collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch  (Read 230638 times)

Offline danno

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch
« Reply #570 on: February 01, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »
Milner was having to listen to Klopp go on to him when he was subbed v West Ham yesterday.
Didn't look totally pleased , perplexed if you will, but wasn't mouthing back... Then in next instance Liverpool go and score , assisted by Jones who had come on for Milner . James goes and gives Klopp a big hug and all smiles. To me the best thing about Liverpool winning the league last season was Milner being the winner. How he keeps going at top level is credit to longevity of a professional footballer performing at highest level.

Milner was great but this is a season too far now, he's miles off the pace and it's painful to watch.

Do you think he's off the Liverpool/Man City pace, or more generally?  What I mean is that there's a big difference in being not good enough for them and not good enough for the premier league. 

he hasn't got the legs for the top flight any more, the last few times I've seen him he looks slow but more importantly looks like he's struggling to get through games. This is no slight on him, he's 35 and his game was based on his energy levels that just aren't there any more. He might be ok in one of the handful of teams in the league where pressing in midfield isn't a requirement but there's not many of them.

Thirty five is positively ancient for a central midfielder, doubly so if it's in a team built on high energy pressing. I have been a bit surprised to see him named in Liverpools starting eleven. I thought he was destined for 20 minute cameos and cup games this year.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2021, 07:35:37 PM »
Milner was having to listen to Klopp go on to him when he was subbed v West Ham yesterday.
Didn't look totally pleased , perplexed if you will, but wasn't mouthing back... Then in next instance Liverpool go and score , assisted by Jones who had come on for Milner . James goes and gives Klopp a big hug and all smiles. To me the best thing about Liverpool winning the league last season was Milner being the winner. How he keeps going at top level is credit to longevity of a professional footballer performing at highest level.

Milner was great but this is a season too far now, he's miles off the pace and it's painful to watch.

Do you think he's off the Liverpool/Man City pace, or more generally?  What I mean is that there's a big difference in being not good enough for them and not good enough for the premier league. 

he hasn't got the legs for the top flight any more, the last few times I've seen him he looks slow but more importantly looks like he's struggling to get through games. This is no slight on him, he's 35 and his game was based on his energy levels that just aren't there any more. He might be ok in one of the handful of teams in the league where pressing in midfield isn't a requirement but there's not many of them.

Back to Noocassil lad, you'll fit in well there.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »

Back to Noocassil lad, you'll fit in well there.

They'd probably be th ebest fit for now if he wants to go for another year or 2 after this.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #573 on: February 16, 2021, 03:16:16 PM »
Harry McKirdy played for Leicester u23's the other day,

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #574 on: February 16, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »
A  prime example of a superb footballer who lingered on a couple of seasons too long Gareth Barry

I think he quit at the right time.  He was never blessed with pace but he still had plenty to offer Albion in terms of experience, passing and reading of the game.  I don't recall many Albion fans moaning about him and they love a good moan.

Online eamonn

« Reply #575 on: February 16, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Harry McKirdy played for Leicester u23's the other day,

Just watch the Hurdy Gurdy go.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #576 on: February 16, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »
A  prime example of a superb footballer who lingered on a couple of seasons too long Gareth Barry

I think he quit at the right time.  He was never blessed with pace but he still had plenty to offer Albion in terms of experience, passing and reading of the game.  I don't recall many Albion fans moaning about him and they love a good moan.

How do Everton fans remember him? I thought they got a good deal there, but his time with them went by in a flash.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #577 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
One that seems to have passed under the radar was Dan Crowley being loaned to Hull. Every time his career goes further downhill I'm reminded of when he went to Arsenal and someone on here got very upset that we didn't wish him every success.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2021, 08:40:30 PM »
Gana playing for PSG against Barcelona.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »

Thirty five is positively ancient for a central midfielder, doubly so if it's in a team built on high energy pressing. I have been a bit surprised to see him named in Liverpools starting eleven. I thought he was destined for 20 minute cameos and cup games this year.

Important to remember that he's been playing in the PL since was 16. That's a long time.

Online eamonn

« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »
Gana playing for PSG against Barcelona.

- Gana Gueye?
- The very one.

Offline steamer

« Reply #581 on: February 18, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »
I think Everton fans appreciate good footballers
My Everton mate was always complimentary about Barry, and Gana, but gets defensive and pissed off when I ask him why the snake is not in their starting line up.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #582 on: February 18, 2021, 09:24:28 PM »
De Laet playing for Antwerp v Rangers. In fact, he’s just conceded a penalty.

Offline Rory

« Reply #583 on: February 18, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
I think Everton fans appreciate good footballers
My Everton mate was always complimentary about Barry, and Gana, but gets defensive and pissed off when I ask him why the snake is not in their starting line up.

I completely forgot Delph existed. As somebody said earlier, we have had so many forgettable players over the past decade.

Online eamonn

« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
Surely he was one of the more unforgettable or rather less forgettable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal