecked his time with us , i cant really recall us having a top quality hardman in midfield since steve mcmahon in all honesty and that was over 25 yrs ago.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
I can not believe people are actually trying to justify that tackle. I'm as much a fan of 'old school' football as anybody on here but there is a big difference between 'hard' and downright bloody dangerous. He could easily have broken both of Longs legs and, in agreement with the OP, he is a disgrace to our club.

He is also shit.
Well said sir.  I too despair at the tendency to remove all physical contact from the game, with players falling over at the merest touch,  every shoulder to shoulder coming together resulting in a free kick rather than a tussle for the ball  and all this "there was contact" bollocks that so-called commentators like to vomit out whenever there is a penalty appeal.  We can all wax lyrical about the good old days when players would routinely have their heads cut off and it was all part of the fun, but I'm old enough to remember the likes of Hunter, Smith and Harris, and to know that I neither respected or revered them because they were thugs, pure and simple, and I'm glad their ilk has been eradicated from the game.  We had some hard players - George Curtis for example - but I don't recall Villa players ever going out to deliberately injure opponents (although I'm still a little unsure about that Eamon Deacy challenge that sent someone's nuts into outer space one evening down at VP circa 1981-82).  I'm all for a good hard but fair tackle, but Hutton launched himself at Long in a very dangerous fashion, no two ways about it.  That had nothing to do with heart and spirit and everything to do with vindictiveness and stupidity.  I support the Villa but I won't support what I see as thuggery in a Villa shirt.  Especially when they are also piss poor footballers.   

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »
If it had been thuggery he would have made sure he connected and snapped the whiney little fucker in two. It was aggressive and aimed to intimidate not damage the player. I hope he does the same to Downing when we play Liverpool.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

I was at Celtic Park when we played the friendly against them. When Cooper's name was read out it was roundly booed.
I knew that he had played for Aberdeen but why so much venom? I was told that he was the dirtiest player in Scotland. He became my favourite player from that moment but never really got to mix it due to niggling injuries.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
It was a reckless challenge, but not a dirty one. There is a difference.

If you want to see a real dirty challenge with intent to injure, go on youtube and watch Roy Keane's tackle on Haaland.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal