collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:43:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:36:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:33:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nick harper
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:30:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 05:29:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:28:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW  (Read 53163 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Dunne was superb last season, good few seem to have forgotten that. His performances last season were better than any central defender at Villa Park since Paul McGrath. Yes better than Southgate, Alpay (who was class for a year), Mellberg, Laursen etc A bit unlucky to lose out to Collins who imo has been worse than him this season. Hopefully the stint on the bench will have given him a good kick up the arse, the conditioning he came back from pre season with was unacceptable, knee problem or not.

Yes it is the NOTW but probably a hint of truth in it. Rows are part and parcel of the game. I look forward to him getting back into the side and proving his many doubters on here wrong.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
Dunne was superb last season, good few seem to have forgotten that. His performances last season were better than any central defender at Villa Park since Paul McGrath. Yes better than Southgate, Alpay (who was class for a year), Mellberg, Laursen etc A bit unlucky to lose out to Collins who imo has been worse than him this season. Hopefully the stint on the bench will have given him a good kick up the arse, the conditioning he came back from pre season with was unacceptable, knee problem or not.

Yes it is the NOTW but probably a hint of truth in it. Rows are part and parcel of the game. I look forward to him getting back into the side and proving his many doubters on here wrong.

Dunne was good last year, but not in the class you've put him in there. And in the case of Southgate, Mellberg and Ehiogu (you missed him) they were quality over much longer periods.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »

Can't agree with that. I was never a big Mellberg fan, but he pisses all over Dunne, and the latter isn't fit to lace Laursen's boots. Southgate was better than the lot of them put together.

Offline derek.anon

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
if it ever becomes player vs managr, for the good of the club the manager has to win

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
Check our goals conceded column last year as opposed to any other season in the last 10 years and get back to me. Mellberg was pretty ordinary. Laursen was superb in the air but couldnt turn and spent far too much time on the ground. Ugo was a solid defender for us, Southgate a classier player but Id argue Dunne last season was more effective than any of them and the stats back it up.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
Wasn't it Dunne who was moaning at the training methods of Bibbs and Cones last year?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
Maybe Man City is good at spotting bad apples now. Richard Dunne need a good kick in the backside and a diet. He is capable player who would do the job but he doesn't look after himself or sort himself out. If Richard is fit and in shape we would be in top 6

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

He was very good last season, that's for sure, although hardly perfect and definitely not in the same class as some of the players you've named there.
Also, being good last season is no good to us now! He looks like he's given up, to be honest. His weight and performances this season have been awful, really terrible.

It's pure speculation on my part, but I suspect he was very much an MON man, and with him gone, so has Dunne's motivation.

Offline RunRickyRun

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
Houllier lost the support of fans last Monday

Strange. I don't remember being asked.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:36:45 PM by RunRickyRun »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
Check our goals conceded column last year as opposed to any other season in the last 10 years and get back to me. Mellberg was pretty ordinary. Laursen was superb in the air but couldnt turn and spent far too much time on the ground. Ugo was a solid defender for us, Southgate a classier player but Id argue Dunne last season was more effective than any of them and the stats back it up.

The stats certainly don't back up the fact that Dunne was better than Southgate or Ehiogu.  Both played a large part in our most successful team in Premier League history under Brian Little in the mid 90s.  Both players were much better than Dunne, over a much longer period of time.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »
I think we all calm down about GH now

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Wasn't it Dunne who was moaning at the training methods of Bibbs and Cones last year?

From the look of him, any sort of training whatsoever is anathema to him.  It interrupts his pastie eating time.

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »
While I believe Dunne has been the weakest link lately I fear if he did say those things he's unfortunately right. It's not the right way to go on war with management team, but I give him a thumb up for having the courage to say that.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
While I believe Dunne has been the weakest link lately I fear if he did say those things he's unfortunately right. It's not the right way to go on war with management team, but I give him a thumb up for having the courage to say that.

Do you mean if he said those things Houlliers training is worse than Mons, and by worse I mean more old fashioned ?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
If they had a bust up i don't believe it was anything like the NOTW are making out, simply because he was on the bench. Whatever the rights or wrongs on what he was supposed to have said, no manager could keep Dunne in the squad after slagging off his methods and staff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal