collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 93965 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Poor challenge and lucky to stay on the pitch , i cant help feeling qpr have signed a far better player in luke young than we have signed in hutton for almost double the price.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Sure it's about interpretation and there is a human element.  But as the saying goes, to err is human.  If we remove the claret and blue goggle effect, I wonder how many independent reporters, observers and pundits have come out and said they thought the ref judged that one correctly.  I can't say I've seen or heard any yet.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
It was a hard, aggressive tackle and doesn't warrant the attention it is being given. Hodgson used it as an excuse to draw attention away from his player cheating for the penalty and we've bought into it.

I don't think Hutton has been great for us, but I think the game has gone soft in that it has effectively outlawed hard tackling.  Stuart Pearce used to do this sort of thing every week.  To my mind it is a part of the game that bought excitement and adrenalin on and off the pitch. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »
Double post.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
It was a hard, aggressive tackle and doesn't warrant the attention it is being given. Hodgson used it as an excuse to draw attention away from his player cheating for the penalty and we've bought into it.

I don't think Hutton has been great for us, but I think the game has gone soft in that it has effectively outlawed hard tackling.  Stuart Pearce used to do this sort of thing every week.  To my mind it is a part of the game that bought excitement and adrenalin on and off the pitch. 

I agree.

The problem is, the football authorities don't, and haven't for a fair while, and we've known this for a long time, as has Hutton.

Still, it was a dodgy challenge, lots of players are guilty of that. It's Hutton's prolonged period of shitness that worries me more.

Offline Boz

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Hutton's a poor replacement for either Young or Walker.

Harry once again has shown his ability to get a player out on loan and gain a massive improvement then take him back as an international player and sell a crap player to the club who improved the loan player.

Our managers always seem to end up with the poor end of a deal most of the time.

Hutton is not a Premiership class player, and is likely to accumulate a lot of yellows or reds in a season from what I've seen of him so far.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
Give me a full back that takes the ball and the player and puts them both in row z if required.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
Give me a full back that takes the ball and the player and puts them both in row z if required.
And if both our full backs take the same view then we'll be playing most games with nine men.

He looks like he's auditioning for Street Fighter 2. It's awful.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
Ouch!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
Hutton's been really poor, Luke Young was much better.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
And if both our full backs take the same view then we'll be playing most games with nine men.

Never played in the Birmingham works league then Dave?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Never played in the Birmingham works league then Dave?
Nope and although it wouldn't surprise me if Hutton did before too long, I'd like to think we're striving for a slightly higher calibre of player.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
Ouch!

That angle is deceptive, his studs did not go in to Long's shin.

However, as a general point we need more "ouch".

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I'd prefer a right back who's competent in defence like Luke Young was and is decent going forward like Walker was. I thought Hutton had built his game as an attacking full back, been really disappointed by him going forward so far.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
Sure it's about interpretation and there is a human element.  But as the saying goes, to err is human.  If we remove the claret and blue goggle effect, I wonder how many independent reporters, observers and pundits have come out and said they thought the ref judged that one correctly.  I can't say I've seen or heard any yet.
MOTD commentator said, and I quote, "Hutton goes in strongly. I don't think there was anything wrong with the tackle but it's hurt Shane Long. A 50-50 ball both players were going in as committed as one another."
Then on seeing it again he says; "some referees might have seen it differently" and then points out that refs do not have the benefit of a review. This is how I saw it 'live', sitting in the DE stand right behind. looked a strong challenge but a ball-winning one. I've seen worse go unpunished. Given the ref didn't award anything, he obviously thought it was fair, but had he seen it again he may have revised this. But yellow card at worst I would have thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal