collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Loanwatch 2023/24  (Read 38396 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Loanwatch 2023/24
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2024, 06:50:34 PM »
Barry tore his Hamstring.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2024, 12:47:39 AM »
[b]Ben Chrisene - 5[/b]

Had spells where he looked composed and others where he struggled. Was let off by Dembele after failing to deal with a cross from the opposite side.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24117978.blackburn-rovers-ratings-mcfadzean-impresses-attack-struggles/

He was playing on the left side of a back 3. Could this be where he ends up as a central defender?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2024, 02:22:36 AM »
Good to see him playing again.

He looks big enough to cope in the middle.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2024, 06:00:27 AM »
Not a loan but a buy back option Philogene seems to be making a name for himself.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2024, 06:45:45 AM »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2024, 11:22:34 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether we activate his buy-back.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2024, 11:30:57 AM »
Don't they need to get promoted and other clubs can outbid us so there's no real weight to it.

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2024, 11:31:47 AM »
Think we've dropped a bollock here

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2024, 01:51:45 PM »
Don't they need to get promoted and other clubs can outbid us so there's no real weight to it.

I've seen this discussed a lot. I've also gone back and looked at the exact words used by the Hull chairman which led this story. My view? I think the chairman was being very clever with the fans, who weren't sure buying players who can be taken away again is a good thing. 

Now, Do I think there is a buy-back clause that if they get promoted we can get him but only for £15m? Yes, I'm certain there is.  But, do I think that is the ONLY circumstance in which we can buy him (them getting promoted)? No, I VERY much doubt it. 

I'm sure the buy-back has all sorts of variables, based on whether they get promoted, how long he's been there, if he gets International recognition, and so on.

My view is that their chairman only mentioned the circumstances in which they would get the absolute maximum from the deal - which is if we're buying back a premier league player.  In which case, £15m is fair enough.

I would be absolutely amazed if there isn't something in the buy-back deal that allows us to buy him from them while they're still a Championship side, but I also completely understand why he wouldn't mention that in an interview specifically designed to get the fans onside with the deal.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2024, 02:14:42 PM »

I've seen this discussed a lot. I've also gone back and looked at the exact words used by the Hull chairman which led this story. My view? I think the chairman was being very clever with the fans, who weren't sure buying players who can be taken away again is a good thing. 

Now, Do I think there is a buy-back clause that if they get promoted we can get him but only for £15m? Yes, I'm certain there is.  But, do I think that is the ONLY circumstance in which we can buy him (them getting promoted)? No, I VERY much doubt it. 

I'm sure the buy-back has all sorts of variables, based on whether they get promoted, how long he's been there, if he gets International recognition, and so on.

My view is that their chairman only mentioned the circumstances in which they would get the absolute maximum from the deal - which is if we're buying back a premier league player.  In which case, £15m is fair enough.

I would be absolutely amazed if there isn't something in the buy-back deal that allows us to buy him from them while they're still a Championship side, but I also completely understand why he wouldn't mention that in an interview specifically designed to get the fans onside with the deal.
Yeah, was going to write something similar but you've worded it better than I have.

I suspect Bidace in particular is closer in spirit to a loan than it is to a proper transfer - the main difference being that Hull will (hopefully) receive some financial benefit out of it.

Dunno about anyone else, but I've felt for a bit uncomfortable with us getting all the money from the Azaz deal, whilst Plymouth - who are basically the ones who've made him saleable - have got bugger all.  I mean, it's the deal they signed up to and so on, but it just seems a bit unfair to me that we get the benefit from a player who's never played for us, was never likely to play for us, and we have had limited-if-any involvement in his development.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 02:18:05 PM by algy »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2024, 02:25:55 PM »
But then again, with regards to Azaz, they likely didn't pay any loan-fee for him, he contributed greatly to their promotion and consolidation in the Ch'ship and we've sold him for an almost nominal amount, which would have been within the range of most Ch'ship teams budgets. Unfortunately not for Plymouth but they clearly don't bear grudges, with Lino Sousa going straight there on-loan from us after we signed him from Arsenal. We've just got Kessler-Hayden back from them too so it's clearly a fruitful relationship for both parties.

These are the most recent quotes I can see regarding Philogene (from last week):

Hull City vice-chairman Tan Kesler has reiterated the club's agreement with Aston Villa over the terms of Jaden Philogene's £5m move last summer.

Kesler, speaking at the 1904 Club's live podcast event hosted by Hull Live, reaffirmed the situation that Villa could only attempt to sign Philogene, if the Tigers were in the Premier League, and even then, the Birmingham outfit would have to match any other bids submitted from rival clubs. Villa's buy-back fee stands at £15m, but if another club were to offer £20m, then City would be able to accept that unless Villa matched it.

"He's not their player, he's a Hull City player for sure, that I can tell you for sure," Kesler said when it was put to him Villa fans were taunting their Tigers counterparts. "I love social media, I'm starting to love it even more. I've been open from the beginning and also you need to know, that if we promote Villa have agreed to a buy-back but only if we promote and we're in the Premier League.

"They still have to agree with the player and they still have to match, and this is very important, they still have to match if we receive another offer. I think when the time comes, it would be a hefty deal for Villa to get him back, but they're our friends so I'm not saying anything that I shouldn't be saying here."

City's vice-chairman also confirmed that the buy-back offer stands for the duration of Philogene's contract, which has two more years to run this summer, with the club holding the option of a further 12 months.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2024, 02:33:57 PM »
He reminds me of Eze. If he turns out that good I hope we get him back.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2024, 02:49:32 PM »
The crucial thing will be whether Philogene wants to come back to Villa, where he'll be competing with Bailey and Diaby for a place.

He went to Hull to get the first team football he wasn't getting with us.  Unless he's going to be a first choice player, I doubt he'll choose to come back.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2024, 03:07:59 PM »
The biggest thing with Philogene, for me, is that we'll need to have a lot of reminders that he's chosen to drop the Bidace part of his surname.

I agree with Smithy that I can't see the 'in the same league' thing as being the only trigger for the buy-back, we'll see but I maintain that I'd be surprised if he isn't back at Villa within 18months (from now).

Finally a few years ago I saw him in a reserve/U18 game and told everyone I knew that he could be a superstar but he needed more end product, this season has shown that he's developing that and if he carries on I'd be amazed if he doesn't end up with England caps.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2024, 03:16:23 PM »
It would be really odd if we could only buy him back if they get promoted. We have an automatic buy back for Archer when Sheffield get relegated. Maybe we also have an automatic but back if they don’t get promoted?! 😂

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal