collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Demitri_C
[Today at 12:51:31 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Demitri_C
[Today at 12:51:31 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 176083 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Dan, Wales is rated the toughest Ironman course in the world now, sitting there above Lanzarote & Kona http://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/
The 2.4 mile swim at Wales is an open water sea swim, water temp was 16c, tide was running. The bike in Wales is 112 miles with 9000 feet of vertical climb including a 16% climb at 110 miles.  The marathon 26.2 miles has 2800 feet of vertical climb, for reference the London marathon is -38 feet.  The other unique factor in Wales is the run from swim exit to T1, some 1 and a bit km incuding scaling a 60 foot cliff.

The weather in Wales for the last 3 years has been horrific, this year we had wind, rain, sun & hail, my Garmin on the ride showed 8c, many people just froze over on the ride, add to that the technical nature of the bike course and you have a savage, brutal course.  Last year 18% of starters DNF'd.

I've already signed up for Wales 2014, there's nothing quite like it, I'm going to do a US Ironman race as well next year, Lake Placid if I can get a slot.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:39:38 PM by Jon Crofts »

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
I have just been accepted to run the London Marathon in memory of my dad. Two years ago I use to run every night now I do nothing so training starts Monday; if any of you would be so kind.....

http://www.justgiving.com/running4pops

:)

Offline danlanza

« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Dan, Wales is rated the toughest Ironman course in the world now, sitting there above Lanzarote & Kona http://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/
The 2.4 mile swim at Wales is an open water sea swim, water temp was 16c, tide was running. The bike in Wales is 112 miles with 9000 feet of vertical climb including a 16% climb at 110 miles.  The marathon 26.2 miles has 2800 feet of vertical climb, for reference the London marathon is -38 feet.  The other unique factor in Wales is the run from swim exit to T1, some 1 and a bit km incuding scaling a 60 foot cliff.

The weather in Wales for the last 3 years has been horrific, this year we had wind, rain, sun & hail, my Garmin on the ride showed 8c, many people just froze over on the ride, add to that the technical nature of the bike course and you have a savage, brutal course.  Last year 18% of starters DNF'd.

I've already signed up for Wales 2014, there's nothing quite like it, I'm going to do a US Ironman race as well next year, Lake Placid if I can get a slot.
Bloody hell Jon, that sounds horrific. No probs over here then, just enjoy the sunshine. The Mrs and i will be watching out for you on the time tracker on the finish line. All the best Jon.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
Did anyone else manage to get a London slot?
I didn't that's 3 years on the trot now, is the 5 year rule still in place?

Rant time now.  Why the fuck is that fat c**t Gordon Ramsey competing at the Ironman World Championships in Kona this weekend?  Everyone else there had to qualify all except that potty mouthed knob end.

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
Yes I did get a spot in London. :)

www.justgiving.com/running4pops

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »
Yes I got pulled out of the ballot for London - running number 2922.  Feel guilty now Jon as thats 2 times in 3 years i've been pulled out.  Quite lucky by all accounts.  Im certain they got rid of the 5 year rule a few years ago so that probably isn't going to help your mood....

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
Good luck, hope it all goes well, I know a few people at work who have got slots for next year, some of them struggle with the couch bit of 'couch to 5k'
You're right, the 5 year thing ended.
Ho hum, Reading half booked for March then it's Ironman training plan all the way to September with a few races in between again.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
Anyone else do the Great Birmingham Run yesterday? I did 1:57:25 which was nearly 10 minutes faster than last year and included a loo break so I was very pleased with that. Seemed to be a slightly harder course than last year - there was an additional climb snuck in around Stirchley. News last night said they are thinking of changing the route next year?

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #248 on: November 28, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
I've been training for about the last six months in the gym and have at last started running on the road. I've always struggled with running distance (been ok playing football though) as I suffer from back pain but for once in my life and with some decent trainers I feel as though I am getting somewhere. I  know there's some pretty serious runners on here so any tips would be great. I've been advised to take things slow to begin and to take rest days but I find this really frustrating. I'm never going to make the marathon so I've set my sights on 5k in a couple of months and then trying for 10k eventually.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
If the trainers/shoes have made a difference then get to a podiatrist or at least to a store that can exanmine your gait and foot strike, even changing insoles can mage a huge difference to a runner. 
Set yourself realistic goals, running 10k is one thing but running 10k in say sub 60 mins is another, Park Run is a great way to get into and understand your goals.  Also a heart rate monitor will really boost your training by showing you how hard you are working rather than just by percieved effort, do some research on heart rate zones and training in those zones, running in Zone 2 for an hour or so will burn fat and oxygen both of which are in endless supply, running for 10 minutes in Zone 3 or 4 will burn sugar and you don't have a lot of that to burn so its worth understanding how your heart works and where your training zones are.

« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
Thanks Jon. I went to a podiatrist a few years ago and they gave me some heel supports that helped with long distance walking, because I suffered from back pain I never even thought about running at that time. Now though, I feel as though I am getting somewhere. I'm following a Couch to 5K programme which seems to be testing me just about enough but I am starting from scratch as I've been advised to do that.
The reason why I've set my sights on a 5K is because they do Park Run close by and my step son often does it. I'd just like to do something on a Saturday morning even if I can't keep up with the whippersnapper.
I'll have a look into the heart rate stuff even though I struggle to keep it in the right zone when working out at a gym.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
I  know there's some pretty serious runners on here so any tips would be great.

The three things that I wish I had know about when I first started running outdoors are active (dynamic) stretching for warming-up, compression and proper post-run recovery techniques. Would have saved a lot of pain and soreness.

Happy to give some tips if you don't find anything on Google.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
Dynamic stretching makes a massive difference. I would warm-up with a gentle run, do the dynamic stretching and then do interval running (jog 100m, run 100m i.e use 2 different speeds). I always felt crap in the warm-up run, as though I wouldn't be able to last very long. Once I had done the dynamic stretching, the muscles are all properly warmed up and suddenly running felt easy and I would be able to complete the course without any issue.

After that, I would rest for a couple of minutes before doing some sprint work. That meant going where there would be a 100m straight. I would sprint 100m, walk back and repeat 10-12 times. Then try to jog home or more likely walk home. That's a great work-out that is.

« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »
Dynamic stretching? I do just what I call standard stretches as warm up and not suffering from any pains at present post run. I will investigate further, sounds interesting thanks.
I'm on week 6 of a couch to 5k programme which is a very slow build up in distance. I'm not keen on varying from that until I complete week 9. So far, so good though. Have just completed two 12 minute runs with a 3 min walk in between and feel pretty good about progress. The programme advises getting used to running for time before working on speed so am happy to go along with that philosophy.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »
Standard stretches (aka Static stretches) should really be done at the end of a session after the muscles have been worked.

Dynamic stretches involve small movements that get bigger and help push blood into a muscle which helps to feel loose and get over any stiffness. The Dynamic stretches I do are squats, hip swings (leaning against something and swinging a foot from left to right and gradually getting bigger swings), hamstring swings (leaning against something and swinging a leg behind you, again getting bigger swings. This also helps get the lower back warm), standing calf raises (using a full range of movement), shoulder swings (swinging left and right arms out in front of you, with the swings getting bigger until you're using full range of movement. As well as getting blood flow into the upper back to). Not really necessary for running but you can also dynamically stretch the pectorals. For this, imagine you're holding a 2' rubber band in both hands with your hands crossed over eachother then try to stretch the imaginery band - again getting bigger with each repetition. In each set of dynamic stretches, look to do about 20 repetitions.

You do get some funny looks from by-passers but I didn't care and it's worth it. Though you could equally do them before setting off.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:06:05 PM by OCD »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal