collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:14:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:09:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:06:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 02:03:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW  (Read 53160 times)

Offline Bosco81

Re: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
In hindsight perhaps we didn't have too much to moan about last season so Carlos at right back was the main debate.

We've got a bit more to worry about this season but at least we're not short of scapegoats.

So MON knew best.

It certainly wasn't the reason why we "only" finished 6th and our Wembley appearances ended in defeat.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
He makes a lot of important runs - Luke Young - and overlaps well creating a lot of space for Albrighton. Its work Cuellar couldn't do. As for defending, yes Cuellar is better but not as a right-back as he tends to get turned too easy by a tricky winger and goes to groundtoo easily also. Luke Young is not playing well at the moment but he is a far superior right-back. Cuellar is the better defender though. But that's like me saying Terry is a better defender than Ashley Cole.
Comparing Terry to Cole is no worse than comparing Young to Cole.

Luke is a decent premiership full back whether Lichaj is going to be a long term improvement, I'd certainly like to see him given a run to find out, Lichaj does knock a decent ball in, although I hope we don't rely on his long throw too much.

Offline eastie

« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
I am happy to see lichaj given a run at right back , but would rather luke at left back than warnock-it is warnock who concerns me greatly with his rash tackling, poor positioning and general carelessness throughout his game!

Totally agree luke is a far better right back than carlos but now in his best position I hope carlos will make the centre back role his own.

I do nit think guzan is anywhere near good enough to replace friedal so therefore we probably need to bring in 2 keepers- shay given and kieran Westwood please! I liked the look of clyne at full back for palace last year and he would be a decent shout.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
In hindsight perhaps we didn't have too much to moan about last season so Carlos at right back was the main debate.

We've got a bit more to worry about this season but at least we're not short of scapegoats.

So MON knew best.

Of course he did and he only left because Randy sacked him.

Right ?

Offline sfx412

« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
Comparing our defence this year when Dunne is overweight and out of form, when Friedel is far from his best along with Collins and Warnock, when the midfield in front of them is mainly inexperienced kids, and Young is getting his first serious run out in seasons, is daft.
Add in the confusion caused by O'Neill's disgracefully late exit, the delay in finding an alternative, giving us 3 'managers' since the pre season started, the continual changes to personal due to injuries, no decent striker to score goals and take the load off the defence and it becomes farcical.

Putting Cuellar with Collins and Lichja alongside them with Warnoock, plus scoring 2 goals against a side with no striker, as he was injured helped tremendously. Illness and injury aside Ged might be able to play the same crew again and hopefully it will do just as well.
Come January when he buys his new keeper, and increases the quality and experience in midfield, plus the return of Coker and Petrov as options, might make it even more interesting.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
Agree Lichaj did well against a tricky opponent in Thomas.
That long throw could be of use too if we ever choose to go route 1

Offline sfx412

« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
Agree Lichaj did well against a tricky opponent in Thomas.
That long throw could be of use too if we ever choose to go route 1

Its of use even if we do not.
I don't think anyone is daft enough to suggest it becomes our only attacking strategy, but its an option we don't have without him as the other players showed when they totally ruined every one he took

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12:27 PM »
Because they're all used to standing about when Warnock takes his.
This would have been on the Top 3 things I'd have looked at...we put the opposition under enough presure to get a throw and then just chuck it back to them.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
Because they're all used to standing about when Warnock takes his.
This would have been on the Top 3 things I'd have looked at...we put the opposition under enough presure to get a throw and then just chuck it back to them.

it is a manifestation of our problem with movement off the ball, which is a problem we've had for, oooh, at least 15 years now.

Watch us at any throw in, even. Absolutely nobody moves or makes space to receive the ball.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »
retaining the ball from throw ins was a huge problem under MON, i think we have actually improved on this aspect now, but you will only get good movement off the ball when you have players that are technacly able to pass and recieve the ball on the move and we dont have many that can do both maybe Ireland and Bannan

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:24 AM »
If these reports are true, it would appear the reason Dunne was dropped was not due to playing poorly but for talking out of turn.

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
While I believe Dunne has been the weakest link lately I fear if he did say those things he's unfortunately right. It's not the right way to go on war with management team, but I give him a thumb up for having the courage to say that.

Do you mean if he said those things Houlliers training is worse than Mons, and by worse I mean more old fashioned ?

Not sure about the fashion of the training (although I bet at least 60% of the injuries are dew to unmeasured training), but I was referring to "and that their tactics were "desperate"". The football on display since Gerrard took over FOR MY LIKING is too dull, too boring and too clueless.

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »
Clark, Cuellar and Davies have barely featured at centre half over the last 18 months, so lets see what they can do between now and the end of the season before shelling out on a centre back. 
As long as I know Davies is definitely leaving next month.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal