collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 174573 times)

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
The Running thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
No, it's not a thread that can run, it's for anyone who runs or is interested in running / jogging at any level.

I'll start.....

I've been running now for about 3 years, 2009 being my biggest year to date. Last year I completed two marathons (London and Dublin) and 7 half marathons with a few 10 milers and 10k's in as well.

At present i'm laid up with achilles tendonitis, but I have entered three events this year so far.

1/. Tough Guy - Nettle Warrior - 25/07/10
2/. Bupa Great North Run - 19/09/10
3/. Muller 10k - 09/05/10

I am also planning to enter the Birmingham Black Country Half marathon, as well as 7 or 8 more.

My marathon plans are restricted due to my wife due to give birth 3 days after the cup final (pretty selfish timing on her part) but i'm looking at Pisa or Florence later on in the year.

Anyone else do any running...........

Offline BrummieInKiwiLand

The Running thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Good idea for a thread. I'm just getting started with regular running. Unlucky about the tnedonitis. How long will you be out of action?

I'd say I've been "training" properly since the week before christmas now (3-4 runs a week, following a free-be training program I downloaded from the net). I felt like an old man to start with, but within about 2 weeks I really got into it. Makes a massive difference to how much energy I have, and I never fail to feel better after a run. Except...

... I've had a recent set-back, I think I stepped up the distance too quickly (30mins, to 45 mins to 1hr to  1hr 20 in the space of 3 weeks or so. Bad idea), and as a result have had a problem with my achilles (at the top of the tendon, where it joins the calf muscle). Very frustrating as I'm sure you know. Under doctors orders I took a week off completely, felt terrible about it, but have now started back on a "little and often" basis (20 min runs nearly every night - lots of stretching and warming down etc.) I've just gone back up to 30 mins last sunday, but annoyingly the calfs are still a bit sore at the end of each run. Hopefully not going to have a relapse though!

I am going to be doing the sutton park 10km run on 18th april for a practice race the week before  the half.

There is also apparently a half marathon in birmingham city centre this year, which I saw on the internet but the date is not fixed yet? Anyone know anything about that?

EDIT: You're entering 11 events this year?? Thats quite a schedule. You must be quite a serious runner.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
The Running thread
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »
I did my first half marathon last year in one hour forty three which felt good as I beat loads of people who take it all a little too seriously. I think I offended a few egos as I am generally regarded as an overweight, unfit lazy arse. Since then I've pulled out of a couple of races through illness and injury.

My big problem is I get a tightness in my foot that can lead to numbness. I thought it was plantar for a bit but I am certain it's not that as I get it when I am running, not when I wake up. Went for a run earlier and it flaired up again. It really is very frustrating.

I do plan to do the Reading half marathon in a few weeks if I can stay fit.

Offline Yossarian

The Running thread
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
double post

Offline DBTW

The Running thread
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »
Barton, have you been on a gait analysis machine? You could have pronation problems and a new pair of structured or motion control shoes could helop a lot.

BIKL, I had the same problem when I started running, and i went to a sports physio who diagnosed it as adverse biomechanical issues resulting from previous hamstring tears from football. Basically the hammy was too tight, meaning the calf wasnt stretching as it should, putting pressure on the tendon. Stretches and ice were advised, and after a 3-4 week rest and doing what I was told i have never had it since.

I have never had so many injuries that I now get from running. When marathon training I got a bad cast of IT Band syndrome. It then went into the other leg and I ended up haveing accupuncture - which helped along with new motion controlled shoes.

If you fancy joing up for a few races this year let me know, always nice to have a few beers after a run. I'd def recommend the bbchm (www.bbchm.co.uk) as it is on a Saturday and finishes in Brindley Place!

Offline Yossarian

The Running thread
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »
Quote from: "DBTW"
Barton, have you been on a gait analysis machine? You could have pronation problems and a new pair of structured or motion control shoes could helop a lot.

I did do that. The bloke in the shop, who was really sound, couldn't believe I ran so differently depending on the shoes I wore. I've now got a light pair of shoes to stop me from heal striking first which could be something to do with it. The shoes didn't help this morning mind.

The Running thread
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
will definitely check out that website. And finishing a run in bridnley place sounds like a good idea to me!

Offline DBTW

The Running thread
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
Quote from: "BrummieInKiwiLand"
will definitely check out that website. And finishing a run in bridnley place sounds like a good idea to me!

It's a great run along the canal from Wolverhampton to Brindley Place. There are showers at the end along with bag transport, so we always make a day of it. The course is flat apart from a few bridges, and a really well organised run.

The Running thread
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
I just spoke to a mate of mine who did the GNR and london marathon last year. He's signed up for the great north run again, but we're going to enter the BBCHM as well. I read the info, sounds like quite a good route, and just the thing to prevent me from taking too much of a break after the sheffield run. Just hope the legs hold out better from now on.

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
The Running thread
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »
I do a bit myself. I have done 2 X country races so far and am signed up for a couple of 10Ks and then the GNR. I have done that for the last 3 years now and it rocks.

The tendon issues all sound like gait things. Look for an Adidas performance shop. There is one in Brum and go on their gait machine, it sorted me out immediately with a recommendation to wear supporting shoes. No more sore tendons for me.

http://www.adidas.com/conceptstores/content/index.asp?strBrand_adidascom=performance&strCountry_adidascom=uk&country=uk&strLanguage_adidascom=uk&language=uk

I go lunchtimes from work. Its a good stress releiver.

Offline villa1

Re: The Running thread
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Quote from: "DBTW"
No, it's not a thread that can run, it's for anyone who runs or is interested in running / jogging at any level.

I'll start.....

I've been running now for about 3 years, 2009 being my biggest year to date. Last year I completed two marathons (London and Dublin) and 7 half marathons with a few 10 milers and 10k's in as well.

At present i'm laid up with achilles tendonitis, but I have entered three events this year so far.

1/. Tough Guy - Nettle Warrior - 25/07/10
2/. Bupa Great North Run - 19/09/10
3/. Muller 10k - 09/05/10

I am also planning to enter the Birmingham Black Country Half marathon, as well as 7 or 8 more.

My marathon plans are restricted due to my wife due to give birth 3 days after the cup final (pretty selfish timing on her part) but i'm looking at Pisa or Florence later on in the year.

Anyone else do any running...........

I've had achilles tendonitis too. It's a right shitter to get rid of.

I did the Men's Health Survival of the Fittest in October and have only recently started running again.

The Running thread
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
Found out today the cause of my achilles problem; my right leg is weak! Apparently, significantly weaker than the left, but only from the knee upwards, which seems strange. Anyway, physios advice is a proper gait analysis on a treadmill, a pair of appropriate trainers (for supination) and strengthening exercises for the gluteal maximus (right buttock) and thigh muscles.

8 weeks til the sutton park 10km and 9 weeks til the sheffield half marathon. Signed up for the BBCHM in july too. Maybe tempting fate a bit!

Hopefully enough time to get back on course before race day!!

Offline NatP

The Running thread
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
I've entered my 2nd marathon this year, Stratford upon Avon. Didn't think to check the fixture list.... was gutted to discover it's the same day as we play Small Heath.

Another thumbs up for the BBCHM, have done it the past two years, great race.

Offline woo

The Running thread
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
I do 2 or 3 10k's and 1 half Marathon each year so you lot are making me feel really lazy!

My P.B. for a half is 1hr 49 in last years Brum Half Marathon. Fot those that are interested this years Brum Half Marathon is Sunday October 24th.

I haven't had the bottle to commit to a full marathon yet. For those that have done, how hard was it? The thought of having to commit to so much extra training and fit it around villa fixtures\social life\beer\family etc etc is daunting!

The Running thread
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »
question for the runners. Does anyone take any vitamin/supplements, or got any opinions/recommendations about them. I'm not talking steroids or anything like that, just regular things you can buy over the counter at the supermarket.

Since i started running 3 months ago i've been taking daily berocca and cod liver oil capsules. Not specifically to improve my running, but just thought it would help in general. i've now cut down on the berocca and started taking Wellman sports 1 a day tablets every other day (i.e only on the days i run) but i'm wondering if its a waste of money. I do feel better, and my achilles held up really well today on my 1st 10km run,  but maybe its all in the mind?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal