collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175825 times)

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
Just over 100 days until I attempt to run 100 miles.

My achilles is still in a mess after running 11 marathons last year but still trying to give it a go.

Holy moly.

This is small fry but nonetheless a huge astep up for me as I completed my first parkrun on Saturday in 30 minutes, knocking over 5 mins off my previous time. There were over 450 runners which was a real shock to the system as I do all my running alone but managed to keep my normal pace at the start and not get tempted to speed up too much. I haven't run with so many people around me since we bricked the windows of the local Dairy when I was 15.
I honestly never in my wildest dreams thought I'd enjoy running as much as this - I'm getting a real buzz out of it. At the end of November I was struggling to do 2 minute runs with 3 minute walk breaks. I'm now looking at 10K distance runs with the goal of doing the Two Castles between Kenilworth and Warwick in June. I know I'm never going to break any world records but the sense of personal improvement and achievement is something else.

Thats the joy of running, the only person to 'compete' against is yourself.

Keep going with it, once you get to marathon distance and cross the line after 26.2 miles, the feeling of immense pride is overwhelming

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
I have had really tight knees since my run last Tuesday.

I do a short 3k run to keep my cardio and my fitness ticking over once or twice a week, but have found my knee feels like it needs to pop.

Can anybody recommend any good warm up or particular exercises to prevent this?

Having read SashaGrandad's post, I thought it would be worth re-posting the following. Apologies for quoting myself, it does feel wrong but it will save me typing it all out again.

Standard stretches (aka Static stretches) should really be done at the end of a session after the muscles have been worked.

Dynamic stretches involve small movements that get bigger and help push blood into a muscle which helps to feel loose and get over any stiffness. The Dynamic stretches I do are squats, hip swings (leaning against something and swinging a foot from left to right and gradually getting bigger swings), hamstring swings (leaning against something and swinging a leg behind you, again getting bigger swings. This also helps get the lower back warm), standing calf raises (using a full range of movement), shoulder swings (swinging left and right arms out in front of you, with the swings getting bigger until you're using full range of movement. As well as getting blood flow into the upper back to). Not really necessary for running but you can also dynamically stretch the pectorals. For this, imagine you're holding a 2' rubber band in both hands with your hands crossed over eachother then try to stretch the imaginery band - again getting bigger with each repetition. In each set of dynamic stretches, look to do about 20 repetitions.

You do get some funny looks from by-passers but I didn't care and it's worth it. Though you could equally do them before setting off.

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
I'm already an excellent runner and have good fitness however if others are interested there is a great pod cast to take on the subject with the guardian

good luck if new to this its great to be free and run. Very natural invigorating and healthy !!

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
My story.

I gave up smoking 12 weeks ago after 20 years, the last four of which I became desperate to quit. I decided the best way to keep me off the cigarettes was to get fit, I could only run 1 mile maximum when I smoked and would be blowing out of my arse all of the way round. So take up running I have.

I started out doing 1 then 2 and then 3 miles and I amazed myself at how much easier it was when you don't smoke. Three weeks ago I did my first 5 mile run and then last Saturday I managed 7 miles, over 15 miles in total that week.

My average speed is about 9m15s per mile but I must admit my legs hurt most if the ti e that I'm running but I'm not particularly out of breath.

I'm aiming to do a couple of events this year, The Great Midlands Run in Sutton and maybe a half marathon with the long term ambition to do a whole marathon.

Any tips or advice that you long term runners have for a relative novice would be gratefully received.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
Well done on quitting the weed, just stay off it whatever the temptation may be.

Sounds like you've progressed slowly but steadily which is great, set yourself some goals which it sounds like you're doing as well with races & events, maybe consider taking a program to get to a distance, 1/2 marathon or full marathon in time.

In terms of your legs hurting, that will pass as your muscles get stronger and used to the exercise, maybe do a strength session a couple of times a week as well, focus on core stability & leg strength, squats, leg press & lunges, works wonders.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
My story.

I gave up smoking 12 weeks ago after 20 years, the last four of which I became desperate to quit. I decided the best way to keep me off the cigarettes was to get fit, I could only run 1 mile maximum when I smoked and would be blowing out of my arse all of the way round. So take up running I have.

I started out doing 1 then 2 and then 3 miles and I amazed myself at how much easier it was when you don't smoke. Three weeks ago I did my first 5 mile run and then last Saturday I managed 7 miles, over 15 miles in total that week.

My average speed is about 9m15s per mile but I must admit my legs hurt most if the ti e that I'm running but I'm not particularly out of breath.

I'm aiming to do a couple of events this year, The Great Midlands Run in Sutton and maybe a half marathon with the long term ambition to do a whole marathon.

Any tips or advice that you long term runners have for a relative novice would be gratefully received.

If you are starting from scratch now but follow a proper training programme you will be up to speed for the Great Midlands Run and/or the Birmingham Half Marathon dead easy. I found the training schedule on the Birmingham Half Marathon website a real help as a total novice who hadn't run since School when I did it in 2012. The Great Midlands Run is a cracking event as well so I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

Offline OCD

« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
My story.

Regarding your legs hurting, in what way? If it's muscular, that will go as you get used to running regularly (it would mean the muscles are under-trained). If it's the knee joints, I would recommend taking this - http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/msm-glucosamine-chondroitin/10530141.html

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
My story.

If you are starting from scratch now but follow a proper training programme you will be up to speed for the Great Midlands Run and/or the Birmingham Half Marathon dead easy. I found the training schedule on the Birmingham Half Marathon website a real help as a total novice who hadn't run since School when I did it in 2012. The Great Midlands Run is a cracking event as well so I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

I think (think) I might go for the Half Marathon in October. It seems far away enough to be not too frightening so why not?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »
I've broken my middle toe of my right foot, pretty much snapped the end of the toe off.  Bugger all you can do about it apart from rest and stick it to the toe next to it.  Reading Half in a few weeks may be a bit of a slog now and I start a 30 week build up to Ironman Wales on 18th Feb.  The bruising has just about finished coming out now, looks a nice black & purple swollen mess right now.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
My story.

I think (think) I might go for the Half Marathon in October. It seems far away enough to be not too frightening so why not?

Go for it. You've already started running so you will be up to speed by then no problem at all. If I can do it anyone can.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
A friend sent me a book called Bullet Proof Knees which has proven to be very helpful in dealing with some leg issues while running - it has made me a huge fan of foam-rolling.

If anyone wants a copy send me a DM with your e-mail address - I can send it to you via Drop Box.

Offline OCD

« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
If you like a foam roller, try using a Rumble Roller.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
I haven't run for over a week now as the slight calf strain I had has turned into a real knee problem. It seems alright if I use a cross trainer or cycle but can't do much more than that.
I guess the best thing to do is just rest it but it's so infuriating.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
Ice Ice baby.

Always ice.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
Saw a few Villa shirts out today at the Reading Half Marathon, spoke to one lad near the start with AK on the back of his shirt and saw a few others on the way round.

How did we all do?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal