collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.  (Read 72951 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.
« Reply #765 on: May 05, 2024, 11:10:27 AM »
I wonder if we signed someone like Hermoso it might end the career of Tyrone Mings with us. He would be a brilliant leader at his former club Ipswich now that they’ve come back up. 

I hope not. If Tyrone can get back to 90% even of where he was he'll still have a role to play.

We flirted with a back three last summer and the odd game this year.

I think it's an option Emery wants next year.  He just wants better personnel to execute it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 01:24:13 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #766 on: May 05, 2024, 11:14:58 AM »
Man what a coup that is on a  free. More unbelievable business from the club

Feels good to shop in waitrose and not poundland anymore

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #767 on: May 05, 2024, 11:26:16 AM »
Digne’s wages being reallocated to Hermoso?  A CB but can also cover for Moreno and allows us to switch which side we have the attacking full-back.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2024, 11:36:53 AM »
I wonder if we signed someone like Hermoso it might end the career of Tyrone Mings with us. He would be a brilliant leader at his former club Ipswich now that they’ve come back up. 

I hope not. If Tyrone can get back to 90% even of where he was he'll still have a role to play.

We flirted with a back three last summer and the odd game this summer.

I think it's an option Emery wants next year.  He just wants better personnel to execute it.
I see it that longer term we're going to play with 3 central defenders (something like Konsa - Torres - Hermoso) then 1 wing back, be that Cash, Moreno, Digne, that Serbian lad ... then if we want to 1 sub means we can pretty easily swap our defensive shape dramatically, from focussed on attacking down the left (left wingback on for right wingback), to down the right (right wing back on for left wing back), or sitting back (either wingback for a central defender).  With the 5 subs rule you could conceivably have 2 shifts of defensive focus in a game and still have 3 sub left for the more attacking players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #769 on: May 05, 2024, 12:04:32 PM »
Hermoso's a good player. I think if anything it just means he replaces Lenglet.

I also wonder if there's any way we could keep Digne for one more year and sell Moreno instead?

He's had an injury ravaged season and looks like he's lost a yard of acceleration from his hamstring which is a problem for how he plays. Also 30 now so not a long term option for us either so could see him being offered back to a few La Liga clubs.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #770 on: May 05, 2024, 12:32:33 PM »
Does anybody know much about Hermoso? Not really been in the Spain team much. Is he better than say, Carlos?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #771 on: May 05, 2024, 12:33:25 PM »

Erm, let me think. No.

Christ no.

Offline dr.chekov

« Reply #772 on: May 05, 2024, 12:37:20 PM »
Thrice, no.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #773 on: May 05, 2024, 12:40:38 PM »
I was thinking earlier that Mings and Buendia are exactly the kind of characters that will come double hard, strong and hungry from their injuries and what's happened in their absence.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #774 on: May 05, 2024, 12:41:15 PM »

Erm, let me think. No.

Christ no.

Definitely not, one thing this season has shown is that to compete in multiple competitions you need the ability to rotate without a significant drop of in performance levels.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #775 on: May 05, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »
Just done a little check on the age of our squad - As I've now become older than the footballers I support, I've lost all concept of how old they all are!

Age 34 - Olsen
Age 31 - Martinez, Mings, Carlos, Coutinho(*exp Jun26)
Age 30 - Digne, Moreno
Age 29 - McGinn, Chambers, Sanson(*exp Jun25), Dendoncker(*exp Jun26)
Age 28 - Lenglet, Hause, Watkins
Age 27 - Buendia, Torres
Age 26 - Tielemans, Bailey, Konsa, Cash
Age 25 - Luiz
Age 24 - Zaniolo, Kamara, Diaby
Age 23 - Gauci
Age 22 - Ramsey, Sinisalo
Age 21 - Rogers, KKH, Marschall
Age 20 - Duran, Iroegbunam

Looks like exits could be just as important as new faces.
Lumbered with Coutinho and Dendoncker's wages for another 2 years unless we can get them off the books, and as much as I like Digne, he's 30 now and VERY expensive. LB looks to be a priority this summer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 12:58:07 PM by Nii Lamptey »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #776 on: May 05, 2024, 12:59:08 PM »
Hermoso's a good player. I think if anything it just means he replaces Lenglet.

I also wonder if there's any way we could keep Digne for one more year and sell Moreno instead?

He's had an injury ravaged season and looks like he's lost a yard of acceleration from his hamstring which is a problem for how he plays. Also 30 now so not a long term option for us either so could see him being offered back to a few La Liga clubs.

How can you know that Moreno won't look sharp again once he's had a break and then a full pre-season?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #777 on: May 05, 2024, 01:01:59 PM »
One of them is going though as we have that left back on loan coming back in summer that we signed from arsenal.

No way is digne and moreno going to be here next season. I think it will be digne due to the wages unfortunately

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #778 on: May 05, 2024, 01:07:02 PM »

Erm, let me think. No.

Christ no.

Definitely not, one thing this season has shown is that to compete in multiple competitions you need the ability to rotate without a significant drop of in performance levels.

Yeah, come on, that's as bad as me not hating Blose as much as I'm supposed to.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #779 on: May 05, 2024, 01:07:58 PM »
One of them is going though as we have that left back on loan coming back in summer that we signed from arsenal.

No way is digne and moreno going to be here next season. I think it will be digne due to the wages unfortunately

From his time at Plymouth, there is no way that Lino Sousa will be ready for Villa first duties next season...

I agree on the Digne point though. His wages will push him out, like they nearly did last summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal