collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW  (Read 53181 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Dunne in bust up with Houllier & McAllister on Friday - NOTW
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Why does Luke Young escape criticism? He's always out of position, rarely tackles and his passing is poor. Could it be because so many spent all last season saying he should be in the side that they can't bring themselves to admit that he's just not very good.
Oh come on Chris, he's not "always out of position" and he certainly hasn't been as bad as you make out. Don't turn this into a Carlos vs Luke Young debate. I defended Carlos at right back last season but Young gives us something extra, even if he's not always on top form.

What does he give us extra? He's not a good attacking full back and he's a worse defender than Carlos.

If he's playing badly this year, he's in good company, because the entire defence has, and I agree with you, he shouldn't get off being mentioned in the roll of shame.

He's a better right back than Carlos, in my opinion, but I know we're never ever going to agree on this

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
What does he give us extra? He's not a good attacking full back and he's a worse defender than Carlos.

Well, there was the winner against Everton.

But being serious, I've always thought of Young as an 'OK' player.  We probably had too high an opinion of him after being so long without a proper RB, but I personally think he's lucky a club as big as us came in for him.  His performances this season need to be tempered with the knowledge of him playing in a poor defence with a weak midfield infront of him.  He's not good enough to be able to compensate for that, but once we regain some solidity we'll be focusing our attentions to other areas that need improving more.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
In Luke's favour, he cannot be criticised for not giving 100% each game and if there's a 50/50 ball he rarely shirks a challenge

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
If you watch games back it is actually surprising just how much Petrov clears out of our box from set pieces. Just a thought.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
In hindsight perhaps we didn't have too much to moan about last season so Carlos at right back was the main debate.

We've got a bit more to worry about this season but at least we're not short of scapegoats.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
In Luke's favour, he cannot be criticised for not giving 100% each game and if there's a 50/50 ball he rarely shirks a challenge
And Carlos doesn't?
Anyway it's a pointless agrument today as after Saturday I think Eric will be in the team for the Wigan game. Luke Young will have to sit it out on the bench and Carlos will play in his preferred position in the middle.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »
And Carlos doesn't?
Anyway it's a pointless agrument today as after Saturday I think Eric will be in the team for the Wigan game. Luke Young will have to sit it out on the bench and Carlos will play in his preferred position in the middle.

I think so, too.

Did very well on Saturday.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »
Why does Luke Young escape criticism? He's always out of position, rarely tackles and his passing is poor. Could it be because so many spent all last season saying he should be in the side that they can't bring themselves to admit that he's just not very good.
Oh come on Chris, he's not "always out of position" and he certainly hasn't been as bad as you make out. Don't turn this into a Carlos vs Luke Young debate. I defended Carlos at right back last season but Young gives us something extra, even if he's not always on top form.

At the risk of joining in the debate I like Carlos but he cant pass to save his life so thats one thing Luke is better at

Very slightly, Luke's passing is nothing to write home about the majority of which are inside to one of the centre backs. Carlos is a better defender (imo) so having given up that I'd want to see a much stronger contibution in other areas of the game and I just don't think we get that from Luke.

Of course it might be temporary and when the defence returns to form so will he but we saw more from Lichaj on Saturday than we've had from Young in the past 2 months.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
And Carlos doesn't?

Maybe, or maybe we'll see Young at LB and Warnock dropped?  Either way I agree that Lichaj should and will start against Wigan.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
Lichaj Cuellar Clark Warnock v Wigan please.

Warnock was better 2nd half, hopefully he'll improve.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
In hindsight perhaps we didn't have too much to moan about last season so Carlos at right back was the main debate.

We've got a bit more to worry about this season but at least we're not short of scapegoats.

So MON knew best.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
Collins was a man mountain with Cuellar last time out. There is not a chance he should be dropped.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Has Luke Young been outstanding this season?

No.  But he's be less shit than those alongside him so he looks almost good in comparison.
He's a decent player and of all the positions we need to look at to improve in the short-term, RB isn't one of them. If we're ever in a position again to push for top 4, we could probably do with better. But that seems like a million miles away at present.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »

So MON knew best.
He certainly knew how to get the defence organised and keeping clean sheets. Playing ten across the back did have it's flaws though.

Offline peter w

« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
He makes a lot of important runs - Luke Young - and overlaps well creating a lot of space for Albrighton. Its work Cuellar couldn't do. As for defending, yes Cuellar is better but not as a right-back as he tends to get turned too easy by a tricky winger and goes to groundtoo easily also. Luke Young is not playing well at the moment but he is a far superior right-back. Cuellar is the better defender though. But that's like me saying Terry is a better defender than Ashley Cole.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal