collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 774441 times)

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #1560 on: May 26, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »
Emery has squeezed every last drop out of this current group. It’s an incredible achievement. But I can see us adding some quality at CB, a new RB, at least 1 in top player in midfield, a back up keeper, 1 or 2 wingers and proven striker. We will spend something in the region £200m. I imagine the likes of Bailey, Traore, Chambers, JPB, Dendoncker, Olsen even Buendia gone. Our squad is way too thin in terms of depth and genuine quality. It’s going to be a busy summer.

I'd be stunned if we got near that.

Under 100m imo.

what can you get for 100m nowadays if you are trying significantly improve the first team?

Can't recall where I read it, but there's supposed to be a stronger correlation between the wage bill and league success than there is with transfer spend.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1561 on: May 26, 2023, 10:40:51 PM »
The same sources on Asensio are saying he's off to PSG.  Not quite as romantically nourished about the Villa offer as we thought.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1562 on: May 26, 2023, 10:46:18 PM »
The same sources on Asensio are saying he's off to PSG.  Not quite as romantically nourished about the Villa offer as we thought.

The Parisiens have always had a bit more about them when it comes to romance than Brummies.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1563 on: May 26, 2023, 10:58:23 PM »

The Parisiens have always had a bit more about them when it comes to romance than Brummies.

How very dare you sir! We have canals. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1564 on: May 26, 2023, 11:04:04 PM »
Meant to be seducing Dani Cabellos as well. If we do get 1 or 2 frees in that reduces the amount we probably need to spend. There could be 1 or 2 good value for money signings before we get into the big transfers too.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1565 on: May 26, 2023, 11:18:27 PM »
Emery has squeezed every last drop out of this current group. It’s an incredible achievement. But I can see us adding some quality at CB, a new RB, at least 1 in top player in midfield, a back up keeper, 1 or 2 wingers and proven striker. We will spend something in the region £200m. I imagine the likes of Bailey, Traore, Chambers, JPB, Dendoncker, Olsen even Buendia gone. Our squad is way too thin in terms of depth and genuine quality. It’s going to be a busy summer.

Under 100m imo.

what can you get for 100m nowadays if you are trying significantly improve the first team?

Can't recall where I read it, but there's supposed to be a stronger correlation between the wage bill and league success than there is with transfer spend.

Think it's in Why England Lose by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1566 on: May 27, 2023, 02:41:48 AM »

Under 100m imo.

It's a good point.  I heard a manc presenter on the radio the other day saying that the accusations that Machester City have bought  their honours doesn't stack up as their net spend is similar to other clubs. 

What he failed to mention of course was the wages that they can pay enables them to keep their squad together and fends off interest from other clubs.  Very few, if any, other clubs have that luxury.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1567 on: May 27, 2023, 07:36:50 AM »
It’s possible that Bailey could come good, bit of a cliche but most wingers are inconsistent, Bailey more than others in that he’s inconsistent in the same game, flashes of skill but makes bad decisions. Emery could make him much better than he’s so far shown given full fitness.

I think he’ll be here next season unless we can get most of our money back, also think we’ll bring someone in to challenge for that position

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1568 on: May 27, 2023, 08:18:35 AM »
Lo Celso getting linked again, Emery managed him at PSG and signed him twice for Villareal.

Flopped when last in PL though, lazy paper talk I hope.

I've been having a closer look at him since the links continue and I'm struggling to see how he's managed 40 caps for Argentina. Technically I was expecting a lot more and I can't see how he'd fit in, he's not a defensive midfielder, he's not a box to box midfielder and he's certainly not an attacking midfielder though he has played a few decent assists through. He reminds me of the hundreds of midfielders Spurs have wasted money on over the years, looks okay in flashes but paid too much and struggle to get rid of him. He's very Spursy.
that's my memory of him, RCF

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1569 on: May 27, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
It’s possible that Bailey could come good, bit of a cliche but most wingers are inconsistent, Bailey more than others in that he’s inconsistent in the same game, flashes of skill but makes bad decisions. Emery could make him much better than he’s so far shown given full fitness.

I think he’ll be here next season unless we can get most of our money back, also think we’ll bring someone in to challenge for that position

We were saying the same this time last year.  He's two years in now and is still far from convincing. 

I think we will see someone come in during the summer in that position, but not sure that will mean Bailey going. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1570 on: May 27, 2023, 09:40:01 AM »
Love being seduced. Aston Villa usually seduces me, kiss on the neck and nibble on my ear, then just as I get comfy and warm a swift kick in the bollocks. But I can't leave them.

I understand that you'll never leave 'em
But every now and then in the evening
You could get it right first time

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1571 on: May 27, 2023, 09:47:23 AM »

Under 100m imo.

It's a good point.  I heard a manc presenter on the radio the other day saying that the accusations that Machester City have bought  their honours doesn't stack up as their net spend is similar to other clubs. 

What he failed to mention of course was the wages that they can pay enables them to keep their squad together and fends off interest from other clubs.  Very few, if any, other clubs have that luxury.
And then there are the UAE banking arrangements allegedly

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1572 on: May 27, 2023, 09:54:18 AM »
Re the salary bits.

De Bruyne is on 380k a week. That’s where the iffy money comes in, not just transfer spend.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1573 on: May 27, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »
Re the salary bits.

De Bruyne is on 380k a week. That’s where the iffy money comes in, not just transfer spend.

I heard Robotron is on around 900k a week

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1574 on: May 27, 2023, 10:17:49 AM »
Re the salary bits.

Yep. It's being able to keep your best players for a prolonged period that's the key and as you say, where the financial advantages really come in.

I think the relative decline of Real Madrid and Barcelona has helped as they were the two that the even the biggest English clubs couldn't compete with in terms of attracting players.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:20:11 AM by tomd2103 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal