collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:09:43 PM]

Re: MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carew Now Injured  (Read 26054 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: Carew Now Injured
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
its his big chance he has to take it, if not its the championship for him

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
I am actually quite excited about Nathan’s sink or swim chance.

Agreed Ads.

It's in less that ideal circumstances, but it could be a blessing in disguise.

There are various reports that Fonz has been 'difficult' in training. Based largely on the NRC/ MON skirmish last year, Kevin Mac's reluctance to use him earlier in the season and GH seemingly also reticent.

Could be a lot of second guessing going on with very little substance to back it up. But even if he is a shit trainer, he wouldn't be the first. Some players only come alive when the stakes are high and there is something riding on their contribution.

He could have at least a month now to either make the position his own, or at least convince GH that he could be a useful option. Chances are GH will be bringing in his own players this Jan regardless (if he felt that he could get away without signing a forward or two I think that idea has been well and truly scotched - another plus).

It sounds reasonable and balanced to say the Fonz could still feature even if he doesn't make an impression over the next four weeks - he is young enough after all. But I really wouldn't fancy his chances if he doesn't seize this opportunity. I'd wager that our frontline options could look quite different by Feb 1st and managers tend to give their own signings first priority.

It's a no-lose situatation for Fonz really - if he comes in and shows what he can really do there's nobody available to take his place from him and he can shine. And if he doesn't score, he will at least be the equivalent of his better paid equivalents in the squad and we'll finally know if he's capable of cutting it at the top level.

If I was him right now, I'd be visualising how slow and lumbering I was going to make Brede Hangeland look.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
its that bloody training routine houllier has brought in,  the players are not used to it and as carew does fuck all anyway no wonder he is injured after doing a bit of hard work

It's the keeping the ball on the deck bit and passing to each other that's doing them in.

Anyway, it's a chance for Fonz to stake his claim. He's got a pretty clean run of it with Gabby just getting back into things. If Fonz can take off here, it will give Gabby proper time to recover as opposed to being rushed back. He offers pace and movement up front. Surround him with soem creativity he has the ability to make it count. What will be interesting to see is if he has the desire.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2010, 12:25:09 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing The Fonz team up with Ashley Young & Marc Albrighton. At least he will be more mobile than Carew. Looking forward to this now. 

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »
its his big chance he has to take it, if not its the championship for him
How many times does this need to be said.

He. Is. Nineteen. Years. Old.

Even if he completely balls up today then he will still get another chance.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
But he might not get another chance to show it with us as, as has been said, GH must be looking to bring people in in January.

Personally, i've not really seen anything in Delfonuso that has made me think he's anywhere near ready/good enough in the top flight - and if we really had the major talant on our hands that some have suggested (MON amongst them) then I really think we would of done by now.

So this is a massive chance for him and he must, must, must take it.  That doesn't mean he has to score 4 in 6 or anything like that (although that would be brilliant) he just has to look like he is/could be at home in the first XI.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »
But he might not get another chance to show it with us as, as has been said, GH must be looking to bring people in in January.
And? Does that mean we are suddenly going to sell off our young players?

Because Albrighton didn't break through two years ago (when he was Nathan's current age) should we have sold him even though we bought other wingers in that time?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »
Carew in a Norweigan newspaper this morning reacting GH comments they he must prove himself for a new contract. Also suggesting GH ill prepared for Villa job.

Beginning of the end for Big John.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »
I'm very confident that if Delfouneso can get himself in to the positions irelands found himself in, he will be alot more composed.

I'm really excited about DelBoy getting a chance.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
Carew in a Norweigan newspaper this morning reacting GH comments they he must prove himself for a new contract. Also suggesting GH ill prepared for Villa job.

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/engelsk/artikkel.php?artid=10034726

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:56 AM »

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/engelsk/artikkel.php?artid=10034726

Among the quotes:

• Maybe Houllier isn't prepared for the job, as a lot of things have changed at the club since Houllier left England (in 2003).
  • His (Carew's) relationship with Houllier at Lyon was not without problems.
  • Aston Villa have been a successful club the last years, and Houllier insults him and the fans (by making public comments about Carew having to play for a new contract).
  • The manager has told the players to talk about issues face to face and not through the media. Houllier is now breaking his own rules.
  • He doesn't think Houllier's comments are appreciated by the players or the fans.
  • Responding to the reporter's question about whether he feels he has anything to prove, Carew claims that he has been performing very well in the last years. There is a reason why the fans are singing my name all the time, he says.
  • Carew thinks he has been an important player for Aston Villa in the last seasons and that Houllier is the one who needs to prove himself at Villa, adding that the new manager has "big shoes to fill".
  • The relationship between the manager and the players depends on mutual respect. This makes Houllier's comments baffling. Houllier should not start demanding things from his players so soon after becoming manager. It disturbs the team and the players.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:21:37 AM by Eigentor »

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
Anything in there about Carew being ill for Burnley. At least we know how he managed to "tear his hamstring" now.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
I think Big John knew time was up as soon as GH walked in. Fact is Petrov and some others seem firmly behind him. His tactics might have been negative last week but I would have taken 0-0 before the game with our injuries etc. I think Carew has been some way from his best for a while, and did not exactly delight MON either. Maybe even go as early as Jan with a swap deal for someone. Pavylechenko even?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
Didn't Houllier swap Carew for Baros?

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »
Didn't Houllier swap Carew for Baros?
Someone on here said that Lyon had a director of football at the time and he dealt with all the transfers

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal