collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 93979 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
It's not just Saturdays challenge,he over commits himself,doesn't stay on his feet,gets caught out of position. It's early days in his Villa career so hopefully he'll improve,I always thought he was a weak link at Spurs though.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
Edit: wrong thread.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Tackling is going out of the game and I for one would love to see it brought back 10 or 15 years ago we would see a decent tackle now the physicality is almost gone from the game I dont think Hutton went out to hurt Long he just went in hard to win the ball.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
Hutton reminds me of the sort of  player that should be playing for Small Heath .

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
The other thing to look at is the reaction of the players around the incident.  Very few took issue with it.  Compare and contrast to Drogba's red card yesterday and the reaction of the players to that and you can see the difference.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
Tackling is going out of the game and I for one would love to see it brought back 10 or 15 years ago we would see a decent tackle now the physicality is almost gone from the game I dont think Hutton went out to hurt Long he just went in hard to win the ball.

Yep,the Rodwell tackle the other week was a sign of how things of gone now,virtually no contact allowed,it'll be like basketball in a few years time.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
he's crap, along with N'zogbia the pair of them absolute rubbish

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
I can not believe people are actually trying to justify that tackle. I'm as much a fan of 'old school' football as anybody on here but there is a big difference between 'hard' and downright bloody dangerous. He could easily have broken both of Longs legs and, in agreement with the OP, he is a disgrace to our club.

He is also shit.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »
Give me a full back that takes the ball and the player and puts them both in row z if required.
And if both our full backs take the same view then we'll be playing most games with nine men.

He looks like he's auditioning for Street Fighter 2. It's awful.

Pictures can be deceiving.  I wasn't at the game but have just viewed video replays of the tackle on another website, which shows the tackle from various angles (not sure if I'm allowed to mention which website).  From the first few angles the tackle looks dangerous - as if Hutton throws his body weight into a straight-legged challenge, just as your still frame does.  However, in the final angle shown in the footage, I got quite a different impression.  It looks more like Hutton sweeps the ball away with his left leg which then collides with Long. 

I'm not saying it was a great tackle, just that one still image isn't necessarily proof of guilt on Hutton's part.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
I am in the school of thought which says Hodgson bigged the whole tackle out of proportion as a diversionary tactic to the monstrously unfair dismissal of Herd.   All the media bought into it now we are buying into in droves.   Hutton is a Villa player.   On present form not a very good one but a Villa player nevertheless.

Those of us who use these pages with intelligence and sincerity have to decide whether we are going to slag off our team for showing no fighting spirit, no heart, no commitment or whether we are going to slag them off when they do show signs fighting spirit and make mistakes.   We can't have it both ways.

I have to take particular care not to dwell on the old days because I know how boring old blokes are but when you consider that the man with the Bovril tank on his back was not allowed within four or five yards of the field of play when we played Blackpool because everybody knew that was where Stanley Matthews was going.   Out of courtesy to such a magnificent player he had to be afforded a soft landing.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »

Hes not our worst player by a long way.He cost £2m , and that looks about right for me.

We missed his runs down the line when he went off on Sat.Hes not as bad as some on here are suggesting.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »
.He cost £2m , and that looks about right for me.

The bad news is he cost 4m not 2

Offline Villanation

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
Not sure about getting contact back into the game in terms of hard tackling, I remember blokes like Norman Hunter, Ron Harris and Terry Paine of Southampton, when these blokes went in they didn't just break bones they amputated the leg, and had absolutely no conscience about doing it, would do the same thing again to another player 5mins later, I watched a game where Terry Paine tackled broke the players leg and when one of the players came in to have a go at Paine smacked him right in the face, and still stayed on the pitch.

Anybody remember the Norman Hunter and Franny Lee spat................those where the days

Anybody remember Tommy Smith, Liverpool, the commentator used to say after one of his tackles, "this man wasn't born he was quarried" .

I digress, the one thing that is of a concern is the amount of times already your are seeing players giving verbal to fans after incidents, I've seen 4 players this season at this, this also happened years ago and it was the kind of thing that caused a lot of violence at matches Shane Long was giving verbal to Villa fans from the sideline and last week it was Balotelli.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
I have to take particular care not to dwell on the old days because I know how boring old blokes are but when you consider that the man with the Bovril tank on his back was not allowed within four or five yards of the field of play when we played Blackpool because everybody knew that was where Stanley Matthews was going.   Out of courtesy to such a magnificent player he had to be afforded a soft landing.

I like that.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
One last amble down the rogues gallery of violent tackles.   Worst and most cold blooded act of premeditated brutality was of course Ali Brown on Alex Cropley.

The most high velocity shudderingly awesome tackle was in the early 60s when Smith the Tottenham centre forward launched himself feet first like a human cannonball at Nigel Sims on the Villa goal line.   The impact made the pigeons fly out of the roof of the Trinity Stand.

It took them fully five minutes to revive Smith and another five to get him to his feet and totter to the tunnel.   To make matters worse for Smith's kamikaze assault Nigel "fell" on him all twenty stone in a wrestling type slam.

Legend has it that the groundsman had to dig Smith out of the turf before they could administer the smelling salts.   God, you young lads don't know what you missed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal