collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 796880 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #1755 on: May 30, 2023, 08:09:03 PM »
When we get linked with players like this, I’m just waiting for a champions league teams to announce he’s signing for them instead. Certainly be a coup
Yeah, feels a bit too similar to the Felix links.  But, you've got to be in it to win it.

When we were trying to get Felix, we were stuck in 11th in the table with our ambition being to finish in the top half.

I never really thought we'd get Felix in January but the chatter on this one seems to be a lot more positive and fairly well-sourced. No guarantees but I'm hopeful, and it would get the window off to a great start.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1756 on: May 30, 2023, 08:33:31 PM »
Signing a 27-year-old forward and current Spanish international from Real Madrid doesn't sound like a very Villa thing to do. I love that it's even being discussed as a perfectly reasonable thing for us to be doing these days.  His scoring record isn't particularly prolific, so can anyone confirm if he's generally played as a winger rather than as an out and out striker? I suspect he would be brought in to play in Bailey's position?

His highlight reel looks incredible, but these days everyone's does.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1757 on: May 30, 2023, 08:38:18 PM »
Apparently he doesn’t like playing where Madrid put him, which is wider. He sees himself as a 10. According to the gossip

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1758 on: May 30, 2023, 08:45:22 PM »
For all the talk of Gerrard raising our profile in the transfer market, we really do seem to be taken more seriously with Unai.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1759 on: May 30, 2023, 09:06:24 PM »
You feckers have got me watching the youtube clips of Asensio. Blimey.

Bastards.

Only if he now doesn't sign.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1760 on: May 30, 2023, 09:14:06 PM »
As someone has already said, I will get excited when John Percy tells us it's happening. 

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #1761 on: May 30, 2023, 09:15:31 PM »
With us playing Thursday/Sunday, we'll  need to strengthen the squad.

Shift a few out - raises cash and reduces the wage bill - Marvelous, Davis, Sanson, Hause, Wesley

Promote two/three from the youth team/reserves - Cam Archer, Tim Iroegbunam

Look to bring in a few on free transfers - Kamara style

Spend where required to bring in quality additions in the right areas

The free transfers/money signings will be carefully scouted to ensure they fit our culture and style of play and are an upgrade on what we already have.

Don't expect us to be buying too many "squad" players a la Engels/Bednarek.

And of the current squad, Traore/Buendia/Bailey will all have to perform a whole lot better.

ASENSIO
If we do manage to sign him, it will be on a free transfer (like Kamara last year) -  very astute financially as it will have zero affect on our FFP numbers and leave our pot of transfer cash fully available to spend elsewhere.

The consensus on Twitter seems to be that Asensio is attaching more "weight" to the "project" than money and wants regular first team footie instead of being rotated in and out of a team of "stars" where he isn't guaranteed regular football, but instead spends quite a time on the bench or in the stands.

Reckon we're aiming to get several deals "done" before the transfer windows open and I fully expect us to pull one out of the that nobody saw coming.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #1762 on: May 30, 2023, 09:18:44 PM »
As someone has already said, I will get excited when John Percy tells us it's happening.

Or Fabrizio

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #1763 on: May 30, 2023, 09:20:42 PM »
Ahem… a few years ago, I would have been ridiculed for even mentioning this but…

Messi. Had contact with Premier League clubs. Could Emi be in his ear following on from that interview a couple of weeks ago? Didn’t Emi say something similar in an interview prior to another transfer being concluded last close season?

I genuinely don’t know if we should, but he’s a free agent and wants to sort out his next club very quickly.

I just wonder…

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1764 on: May 30, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
Ahem… a few years ago, I would have been ridiculed for even mentioning this but…

Messi. Had contact with Premier League clubs. Could Emi be in his ear following on from that interview a couple of weeks ago? Didn’t Emi say something similar in an interview prior to another transfer being concluded last close season?

I genuinely don’t know if we should, but he’s a free agent and wants to sort out his next club very quickly.

I just wonder…

Sky mentioned a host of clubs were in for him, plus an un-named Premier Division club.  Who knows?  Would be a circus but would certainly make people stand up and take notice.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1765 on: May 30, 2023, 09:26:20 PM »
Signing a 27-year-old forward and current Spanish international from Real Madrid doesn't sound like a very Villa thing to do. I love that it's even being discussed as a perfectly reasonable thing for us to be doing these days.  His scoring record isn't particularly prolific, so can anyone confirm if he's generally played as a winger rather than as an out and out striker? I suspect he would be brought in to play in Bailey's position?

His highlight reel looks incredible, but these days everyone's does.

you should see mine 👀

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1766 on: May 30, 2023, 09:27:29 PM »
Steady on now

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1767 on: May 30, 2023, 09:33:00 PM »

I just wonder…
Yeah, oddly I was wondering that earlier today.

I mean ... it'd be something, wouldn't it?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1768 on: May 30, 2023, 09:36:10 PM »

I just wonder…

Sky mentioned a host of clubs were in for him, plus an un-named Premier Division club.  Who knows?  Would be a circus but would certainly make people stand up and take notice.

Emi was posting about cooking him bbqs and taking a wage cut to help with his salary last week!

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1769 on: May 30, 2023, 09:42:14 PM »
This is going to sound mad but would he be all that? I get it it’s Messi but he’s deffo on the wane and my worry is he’d be a drag on us like Ronaldo at ManYew. I don’t think he’d come but I’d be posting on the worried thread as to the impact.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal